What to do with your stuff...

azato

What does an adventurer do when he goes to town and be normal for a bit. He has expensive armour and for a short period of time he does not want to wear (nobody wants to wear it full time). So, what does he do with it when he goes for supper? Does he leave it in his room? What if he has magical stuff?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What to do with your stuff...

I would think that in a society where such things are common, the PC could likely take their stuff to a bank and have it both held & insured. Of course, this also creates a new plot hook, especially if their stuff has been stolen from said bank while they're in town.

If you want to set it up further, make sure there's a truly detested NPC whom they have helping them. But that's more drama than most people want. Point being - they can keep it in a bank. If there's a Priest in the party, the local Cathedral will also have a decent security staff.

Most FRPG characters I have known carry every material item they own strapped to their bodies at all times. They even sleep in their armor. Some even insist they never sheath their sword or unstring their bow. :rolleyes:

Keith "Twelve bags of holding" Curtis

This is why they all have to have magic bows, as normal ones won't stand up to that. This is ignoring the fact the sword will rust-- and they won't be able to eat because the sword is in one hand and the bow in the other at all times.

Or maybe they strap the bare steel to their body?

Hopefully your host won't breach the laws of hospitality and steal from his/her guests. If he does, he will probably try to kill you too. Either way, you are in serious trouble.

Once you escape, you should raise an army, come back and burn his city/castle to the ground. And hopefully retrieve your stuff.

(If you ever have to stay at an Inn, you are probably too far from home.)

I find it really depends on the characters and games. I prefer to set a tone that things in inns are usually fairly safe (the inn pays off the thieves' guild) so that players will leave things in their rooms.

If you want the players to do something such as walk around without weapons and armor 24/7 it's important not to punish them for following your wishes. If the first time they do it everything get's taken it's your own fault that they want to carry everything with them all the time. Give them a chance to leave things safely and you'll get characters who will do so; at least some of the time. But to do this, you have to start it that way. The tone you set at the beginning of the campaign will follow through to the rest.

I would think that in a society where such things are common, the PC could likely take their stuff to a bank and have it both held & insured. Of course, this also creates a new plot hook, especially if their stuff has been stolen from said bank while they're in town.

If you want to set it up further, make sure there's a truly detested NPC whom they have helping them. But that's more drama than most people want. Point being - they can keep it in a bank. If there's a Priest in the party, the local Cathedral will also have a decent security staff.

wait .... does this mean we can stop bank robberies in Fantasy Hero now too?

sweet! It's the plot that never dies!

If the PC is rich enough, he can have a wizard enchant a hollow-chested iron golem to act as sort of a walking treasure chest and personal bodyguard.

(Of course, said wizard could always have a "failsafe" wherein the golem, upon receiving a certain monetary value of goods, gets up and takes it all back to himself... but we don't want the story to get too complicated. Or do we?)

Hi everyone, long time player, first time posting on this site :)

I think Thia's suggestion is a good one. It can be a balancing act to base decisions on history and what works in the game... especially as the enormous expense of armour would mean 'warriors' as they appear in Fantasy just don't compute.

So I use something similar under the aegis of common sense where 'adventuring is known, if not accepted as a normal way of life'.

The town watch and local government handle armour and large weapons upon entering a city. You wouldn't walk into a McDonalds with an assault-rifle slung over your shoulder and the local officials like to control how dangerous a person is they are allowing within their jurisdiction.

So when entering town, a small fee is taken for the safe storage of your more obviously lethal(magical) equipment. You're allowed a small weapon for self-defense, such as a dagger, but anything else is seen as too overt and 'asking for trouble'.

It's just another spin on what Thia is describing as far as game mechanics go, but theme-wise it has worked well for us :)

This is why they all have to have magic bows' date=' as normal ones won't stand up to that. This is ignoring the fact the sword will rust-- and they won't be able to eat because the sword is in one hand and the bow in the other at all times.[/quote']

HA! GORGOR EAT WITH SWORD! :D

As an aside, I cured my players of always carrying their bows around strung right easily. The first character who insisted on that noticed that he was asked to roll 1 1/2d6 in the first combat, 1+1 d6 in the second, then 1 d6, etc.

cheers, Mark

HA! GORGOR EAT WITH SWORD! :D

As an aside, I cured my players of always carrying their bows around strung right easily. The first character who insisted on that noticed that he was asked to roll 1 1/2d6 in the first combat, 1+1 d6 in the second, then 1 d6, etc.

cheers, Mark

Gorgor wimp, Gorgor should eat sword! :D

You do have a point there-- and I really like what you do with bows. Luckily I haven't seen that much but I've not done a lot of FH gaming lately.

Most FRPG characters I have known carry every material item they own strapped to their bodies at all times. They even sleep in their armor.

Kinda difficult to make satisfactory nookie though Armor 8 over the Vitals, which is about the only occasion I've seen one of said types acknowledge any need to remove the armor. :rolleyes:

(And we won't go into the Evil of asserting that trying to put a Bag of Holding into another Bag of Holding induces a dimensional rift that inverts both bags and sucks both of them and all their contents into one of the Ninety-Seven Thousand Measureless Voids.) :thumbup:

(But be careful ... that last becomes a way of disposing of small, very obnoxious, but indestructible nasties.) :thumbdown

So long as your society is advanced enough to support banks' date=' then yes, absolutely, you can foil medieval bank robbies. Go nuts. :)[/quote']

sweet!! My next fantasy character is going to wear blue tights and tunic with a big red cape... er cloak ...and stop evil!!

woot! :D

Most FRPG characters I have known carry every material item they own strapped to their bodies at all times. They even sleep in their armor. Some even insist they never sheath their sword or unstring their bow. :rolleyes:

Keith "Twelve bags of holding" Curtis

Heh. Yours too, huh?

When my munchiny player announced he slept in his armor, I wasn't quite sure how to explain the headaches his character was waking up with. Instead, I just made it obvious that never taking off one's armor in the world I built is overly paranoid and kind of silly.

This is one of those things Gygax got right in D&D in a historical sense thats been largely lost in modern gaming. The way its usually worked in the real world is hirelings & henchmen. Squires, Ghillies, baggage trains, camp followers, etc, ad naseum.

A Scottish Gallowglaigh heavy infantry mercenary, for instance, usually had two ghillies to help carry, guard, and maintain his gear. They'd join battle as skirmishers using his extra weaponry (often including in later years a musket... this is eventually, AFAIK, where we get name for the modern snipers Ghillie suit). The group formed by a Galowgaligh and his ghillies was known as a Sparr, and a company of galloglas was officially considered 100 sparrs. Considering the dead pay allowance, the actual numbers were usually more like 76 sparrs to a company.

In general, I support the "if you don't want people lugging around inappropriate equipment, don't hassle with it when its left behind" school of thought.

IME, these paranoid players who slept in their armor were paranoid for a reason. GM's (which were usually called DM's back then) would do everything they could to separate you from all of your stuff, and then sic the monsters on you. It wasn't the players' inherent munchkinosity, it was cultivated by an attitude of DM-as-Adversary-and-Right-Bleeding-Bastard. Sleeping in armor meant you wake up feeling like you slept in armor. Not sleeping in armor meant you don't wake up.

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you."

After all, "Dungeon Master" sounds like an evil enemy to be defeated, doesn't it? Someone who runs a dungeon in which you are imprisoned and tortured. OTOH, "Game Master" sounds like the guy in charge of running a game, so you can have fun.

Part of the reason I like to call that other game "B&D".