Desintegrator Weapons

shadowcat1313

Re: Desintegrator Weapons

Cheaper to do that with a Suppress...

Actually here's the thing--if you're shooting for comic-book disintegration, like Star Trek TOS phasers, what you have is basically an all-or-nothing attack, right? We never see any person or object get partially disintegrated. So what's the limitation on an all-or-nothing attack like this?

For effects like this, where you want immediate and total lethality, I've long used an "Instant Kill" House Rule, based on a target taking an amount of BODY damage after Defenses equal to their starting BODY from a single attack (including Coordinated attacks).

If you want serious lethality, that circumstance leads to immediate death - or disintegration in this case. Weapons that are supposed to be "one-shot/one-kill" become feasible on lower Active Points. For more "cinematic" games where you want heroes to have a chance to escape this fate, I recommend a CON roll after taking that amount of BODY damage. If the roll is failed, the character dies due to shock. Mere normal bystanders with CON of 8-10 have an 11- chance of dying immediately, so if you prefer lots of NPC casualties you can just assume that they failed their rolls. :eg:

Actually here's the thing--if you're shooting for comic-book disintegration, like Star Trek TOS phasers, what you have is basically an all-or-nothing attack, right? We never see any person or object get partially disintegrated. So what's the limitation on an all-or-nothing attack like this?

All-or-nothing is a -1/2 Limitation on Transform. Since Transform is explicitly based on Killing Attacks, I'd consider it fair to apply that to a damaging Power with that Restriction.

The SFX of the Disintegration failing, is that it in fact missed the target, no matter what the Attack Roll said.

Why' date=' were you planning on getting hit?[/quote']

No.

In the 1st Ed. Star Trek RPG there was a completely broken stat that seemed to be the default for anything critical (life or death, success of failure, promotion, ship assignment, etc): luck. And the ship's luck roll defaulted to that of the Captain. All aliens had some negative to their stat roll (D100), but humans didn't. Vulcan's actually divided their roll by 2 - it sucked to be Vulcan (even though you were burly compared to everyone else). I had a character with a 99% luck roll. He became Captain faster than you can say "screw the prime directive..."

No.

In the 1st Ed. Star Trek RPG there was a completely broken stat that seemed to be the default for anything critical (life or death, success of failure, promotion, ship assignment, etc): luck. And the ship's luck roll defaulted to that of the Captain. All aliens had some negative to their stat roll (D100), but humans didn't. Vulcan's actually divided their roll by 2 - it sucked to be Vulcan (even though you were burly compared to everyone else). I had a character with a 99% luck roll. He became Captain faster than you can say "screw the prime directive..."

[snort] Yeah. And I had the bad luck to roll a 40% Luck score when creating my human character... :hush::nonp:

Cheaper yes but I think that with a Supress, once you stop Supressing the Body . . they're now alive again (weird I know).

At least I seem to recall something said to this effect either in the FAQ or in FrED revised . . don't have a book handy at the momeny.

You are correct, Vanguard. From the FAQ:

A character who has positive BODY, and is Suppressed into negative BODY, does not lose more BODY in Post-Segment 12. If reduced to negative his BODY solely due to Suppress, a character “dies” for all intents and purposes, but comes back to life when the Suppress ceases to apply.

Cheaper yes but I think that with a Supress, once you stop Supressing the Body . . they're now alive again (weird I know).

At least I seem to recall something said to this effect either in the FAQ or in FrED revised . . don't have a book handy at the momeny.

That why you make it 0 END, Persistant.

Yes, I have a PC with a Disintegration (dis-integrate, dagnabbit, not 'des') anyway, spelling nitpicks aside.

Cap is 90 Active for magick, I declared that it would be a Major Transform, All or Nothing (-1/2), and since the saving throw in d20 is a Fort Save, the onus simply goes back on the player to roll high on the dice. Average peasant? 16 BODY (8, then another 8 to Transform). He has a pool of six transform dice, averaging 3.5 x 6 = 21 points, and the defense is, of course, Power Defense which almost no one has just walking around. A few points of Power Defense will likely keep this version from tac-nuking you.

Power: Disintegration

Requires END: No (Charges)

Effect: All or Nothing attack, 6d6 Transform

Return Condition: True Ressurection, Wish, Miracle or similarly absurdly high magical effect.

Suppress Body, Uncontrolled, usable on yourself only.

THAT'S how you build Feign Death in this system. Huh.

Or you could just go off an' buy the "Simulate Death" Talent. :winkgrin:

If'n you think it's too weak (cause of allowing Paramedic rolls and all that), I'd say it's OK if'n you buy it two or three (or more, maybe) times, so's you can add up all the negatives and such.