Else Earth Naming Game...

Enforcer84

Okay, I am thinking maybe I should start getting my Else Earth campaign setting together in a serious manner.

my default VIPER wannabe group is right now called the Iron Right. And, to be susinct, I hate that name.

Basically, this is a group of "Evil Businessmen" with a facist streak. They operate mostly in America (as the Divine Right has much of the other continents covered, sort of), and intend to take over, preferably in a sneaky, behind the scenes way. Of course, they are an over the top paramilitary organization, so sneaky and subtle have to be taken into context.

Names I have bandied about are:

The Right

The Iron Fist

The Iron Crusade

FIST

beyond that I'm stumped.

Re: Else Earth Naming Game...

I was thinking along the same lines as David Johnston, but my suggestions would be an ultraconservative think tank or even a corporation.

The Citizen's Syndicate

The Patriot League

The International Studies Group for Peace and Order

Multinational Action Coalition for Extreme Situations (okay, that's a bad one)

North American Metahuman Action Front (NAMAF)

Sheesh, these are awful! Hopefully you're more creative than me.

Matt "Senior-moment" Frisbee

I've done the "alliance of evil corporations" tack myself, quite successfully. I agree with David and Matt that the names you're suggesting don't really fit the image of "evil businessmen." They're more along the lines of more overt, colorful villain orgs. IMHO business-based groups work better either as practical-sounding names with ominous undertones (like my personal favorite, The ReDirection Cartel from Kingdom of Champions), or as catchy, marketable acronyms, like ARGENT in the current CU (Advanced Research Group ENTerprises).

In the former case, the name ought to include some "businesslike" words, such as "Corporation," "Cartel," or "Syndicate." Combine that with something grandiose and you get a rather unsettling mix of arrogance and banality. E.g. "The Olympus Cartel" or "Corporate Destiny."

Entrepenuerial Ventures International League? Too subtle? LOL

THE MAN

THEY

Something in Latin always sounds pompus.

Rich Fat White Balding Heatless Bastards?

Christian Charity for Orphaned Kittens.

NOONE would suspect a group with a name like that!

You know, a rather innocuous-sounding name that the group's founders view differently than most people might not be a bad way to go. Witness the CU's "Institute for Human Advancement," whose members have their own definitions of "human" and "advancement." To the general public, though, it would sound like a pretty positive-spirited group.

Perhaps you could use something like "The Foundation for Economic Justice." It's just that the heads of the Foundation consider "economic justice" to be "all the wealth of the world in the hands of ruthless bastiches like us!" :eg:

Thanks for the responses. So a "Villain Orgnization" style name wouldn't throw their foes off the trail?

They have several "Foundations" and "Centers" to be their propaganda machines, they front several big companies. But the evil orgnaiztion with snazy uniforms and blaster rifles they kind of want to keep seperate.

Thanks for the responses. So a "Villain Orgnization" style name wouldn't throw their foes off the trail?

They have several "Foundations" and "Centers" to be their propaganda machines, they front several big companies. But the evil orgnaiztion with snazy uniforms and blaster rifles they kind of want to keep seperate.

In that case, maybe the core group could call itself something like "The Harrington Foundation" (just pick a real world huge company and fiddle with it). The group that is intended to attract public attention is tougher.

How about "Freikorps"?

German word for Militia, so it can attract neo-Nazi types. Means "Free Corps", so American Militia types can spin it as a populist thing. Free Corps will also tickle the corporate types who actually control it, as it reflects their true goals. And the Supers Division becomes the Freak Corps.

Oh, well, that's different. :) That opens up a whole range of possibilities, which don't necessarily have to refer directly to the main group. If you would like to keep the business theme, though, how about calling the armed group "The Corporate Raiders," "Hostile Takeover" or "The Acquisition Division"?

DYNASTY

(tie in with "Divine Right" while being different, US has various economic and political dynasties of its own - Rockefellers, Kennedys, etc. Could take a further leap and have them take their over-the-top motiff from Dynastic Egypt, with Battlestar Galactica type helmets, the leader is "The Pharoah" etc.)

In that case, maybe the core group could call itself something like "The Harrington Foundation" (just pick a real world huge company and fiddle with it). The group that is intended to attract public attention is tougher.

How about "Freikorps"?

German word for Militia, so it can attract neo-Nazi types. Means "Free Corps", so American Militia types can spin it as a populist thing. Free Corps will also tickle the corporate types who actually control it, as it reflects their true goals. And the Supers Division becomes the Freak Corps.

And the leader of the Freicorps Freak Corps division? A science animated zombie super soldier called The Freak Corpse!

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

What?

:D

DYNASTY

(tie in with "Divine Right" while being different, US has various economic and political dynasties of its own - Rockefellers, Kennedys, etc. Could take a further leap and have them take their over-the-top motiff from Dynastic Egypt, with Battlestar Galactica type helmets, the leader is "The Pharoah" etc.)

I like that, SS. I may have found a winner.

• 1 month later...

Okay...I do most of my "Writing" as I am lying in bed trying to sleep.

so...

Tiers.

It's not a new concept, I imagine, it's a universal one. My villain/NPC groups come in tiers.

Tier 1

Pottery and nickknacks...no wait, that's something else.

Tier 1:

"Street Level"

"Low Level"

"Solo Heroes"

Tier 2

"Standard Level"

"Team Heroes"

Tier 3

"High level"

"Cosmic Heroes"

etc...

So when I am designing villains I consciously or no, put them on my tiers.

Why am I typing this? I am tired.

Anyway, last night as I was thinking of The Tommorow Legion (they have their own thread) I was pondering their villainous counterparts.

Marvel has AIM

DC has...Lex Luthor?

Champions has ARGENT

I have...well I don't know what I have.

If anyone read my "rebirth of Professeur Muerte" thread along time ago, will remember I had ARGENT as something of an Office Max for Supervillains. That's what my organization is.

This is the mid tier organization, they aren't trying to take over the world, it's like a union of midcard mad scientists.

I'm looking at Acronyms and the one I like best is

Globally

Advancing

Technological

Endeavors

or GATE. But perhaps not. I used an acronym generator and didn't get what I wanted...

AIM is a great name Advanced Idea Mechanics? Perfect!

I want something simple. They aren't trying to rule the world so I am trying to limit the "evil" "conquest" and other words. Perhaps

The Consortium for International Technological Excellence?

I dunno.

help me out?

As to tiers.

I look at Marvel like this:

The Tinker

AIM

..? Is there another criminal tech organization that sells technology? Are they more or less formidable than the guys in the beekeeper outfits?

For Champions 5th:

Wayland Talos

Brainchild

ARGENT

Various master scientists:Telios, Warlord, does DR. Destroyer do temp work? :)

I'll probably have one or two below my Office Max of Evil but I'm not sure who...

If they're going to be low-key back-end suppliers, and not go around blasting things in their bright-yellow outfits with ashcan helmets, why not just call them something that sounds mundane, but that those in the know will know to capitalize when they talk about it?

"I need to get some more androids from...The Shop."

"Where's that neural interface we bought from...The Store?"

"Go pick up some more blasters from...The Warehouse."

Or howabout "ACME - Advanced Concepts, Manufacturing, and Engineering"

Basically' date=' this is a group of "Evil Businessmen" with a facist streak. They operate mostly in America (as the Divine Right has much of the other continents covered, sort of), and intend to take over, preferably in a sneaky, behind the scenes way. Of course, they are an over the top paramilitary organization, so sneaky and subtle have to be taken into context.[/quote']Well, Stargate has The Trust, while Buffy had The Initiative. Okay, not necessarily "facist".

My thoughts are while it should be something innocuous, it should still have a slightly sinister ring to it, for it to remain in genre. It helps if there's a little misdirection involved.

L.O.C.A.B.E.R.

Loyal Organisation of Conservative American Businessmen, Entrepreneurs and Researchers.

A Locaber is a type of axe (Alt. Spelling of Lochaber), so fosters the image of brutal lethality for it's paramilitary angle, yet the acronym rings all the right bells for organisations like PRIMUS and Homeland Defence.

I don't actually recommend the LOCABER title, as the acronym is a somewhat forced, it's mainly and example.

Well, for evil businessmen I always liked Evil Unlimited (or EU) In Brave New World RPG. They were actually an "evil" corporation with hundreds of dummy corporations as well as legit ones they owned and worked out of. They supplied super villians with weapons and/or henchmen and so forth with a promised cut of the profit. they would draw up the whole deal with contracts and such.:thumbup:

As for an AIM type organization I once came up with:

Kindred

Renegade

Operational

Network of

Outlaw

Scientists

(I think i picked the acronym up from and old Champs Universe timeline. It was like a throw away organization and it was never stated what it stood for so I became creative);)

Later I just changed their name to Helix

Edit: I just remembered, over in Green Ronin's Foes of Freedom there was detailed and organization called the Foundry. they supplied the underworld with weapons and robots and such.