Nato

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*ahem*

Xanadu.

*cricket* *cricket*

...*sigh* Okay, okay. In...1992 or so, ABC ran a series called "Covington Cross". It lasted maybe 6 episodes, but not from lack of quality. It wasn't a fantasy series, really; it was a medieval family drama...with swords, crossbows, hot red-headed horse-ridin' sword-swingin' daughters and swords and crossbows and the hot redhead.

Awesome.

Speakin' of brief-lived TV on ABC, there's the totally freaking radical program that was replaced by "Baywatch":

The Henson Hour.

Thirty minutes of Muppety hijinks followed by thirty minutes of Labyrinth-quality art design and asbsolutely beautiful productions of classic farie tales, including the ones no one's ever heard of. Double awesome, order of killer, biggie-sized!

So where're you gonna get this stuff? Hell if I know. I'm assuming you're all a bunch of crafty, resourceful little devils who can get ahold of video unattainable by me, so obviously you can work the magic and get your mitts on this goodness.

Huzzah!

Oh, hey, here. Last night Fraulein Codename (my wife) and I went to see Sinbad- Legend of the Seven Seas, starring Catherine Zeta-Jones, Michelle Pfeiffer and Michelle Pfeiffer's character's hair. It's a DreamWorks animated flick with no dang singing.

What do you want in your fantasy movie? Here, lessee...

• Swordfights? Check.
  • Over-the-top heroics? Check.
  • A quest? Check.
  • Divine intervention? All over the place.
  • Sexy, competent love interest? Yes. Hubba. Check.
  • Giant monsters? Two. No, wait -- three.
  • Planar travel? Check.
  • Exotic locales? Briefly, but check.
  • Fertile ground for a campaign setting of your own? It worked for me!
  • Funny NPCs? Check.
  • Slobbering dog? Check.
  • Your wife comes home and makes a pirate-chick PC with HERO Designer as soon as she can sit down? Well, mine did, so check.

...and no singing, no cute talking animals, plus innuendo aplenty. It's not so much a fantasy romp for kids as much as it is a fantasy flick that kids can watch with their parents. And you eventually forget that the guy doing Sinbad's voice is that one guy from that movie I didn't wanna see.

Swordfights, man.

Rotwang! sez check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Dr Rotwang!

Okay, okay. In...1992 or so, ABC ran a series called "Covington Cross". It lasted maybe 6 episodes, but not from lack of quality.

I'll take issue with you on that one. Despite the presence of Excalibur alumni NIgel Terry and Cherie Lunghi, that show pretty much blew. I'll give 'em some points for even attempting such a thing, though. :)

Robin of Sherwood

Ha! I have one that no one's mentioned yet (I think).

Robin of Sherwood

Known as "Robin Hood" to us Yanks who watched it on Showtime in the mid-80's. A really spiffy adaptation of the Robin Hood legend that ran through two different Robins (one played by Jason Connery), and had Robert Addie (who played Mordred in Excalibur) playing an excellent Sir Guy of Gisburne. The added bits about the "seven swords of Wayland" (iirc) and the druid mentor of Robin's were very inspiring to the young gamer I was back then.

And let's not forget Wizards & Warriors , with Jeff Conaway (of Taxi and Grease fame) and Julia Duffy (Newhart and Designing Women).

I mean, a D&D spoof sitcom on national TV! Good times...

Watership Down. One of the greatest hero-quests ever told, gorgeous old-fashioned animation, and one of the greatest villains ever. "For generations to come, mothers would tell their young to behave, or the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument; and in truth, it might not have displeased him." dw

With regards to the BBC adaptation of Gormenghast, yes they did do a mini series of it.

Also another film to throw into the melting pot so to speak are

Prince Valiant

There`s also the aninated films of a couple of Terry Pratchett books to consider,

Soul Music

Wyrd Sisters.

Originally posted by Darren Watts

Watership Down. One of the greatest hero-quests ever told,...

Oh God no. My parents took me to see this when I was way too young. Look at all the cute little bunnies! Look at them killing each other and being buried alive! Look at the fields of blood and the obviously undead Black Rabbit!

When I was grown a friend of mine made me watch it again on laserdisc, to show me that it wasn't nearly as disturbing as I thought it was. But it is.

Originally posted by buzz

I'll take issue with you on that one. Despite the presence of Excalibur alumni NIgel Terry and Cherie Lunghi, [Covington Cross] pretty much blew.

Really? I don't remember. How so? Dude, this's 10 years ago and I barely watched it.

I...think. I was getting an early start on Totally Hating the Nineties and therefore ignoring stuff back then.

Originally posted by Dr Rotwang!

Really? I don't remember. How so? Dude, this's 10 years ago and I barely watched it.

See Steve's response. :)

"Covington Cross" was basically a primetime soap set in a poorly-realized medieval setting. It could be forgiven if its failed attempts at any sort of realistic depiction of medieval culture were balanced by good acting and good stories. Unfortunately, it was deviod of those as well.

Basically, take a really bad Harlequin romance writer's perception of the middle ages and add cast members better suited to 90210, and you've got "Covington Cross." Adding Terry and Lunghi was an obvious (and pathetic) attempt at adding some sort of legitimacy.

Originally posted by Old Man

Oh God no. My parents took me to see this when I was way too young. Look at all the cute little bunnies! Look at them killing each other and being buried alive! Look at the fields of blood and the obviously undead Black Rabbit!

When I was grown a friend of mine made me watch it again on laserdisc, to show me that it wasn't nearly as disturbing as I thought it was. But it is.

Ahhhh,

Explains why you feel the way you do about this presidency.....

Re: Robin of Sherwood

Originally posted by buzz

Ha! I have one that no one's mentioned yet (I think).

Robin of Sherwood

Known as "Robin Hood" to us Yanks who watched it on Showtime in the mid-80's. A really spiffy adaptation of the Robin Hood legend that ran through two different Robins (one played by Jason Connery), and had Robert Addie (who played Mordred in Excalibur) playing an excellent Sir Guy of Gisburne. The added bits about the "seven swords of Wayland" (iirc) and the druid mentor of Robin's were very inspiring to the young gamer I was back then.

And let's not forget Wizards & Warriors , with Jeff Conaway (of Taxi and Grease fame) and Julia Duffy (Newhart and Designing Women).

I mean, a D&D spoof sitcom on national TV! Good times...

Actually I thought the "Druid Mentor" was the ancient god himslef walking the world and guiding his servant.

and did not Wizards and Warriors have Tom Hanks as the mentally unstable person in the group?

Re: Re: Robin of Sherwood

Hate to get all negative on ya, but...

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

Actually I thought the "Druid Mentor" was the ancient god himslef walking the world and guiding his servant.

I'm not sure. I remember we got to see the "druid" with his horned cowl off, and he was just some guy, so I'm not sure if he was supposed to be a god or not.

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

and did not Wizards and Warriors have Tom Hanks as the mentally unstable person in the group?

No, you're thinking of Mazes & Monsters, a made-for-TV movie based on Rona Jaffee's hysterically stupid anti-D&D novel. This was a TV sitcom from the early '80s.

Guest Worldmaker

Re: another cheesy b-movie

Originally posted by Gandalf5

If we're going to bring up Deathstalker and Hawk the Slayer, how can any one forget that super cheesy Conan rip-off, Ator the Fighting Eagle starring Miles O'Keefe (who also played Tarzan with Bo Derek as Jane), both fine examples of wasted celluloid.

Is that the one where he invents aerodynamics and light-metal alloys, explosives, and contact fuses, then builds a hang-glider with which to drop bombs on the evil wizard's castle?

I seem to remember a barbarian wearing ray-bans and a set of tire tracks in that movie, too...