WWYCD? "You are on a path..."

Drhoz

Right! Psychology test time! This is one of the classics, and about as believable as any of the others (i.e, not very)

It's an interesting test, specially when you interpret your own results at the end of it, and certainly worth doing for yourself. But it's not yourself that we're testing here today (but feel free to write them down somewhere before you do it for your character - it's worth it)

Your character has been sent to, interviewed by, or gone to for his or her own reasons, a practising psychologist (hell, maybe even Dr Blink, Superhero Shrink).

The brain-doc leans across with a well-practised expression of neutral concern, pen and notebook in hand, and explains the exercise as follows...

"You are on a path - picture it in your mind and describe it to me.

"As you walk along the path you find a cup - describe it, and what you do with it.

"Further down the path you find a key - describe it, and what you do with it.

"You continue down your path and encounter a bear! How do you deal with the situation?

"Beyond the bear you reach a clearing - what is it like?

"On the far side of the clearing fallen trees block you way - how do you deal with them?

"You continue on your way and come across a body of water - describe it, and tell me if you drink from it.

"Your path reaches a fork - one branch leads to a village, the other deeper into the woods - which do you take?"

Write up your responses, post them below...

Once you've done that you're supposed to reflect upon how your replies might correlate to the events and what they're supposed to symbolise. In this case we're imagining how your character responds to this bit of self-analysis (I can here smell the neurons frying from here)

Most of the correlations are fairly traditional and widely used, or obvious in hindsight, which may well add to the effectiveness of the actual test. You're then supposed to consider how your responses correlate with your attitudes, which turns it back into "My god! That's just like me!" regardless of what you actually said, but never mind

The Path - Just the set-up really, but it could be interesting

The Cup - Knowledge! An old sort of symbolism, but an appropriate one

The Key - Wisdom! An important distinction, too

The Bear - Adversity & how you deal with it

The Clearing - General outlook on life

The Fallen Trees - Obstacles and problems - I'm not sure how this differs from the bear, but at least the trees won't eat you.

The Water- This one usually raises a few protests. The water, appropriately, is quite an old symbol for your sexuality

The Fork - They don't explain this one in the comic below, but it's meant to represent your views and attitudes towards other people.

If you want to see how the Knights of the Dinner Table handled it, then go read this. (Altho it's rather dial-up unfriendly)

So post your character's results and analysis below, and lets see if it gives you more of a handle on them

Re: WWYCD? "You are on a path..."

Since Soulbarb in her secret ID has actually had to endure going to see a psychologist, I'll write it up from her PoV, as if she were answering these questions in her secret ID while visiting said shrink.

She'd probably start with it being an alley deep in the bowels of the city... which kind of wrecks a lot of the other questions. So if the shrink specifies that the path is in the countryside, in a forest, she'll roll her eyes, shrug, and say 'You describe it then.'

"As you walk along the path you find a cup - describe it, and what you do with it.

Soulbarb will probably say it's an old china teacup with a chipped rim. She'd pick it up and wonder what it's doing lying on a path in the middle of nowhere. She'd take it with her to see if she can find out the answer to that question.

Soulbarb would describe it as a heavy, ornate brass key, probably for an old-fashioned door lock. Again, she'd wonder why it was there, pick it up, and keep going.

"You continue down your path and encounter a bear! How do you deal with the situation?

She'd respond that most bears don't want a confrontation with people, and as soon as she saw it she'd begin making noise. The noise isn't intended to scare the bear away so much as let it know she's there so that the bear can avoid her. This assumes the bear is reasonably far off and not obviously angry or anything. In the latter case, she knows that most bears won't eat carrion, so it's often wise to simply play dead. In short, she uses her head. Privately, she considers that the bear isn't anything to worry about; if the bear's feeling particularily aggressive, she can just punch it out if need be, though she probably still wouldn't seek a confrontation with it. Fighting a bear for grins isn't high on her list of things to do.

Around this point Soulbarb's getting tired of these silly questions. She says, 'It's a clearing in the woods, with grass in it. What more do you want to know?'

"On the far side of the clearing fallen trees block you way - how do you deal with them?

'Climb over them,' she says shortly, patience wearing thin. Privately she thinks that she'd have no trouble simply tossing them out of the way either, if need be.

"You continue on your way and come across a body of water - describe it, and tell me if you drink from it.

'In the middle of a forest? Probably it's a pond, or a swamp, with lots of algae and stuff. And drinking untreated water when you have no idea what kinds of bacteria and stuff live in it would be pretty stupid, right?' she'd reply scornfully.

"Your path reaches a fork - one branch leads to a village, the other deeper into the woods - which do you take?"

'If it will mean that you stop asking me stupid questions about this path through the forest, I'll say the village,' she responds with asperity.

In this case we're imagining how your character responds to this bit of self-analysis (I can here smell the neurons frying from here)

Soulbarb thinks it's a load of tripe, but she doesn't have much use for this sort of self-analysis (or psychologists in general for that matter). Since Soulbarb took a very literal approach to answering the questions, her answers probably don't reveal much about her other than that she's a very reality-grounded person whose actions are governed more by reason and logic than by emotion or imagination.

Soulbarb thinks it's a load of tripe, but she doesn't have much use for this sort of self-analysis (or psychologists in general for that matter). Since Soulbarb took a very literal approach to answering the questions, her answers probably don't reveal much about her other than that she's a very reality-grounded person whose actions are governed more by reason and logic than by emotion or imagination.

If you are take those symbols seriously then it would also suggest that she regards knowledge as something potentially useful but imperfect, while wisdom is more important and valuable, that sex is something dirty and risky, that she regards herself as competent to handle any situation without feeling threatened, and that she prefers direct confrontation to avoidance.

Badger

Path-just an ordinary dirt path found in the woods, somewhat twisty, heavy foliage and trees around.

Cup- Just a plastic red cup.

Key- Made of Brass. The handle is in the shape of an open ring. The end has 2 or 3 "teeth"

The Bear- take a cautious posture to show I mean no harm, cautiously walk around. (He tends to respect wild animals and kills them for food only, unless absolutely necessary)

The clearing- small clearing, grassy. cant really think of anything else

The knocked over trees- move them out of the way and proceed

The creek- Slow moving. Quiet. Clear water. Shallow. Not drink unless really thirsty.

the fork- would go deeper in the woods

If you are take those symbols seriously then it would also suggest that she regards knowledge as something potentially useful but imperfect' date=' while wisdom is more important and valuable, that sex is something dirty and risky, that she regards herself as competent to handle any situation without feeling threatened, and that she prefers direct confrontation to avoidance.[/quote']

you took the words right out of my mouth

Assault wouldn't be in this situation unless he was forced. He would be distinctly surly and possibly openly hostile to the shrink, and wouldn't be particularly cooperative or truthful in his responses. In short, getting a straight answer out of him would be exceedingly difficult, and even if you could it would be coloured by his (bad) mood.

In short' date=' getting a straight answer out of him would be exceedingly difficult, and even if you could it would be coloured by his (bad) mood.[/quote']

how so? I'm interested to know. Would the clearing be lined with psychologist's heads on spikes?

This time I'm going to put Vitus through it. Admittedly I can't guarantee how spontaneous this will be, given I know how the test works now, but I'll try to be a honest to the character as possible (actually, it's a little scary how easily I slip into Vitus's mindset) The other question would be why is he doing the test in the first place? Maybe he's undergoing psychological assessment after finally snapping and melting a bus-load of nuns, or something.

You are on a path - picture it in your mind and describe it to me.

*narrowed and suspicious eyes* And this will tell you what exactly? Very well... The Caravan Route from Heiropolis to Phoenix Oasis. I'm just outside the place of my birth, the sun is beginning to rise over the dunes, the sand is hard-packed beneath my feet and the dawn breeze is stirring the leaves of the palms. The sky is a beautiful deep purple, washed with gold.

As you walk along the path you find a cup - describe it, and what you do with it

A baked clay beaker, glazed inside, painted red outside, in triangles.... just like the one my grandmother gave me when I learnt to walk. She made it herself, baked it herself, and it still bears the mark of her paws beneath the decoration.

Further down the path you find a key - describe it, and what you do with it

Strange.. there isn't much to lock in the village. I'll have to examine it more closely - gnollish workmanship would be obvious, from the quality. Presumably some visitor dropped it, if it isn't. Take it with me to find the owner, first - somebody will know what to do with it.

You continue down you personal path and encounter a bear! How do you deal with the situation?

What's a bear? (
about the only mammalian species on Aura are the intelligent ones and the horses used by the Heiropolian cavalry
) Ok... so it's not an intelligent species... examine it for residual summoning energy, in case it's been deliberately called up. No? then it's a chance creation of an Aurastorm, and probably starving to death after days in the desert. Blind it with the first spell, then hit it with the lethal magics, then poke it with a stick to make sure it's dead.

Beyond the bear you reach a clearing

The rocky hill above the village - where the old stone watchtower ruin is. Big. Old, so old, block of yellow sandstone, and the stairs that wind up the inside and look out over the desert.

On the far side of the clearing fallen trees block your way - how do you deal with them?

Who knocked them down? We need those trees! Phoenix Oasis might have thousands upon thousands of palms, desert plums, and sand date, but that doesn't mean we can let them be knocked down for no good reason! Were they diseased? Dry Blight? Giant woodwasps? Are they ready to be burned? Why leave them over the road like this? Or were they smashed down? Is there a crater? (
the crater he caused himself upon his return to what he thought was Aura doesn't even occur to him
) Do bears knock over trees? How big are these bear things anyway? I'm going to find out who's responsible and have a piece of their hide.

You continue on your way and come across a body of water - describe it, and tell me if you drink from it.

Hmm.. that would have to be the Second Pool. Cool and shaded under the Great Palms. It's got a low stone wall, oh, generations old now, and stairs, and a drinking trough. There should be people about. At the very least a merchant's cargo-geckos lined up under the trees. I wouldn't be thirsty that early in the morning. When the sun comes up later, certainly.

(now that's he's met
Concubine 3
the answer will probably be 'drink deeply with both paws, throwing my head back to enjoy the cool clean water flowing down my throat, and the feel of the droplets on my muzzlefur')

Your path reaches a fork - one branch leads to a village, the other deeper into the woods - which do you take?

The village *shaking with emotion by this point* Definitely the village.

Special Agent Trent has been sent to see a phychiatrist. He'd rather not be there, but orders are orders.

*sigh* It's a dirt path in the woods. Pine trees or something on the sides.

A plastic picnic cup. I pick it up so I can throw it away when I find a trash can.

A padlock key, I guess. I take it. I also check the area for other evidence.

I fly over it.

. . .

It's an ordinary clearing. Less trees, more grass.

I fly over them.

Hmm. A stream, I suppose. I've had the basic survival training, so no, I don't drink unsterilized water.

The village, so I can get out of this d***ed exercise and get some coffee.

I noted this one on your LiveJournal, Dhroz, so I already knew the answers, but these answers are for Terminus, not me.

The Path

"It's a concrete flagstone path, winding through a lightly wooded estate. Every now and then there's a small building like a gazebo or a toolshed, but mostly it's wildland. The air is cool and speaks of rain to come."

I see this as being the kind of environment Kex grew up in, in northern England. It's the first environment he ever experienced.

The Cup

"It's a simple plastic beaker, smooth and unadorned. It's cheap and does the job."

Knowledge creates things, makes things, like a cup, or Kex himself.

The Key

"It's a magnetic strip key-card, red and white, with the EDSO symbol on one side. It opens the door to the crisis room in the basement of the manor."

Wisdom is largely the application of knowledge, and it should be applied in appropriate ways.

The Bear

"I wait. If the bear moves on and goes about it's business, good. If it attacks me, I kill it."

Adversity doesn't necessarily need to be dealt with; it can solve itself. But if you must deal with it, do so head on.

The Clearing

"The trees end and there's just a flat, dusty oval of soil and sand. On one side, someone has started putting down some paving and marked out a building foundation."

Life is a pointless and worthless thing on it's own. It's what you do with it that matters.

Fallen Trees

"I check in case this is an ambush. If it isn't, I just vault them and continue on my way."

Obstacles may harbour danger - but if not, they aren't worth worrying about. Haul ass and bypass!

The Water

"It's a canal, deep and wide and full of swift moving water. I drink deeply of the sweet water to slake my thirst."

Kex is a highly sexual being, but he prefers relationships with length and depth.

The Fork

"To the village."

Kex was made to serve humans, and quite enjoys being among people.

If you are take those symbols seriously then it would also suggest that she regards knowledge as something potentially useful but imperfect' date=' while wisdom is more important and valuable, that sex is something dirty and risky, that she regards herself as competent to handle any situation without feeling threatened, and that she prefers direct confrontation to avoidance.[/quote']

Well, you'd be partly right, but it's mostly by happenstance.

Soulbarb is a fast brick whose power origin is a misfired demonic ritual sacrifice, but her attitude and world-view is very reminiscent of Batman. Knowledge is actually very important to her; she always tries to get as much intelligence as she can before going out crime-fighting. Wisdom is another matter; Soulbarb tries to be as wise as she can be, but there are times when she can be too pragmatic and is sometimes tempted to believe that the end justifies the means. Soulbarb doesn't feel sex is particularily dirty, at least not for other people, but as a consequence of having been raped by a demon, it's not something she's at all interested in. She is pretty confident in her ability to handle herself, but whether she prefers direct confrontation to avoidance depends on how dangerous she feels the situation is. Generally she prefers to operate with stealth and from surprise when she can, and if she were faced with a challenge where she were facing a completely unknown foe, she'd probably prefer to avoid him if she could do so and still accomplish whatever she had set out to do.

For Blackcat:

A simple treadworn path, though the mountains.

A simple tin cup. Make sure it is empty and hook it to the waist for future use.

A old fashoned key. Leave it upon the path, someone will need it."

I use body language to assure it I mean no harm. If it gets aggrassive, I kiai to scare it off.

The path has been fairly clear already, but the clearing is of soft grass.

A fallen tree on a path that has no tree. Hmm.. Anyway - I leap over it. If it cannot be lept over, or gotten around easily, I stike it, and clear a path

A large crystal clear lake. No.

No woods. I said that. But anyway - depends on my mood. Village if I am feeling sociable woods if I feel like meditating on nature. Given I probably meditated in the clearing or at the lakeshore I go to the villiage to see if anyone can use help. Maybe I'll go back and get the key, if someone is missing it.

much intelligence as she can before going out crime-fighting. Wisdom is another matter; Soulbarb tries to be as wise as she can be' date=' but there are times when she can be too pragmatic and is sometimes tempted to believe that the end justifies the means. [/quote']

Wisdom doesn't have to be nice. I might as well do it for Poet. After all, he's an escaped mental patient.

Path: A narrow, clear footpath that leads through a dense old forest that blocks out the light.

Cup: A plain brass goblet.

Key: An oversized black iron key.

Bear: I step out of it's way as much as possible.

Clearing: Moonlight shines on a small circle of standing stones.

Fallen Tree: I ask my friends to help me move it out of the way.

Water: A still pool that reflects moonlight. I drink if I'm thirsty.

Fork: Um...I don't know. I guess I'd ask my friends what they want to do.

There's a similar (perhaps the same) test given in Paul Zindel's "The Pigman" so I already knew about this test and my answers might end up rigged... but still' date=' it might be fun to tinker with in character. Good idea :)[/quote']

thankyou :)

Right! Psychology test time! This is one of the classics, and about as believable as any of the others (i.e, not very)

It's an interesting test, specially when you interpret your own results at the end of it, and certainly worth doing for yourself. But it's not yourself that we're testing here today (but feel free to write them down somewhere before you do it for your character - it's worth it)

Your character has been sent to, interviewed by, or gone to for his or her own reasons, a practising psychologist (hell, maybe even Dr Blink, Superhero Shrink).

The brain-doc leans across with a well-practised expression of neutral concern, pen and notebook in hand, and explains the exercise as follows...

As Devilfire is a villain, this is probably one of the shrinks at a superprison after the do gooders captured him. Since DF is co-inhabiting the body of Greg Anderson, I'll provide answers for both.

You are on a path - picture it in your mind and describe it to me.

Devilfire: "It winds through a forrest of dead trees, each black and twisted like a demon claw. Thunder and lightening are clashing in the starless night sky."

Greg: "It's a gravel road through scenic countryside on a clear spring day."

"As you walk along the path you find a cup - describe it, and what you do with it."

Devilfire: "Ah, a fine looking vessel of silver bearing a fanged, demonic visage on either side. It contains about a pint of blood, virgin's blood judging by the taste. I chug it on down and feel the invigoration."

Greg: "It's a Seven-Eleven drink cup that some thoughtless person threw out their car window. I hate litterbugs."

Further down the path you find a key - describe it, and what you do with it.

Devilfire: "It's one of the keys to the Portals Of Hell™. Looks like God's little mallrat dropped one..." [lurid chuckle]

Greg: "Looks like car keys. I look around for the vehicle they go to."

You continue down your path and encounter a bear! How do you deal with the situation?

Devilfire: "I'm astonished to find something living in such a blighted place. Bears, like most dumb animals, flee from us demons on sight, so no worries there. Hell, I might give it a good look at my 'game face' just for sh*ts and giggles."

Greg: "If I'm in the car I found, I honk the horn to frieghten it off. If I'm on foot, I curl up into the fetal position and hope to God it just goes away."

Beyond the bear you reach a clearing - what is it like?

Devilfire: "In the center is a black stone alter on which lay a freshly sacrificed virgin. I climb up and freshen my drink."

Greg: "I see one of those concrete picnic tables and a barbaque grill like they have at campsites around the lake."

On the far side of the clearing fallen trees block you way - how do you deal with them?

Devilfire: "Hee Hee. I'm a fire demon sweet cheeks. I set them ablaze and stroll merrily through the ashes once they're consumed."

Greg: "I take a short cut around them."

You continue on your way and come across a body of water - describe it, and tell me if you drink from it.

Devilfire: "It's the River Styx, the most foul and poluted river in all of Hell. I go for a dip, but I'll not dumb enough to drink from it."

Greg: "A crystal blue lake, with alot of beautiful girls in bikinnis swimming or sun tanning on the shore. And what the hell do you mean by 'do you take a drink from it'? With all those hot chicks around, I think I'd have better things to do than sit around drinking lake water."

Your path reaches a fork - one branch leads to a village, the other deeper into the woods - which do you take?

Devilfire: "Continue on through the woods and see if anything else has been dropped along the path that might come in handy."

Greg: "Does the village have any good bars or strip clubs?"

:eg::eg::eg::eg:

So, anyone want to take a shot at psycho-analyzing Devilfire/Greg?

Gaze has actually studied Psychology (11-) so has a better grasp of the purposes behind the test, but assuming he is being surprisingly open but still speaking Gaze-ese

"It begins wide, and sunlit... but as one progresses, the shadows grow, and it narrows. At times, it seems to constrain and confine to the point where the path brokes no rivals, allows none other to walk beside you. Like a jealous lover, it insists on having you all to itself, whether it lead to joy, or sorrow."

"As you walk along the path you find a cup - describe it, and what you do with it."

"The chalice is the same silver of the moon, but swirling with in it is a dark almost sanquine liquid. I, the vigilant Eye, place it to my lips, and drink. It is bitter, yet one must drink to survive the journey ahead. I sequester it into the folds of my cloak."

"A lockpick set, rather than a true key. Polished, crafted by a master, with it, one could unlock anything... but it is sharp. I cut myself ...lesson learned, but they are mine now."

"Should the bear prove a threat to those on the trail, I know I can not face it head on. I shall harry it, I shall slip into the shadows where it can not see, I shall use the very scents of the world around me to render its senses dull and confused. I will strike, and withdraw before it can see what struck it. Then I shall laugh. In time, the beast shall know fear at the very sound of my laughter... and it will leave the path."

"Twilight, yet there is beauty in it... fireflies like wil o wisps dance and illuminate, and silver and gold shafts of light seem ready to grant an aura to those that stand in that area, but that light that makes you shine as a god, can blind you worse than any darkness if you linger too long."

"I swing above it, of course."

"I am surprised by the water, it is a stream, a mountain stream. It quite catches me off guard for I did not expect to find water on this path. Reluctant at first, I finally drink, and am refreshed. It is crisp."

"Neither...here is my place, to keep the beasts from the village, and escort in shadow those villagers that come into the woods other wise unprotected. There is no further journey for me."