Historical Fiction

Eosin

I have been in a phase of reading some outstanding historical fiction over the last few months. I was hoping that some of you might have an idea of some other series that might be worth my time.

I think I have chewed through 20 books on Alt Arthurian history but I know there are still more good ones out there. So, let me have your suggestions.

Re: Historical Fiction

Nope, not confining myself.

Let's see

Everything by Jack Whyte

Everything by Bernard Cornwell

Dreaming the Eagle by Miranda Scott

Everything by Lawhead (note to self, new book = Hood)

Everything by Guy Kay Gavriel

Lord of the Silver Bow by Gemmell

Almost everything by Allison Weir [more history than fiction]

Diddo for the varous history books like Life in a ..., or the Turning Points in History, or anything from Ospery.

On the outside edge, I'd count GRRM and the Song of Fire and Ice (Retelling of the War of the Roses), same for Katherine Kerr's Deverry books (medieval Wales)

I am sure that there are some that I am forgetting....

Guy Gavriel Kay :)

Although most of his stuff isn't historical fiction, but fantasy. Sailing to Sarantium and King of Emperors (?) were his historical fictions - alternate reality Constantinople.

I've read some Stephen Lawhead - quite interesting. I think I like his scifi better.

Gemmell I haven't read - but people keep telling me about him, so I will, eventually :)

Lawhead, that's who I was thinking. Boring as all get-out, but an interesting take on the Arthurian legend.

Edit: I haven't read them myself yet, but Robert Jordan (as Regan O'Neal) did a story or two about the American Revolutionary War. Reminds me that I have to find a copy to read one of these days.

Guy Gavriel Kay :)

Although most of his stuff isn't historical fiction, but fantasy. Sailing to Sarantium and King of Emperors (?) were his historical fictions - alternate reality Constantinople.

He seems to do a 50/50 spilt between outright fantasy and historical fiction. The Lions of Al Rasan is another one of his historical fictions and one of my favorite. It covers the alt reconquestia. Tigana is a mix. Then there is his pure fantasy stuff.

The Crowner John books are mysteries set in midieval england. The protagonist is a knight who has been apponted to serve as the midieval equivalent of a coroner. They are written by a British Midieval historian, and are "historical mysteries."

Morgan Llewelyn has written a series of books following legendary and semi-legendary Irish figures (Brian Boru, Fin MacCool, etc). These are definately "historical fantasy."

My mother likes the Brother Cadfael books. I haven't read them.

More later.

Historical Novels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_fiction

Alternative History

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_history

Historical Fantasy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_fantasy

Harry Turtledove

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Turtledove

Cheers

QM

Run. Don't walk to Harold Lamb's Khlit the Cossack.

Vol. one and two are collected by Howard Jones for I think Uof Nebraska press. There will be 4 volumes in all...

They were a influence on a certain TExan writing about a blue eyed cimmerian.

But Khlit is such a surprise as a historical adventure character (he starts at 50!). But Lamb is so good at weaving in ambiance and culture and history while never detracting from the story.

Okay, these are quasi-historical at best, but you might consider Robert E. Howards Cormac Mac Art, Bran Mak Morn, and Solomon Kane stories. The latter are the best of the lot (polished), but the other two are quasi-historical, and while they aren't wonderful, they do have some good bits.

Also check out Leslie Barringer's Neustrian Cycle: basically a story of inheritance theft and revenge set in a low-to-no magic fantasy "middle Europe" - sort of French, sort-of English. Hard to find, but that's what Ebay's for.

Also The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford - set in a high magic alternate Europe where Byzantium is the leading power, but with a magic system inspired by European magical traditions (big influence on my game). Used to be hard to find, but recently reissued.

cheers, Mark

I'd recommend any of the books by Alfred Duggan if you're interested in medieval historical fiction. My favourite is "Knight With Armour", which is the story of a very earnest, but not terribly competent knight on the 1st Crusade. He also wrote a non-fiction history of the Plantagenet kings called "The Devil's Brood" which tends to lapse into some fairly speculative novelesque writing at times, but which is quite a fun read. He didn't just write medieval subjects though; he also wrote a book called "Family Favourites" about the Roman emperor Elagabalus, and another called "He Died Old" about Mithridates.

Another excellent historical novelist is Cecelia Holland -- look for "The Firedrake" (irish mercenary ends up with William the Conqueror in 1066) and "Hammer for Princes" (the civil war between Stephen and Maude, c.1140 -- published in the US as "The Earl"). "The Lords of Vaumartin" is set in France in the mid-14th century, in the time of the Hundred Years War. She's quite prolific, and her books are always good (all the ones I've read, anyway).

If you want stuff set in antiquity, Mary Renault is the best of the best.

• The Last of the Wine (1956) — set in Athens during the Peloponnesian War
  • The King Must Die (1958) — the mythical Theseus up to his father's death
  • The Bull from the Sea (1962) — the remainder of Theseus' life
  • Lion in the Gateway (1964) — about the Persian Wars
  • The Mask of Apollo (1966) — an actor at the time of Plato and Dionysius the Younger
  • Fire From Heaven (1969) — Alexander the Great up to his father's death
  • The Persian Boy (1972) — Alexander after the conquest of Persia
  • The Praise Singer (1978) — the poet Simonides of Ceos
  • Funeral Games (1981) — Alexander's successors

Her writing is superb, and she really manages to get into the mindset of people of ancient times -- she doesn't try to dress them up to modern tastes.

Others have mentioned the Cadfael novels of Ellis Peters, which are a fun read.

I'd recommend any of the books by Alfred Duggan if you're interested in medieval historical fiction. My favourite is "Knight With Armour"' date=' which is the story of a very earnest, but not terribly competent knight on the 1st Crusade.[/quote']

I love that book. You might also like his "Leopards and Lilies" set in King John's later years about a woman who merely wants her due - to be rich and admired and mistress of a wealthy desmesne. He does a good job of capturing the mindset of the times - or at least making a plausible attempt.

We went to Hay on Wye a couple of years ago and I ran across a treasure trove of old Duggan in the basement of a bookstore (and others, we came home with two suitcases of books :eek:)

cheers, Mark