Weird Talent

Doc Democracy

I am about to look at a pulp stargate style game. I was touting round my players for characters and potential weird talents and got the following.

Now that I think about it, if there is an opportunity

for something wierd, it would be nice for his

intimidation to occasionally work on non-humans: guard

dogs, engines that don't start, etc.

Now this seems fantastic to me - an arab with a PRE attack covers most of it - but what about shouting and swearing at a recalcitrant vehicle and getting it to work?

Ideas?

Doc

Re: Weird Talent

"I can talk to my car but I can't make it work! Even when I scream obscenities it just sits there and I KNOW it can understand me..."

I'm doing my best to stay away from transforms, minor or otherwise, but I think it needs somethiung more than being able to communicate. :)

Doc

Well' date=' technically I'd say you'd need to first identify game mechanics of a broken down car and then have an appropriate Aid or Heal. Otherwise the clusmy fix-all of transform might be the only option.[/quote']

Yup, right there. A Heal with Restores Lost Limbs (to restore large and complex missing parts) should work; it's legal for Heal to work on machines, though I'd say that it should be restricted either to "Living Class" or "Machine Class" as if it were an EGO power. Add "requires an intimidation roll".

For that matter, you could cover all Cyberkinesis powers in pretty much the same way.

Well, if you can do it at will, sure.

But on the other hand, is such an "ability" worth paying points for? At some level its just shtick. Maybe a 1 point custom "Quirk" Talent.

Basically there are abilities that are used in combat or to overcome obstacles, and there are other things that are just flavor.

I had a friend with that power in real life. But he needed a focus. He would wave a hacksaw at an engine in a treatening way. More than once I saw the recalcetrant engine start up.

And then there was the time he split a log with a screwdriver. Someday I want to write him up as ToolUsingMan.

Having considered all of the options presented to me, I think that I like the Heal option the best. The skills are an interesting idea but I still think that the skill presents some level of knowledeg by the character when instead it is simply a command to pick up its wheelbed and drive.

Thanks for all of the options.

Doc

I know I'm late to this too, but I was just putting together a couple of teams for the heck of it, and I've really enjoyed doing detailed write-ups on Power Skills. It may be a bit cinematic, but then again the ability itself should not be allowed if the idea is to be relentlessly gritty and realistic with the campaign. The cinematic suggestion I offer is something like the Skill "Power: Intimidate Reality."

It would presume that the character would other have a distinctly superhuman PRE Characteristic or some sort of relevant Mental Power. Then it would extend to specialized applications of that superhuman ability for all manner of little "stunts" just like described in the original post. Power Skills are becoming one of my favorite innovations from when I last played in the Big Blue Book era and today with 5ER. This just seems like a perfect application for one, provided that there is an underlying superpower to justify it.

Regards,

Brainstorm