Rocket-propelled Chainsaw

Susano

Re: Rocket-propelled Chainsaw

Not to mention' date=' it's the regulation sidearm for Giant Armored Amphibious Cavalry![/quote']

Now that you mention it, the rocket-propelled chainsaw does seem to be a natural evolution of the obscure but terrifying Chainsaw Bolo, developed by a few daring horsemen in South America during the 1930's. Three chainsaws tied together and thrown proved quite effective in slashing through orderly ranks of opposing soldiers (not to mention mobs of unruly peasants!). Due to the combined difficulties of the sheer muscle power of throwing three chainsaws the necessary minimum distance, and keeping one's balance on horseback while doing so, the chainsaw bolo never caught on. There are unsubstantiated anecdotes of similar weapons being employed by cavalry in both the Spanish Civil War and against the Nazi and Soviet invasion of Poland in 1939, but written records are scant and conflicting.

This idea of chainsaws as ranged weapons seems to have lain dormant, waiting only for thright technology to make it workable. Progress is such a wonderful thing.

:P

there are only two problems i can see with the design firstly the chain saw ignition how would you pull the starter cable before launch. trying to slide a running chain saw into a tube strikes me as risky and having a hole to pull the cord through and some sort of break away tether would make the firing more difficult plus expose the operator to rocket exhaust.

ideally i guess you could have some sort of electric starter motor unit perhaps attached to the side of the launcher to save projectile weight.

secondly you need to protect the teeth of the saw and the petrol tank from the rocket blast on ignition my suggestion would be a sabot that fell away revealing the chain saw shortly after launch.

there are only two problems i can see with the design firstly the chain saw ignition how would you pull the starter cable before launch. trying to slide a running chain saw into a tube strikes me as risky and having a hole to pull the cord through and some sort of break away tether would make the firing more difficult plus expose the operator to rocket exhaust.

ideally i guess you could have some sort of electric starter motor unit perhaps attached to the side of the launcher to save projectile weight.

Look at the diagram again. There's already a start button on the side.

- Vassoom

• 4 months later...

No gyros needed! Just two chains' date=' counterrotating! :D[/quote']

Hmm, you might be able to make them in a "V" like the Japanese "Frog-Crotch" arrow!:eek:

Though the fins would have to be a lot bigger to counteract the aerodynamic forces. :nonp:

Hrmm' date=' after rising from the dead like this are they undead rocket propelled chainsaws and if so, do you put the stake through the gastank or the drive gears?[/quote']

An undead rocket propelled chainsaw would be an undead mechanism. A stake would do nothing to it.

You need a nail gun!

Oh yeah, the gas-tank should be your target.

An undead mechanism? Why is it that all of a sudden I have visions of Steampunk in my head...

Hrmmm... Maybe we should crosspost to the Seacouver thread in the Chamipons forums and suggest that his first adventure be the return of Henry Yesler and his Steam-Powered Rocket Propelled Chainsaws! Stay tuned for episode two and the return of John Pinnell, here to take more vengeance on the Northern Pacific Railroad (now the Burlington Northern)!

(For those who don't know, John was famous for cornering the brothel market in early Seattle and when the NPR chose Tacoma as its terminus, making it a company town, they told him that he was not welcome. Maybe he can bring undead, steam-powered women of loose morals!)

Darn it, John! It's all well and good that you labelled it "caution, hot surface" but it means no huggin and no spoonin and they singe the sheets when they lie down... And don't even get me started on the exhaust!

An undead mechanism? Why is it that all of a sudden I have visions of Steampunk in my head...

Hrmmm... Maybe we should crosspost to the Seacouver thread in the Chamipons forums and suggest that his first adventure be the return of Henry Yesler and his Steam-Powered Rocket Propelled Chainsaws! Stay tuned for episode two and the return of John Pinnell, here to take more vengeance on the Northern Pacific Railroad (now the Burlington Northern)!

(For those who don't know, John was famous for cornering the brothel market in early Seattle and when the NPR chose Tacoma as its terminus, making it a company town, they told him that he was not welcome. Maybe he can bring undead, steam-powered women of loose morals!)

UNDEAD CHAINSAW HOOKERS !!!!!! OF SEATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE ULTIMATE RPG CAMPAIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The world can end now, it can't get any better than that!