Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Major Tom

Re: Genocide

While GENOCIDE doesn't exist in the current Champions Universe, there is a

Fourth Edition book that does cover that particular organization: The Mutant

File. In addition to detailing the anti-mutant organization, it also provided

information about several other mutant groups in the 4thEd Champions Universe,

along with writeups of the characters in each group -- which probably wouldn't

be too hard to convert into 5thEd Champions, given time.

Major Tom :cool:

The Institute of Human Advancement (or IHA) has many splinter groups. One extremist group calling itself Project: Genocide was primarily the responsible for the creation of the Minute Man Robots and strong advocate of Mutant cleansing.

Days of Future Past

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Future_Past

Ethnic cleansing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_cleansing

Genocide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide

IMOHO

QM

Genocide' date=' as such, doesn't exist in 5e. The new analogue, the Institute for Human Advancement, gets a brief description in Champions Universe, but has yet to get any serious development.[/quote']

I must admit, I prefer the new name. You're just not gonna be able to convince a lot of people that your cause is just if you call yourself GENOCIDE. :)

With the IHA, not only do you have supporters, you get donations. :)

And yet Genocide describes exactly what the group is about, and given that the active "mutant-hunting" membership tends to be pretty fanatical about the need to exterminate the "gene-freaks" I feel that they would embrace the name.

OTOH a more palatable name for any public front organization(s) would obviously be preferable. In my last campaign Genocide continued to be the name that the core group used for itself, while both the Institute for Human Advancement and the Pure Earth Society (the latter from The Mutant File) were used as lobby groups, public relations vehicles and recruitment tools, without known ties to Genocide proper.

I should add that most of the current information about the Institute for Human Advancement appears in the Fifth Edition version of Champions Universe, along with a writeup of the latest model Minuteman robot. Note that although this Minuteman is pretty poweful, it's nowhere near the same league as the robotic monstrosity from The Mutant File.

Isn't that supposed to be part of Cops' date=' Crews, and Cabals?[/quote']

I believe so :)

Personally, I use the IHA as a public front for Genocide, who looks more like the Genoshan war gangs that were seen in the Jim Lee issues of X-Men ;) Not to mention that Minutemen have gotten smaller and deadlier ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Technological Advancements is Robotics allowed their scientists to create Androids as capable as the Mark VII's and yet capable of disguising themselves as Normals.

At least that's in my Champions Universe.

QM

All right, Question Man, you let the cat out of the bag. Now, c'mon, you're not going to leave us hanging without telling us more of T.A.R. and/or some stats? ;)

Eh' date=' I think the CU can do with having either no dedicated antimutant group, or a weak one. The schtick is weak at best even within its own subgenre, and massively over done.[/quote']

So you don't think "the normals" would be concerned/worried/afraid/enraged enough about people being born with ridiculous powers, enough that a few people might want to band together against them? To be honest -- and I'll admit, maybe I'm just cynical -- I've always thought anti-metahuman groups have been among the genre's most realistic trends.

I can far more easily believe the masses of humanity rising up against people with super powers, than embracing them.

So you don't think "the normals" would be concerned/worried/afraid/enraged enough about people being born with ridiculous powers' date=' enough that a few people might want to band together against them? To be honest -- and I'll admit, maybe I'm just cynical -- I've always thought [i']anti[/i]-metahuman groups have been among the genre's most realistic trends.

I can far more easily believe the masses of humanity rising up against people with super powers, than embracing them.

I don't think the arguement is that such groups are not realistic in human attutide, but that in genre they are not realistic, meaning that they pick on certain people with power and not others. Marvel X books have people hissing booing and killing X-Men, but praising the freaky Mr. Fantastic and the Thing. The Genre is ... uneven... in its paranoia.

This is not to say such groups would not exist in a "realistic" (used loosly around human interactions or anything in a comicbook) world but they would be out to end any "threat" to humanity as they see it, be it the guy that shoots eye beams or streach like a rubber band. If he got his power from an accident of birth or just a radiation accident I would think a set of the population would be afraid of the freaks. And that subset would not be discrimating on how they got the power.

So you don't think "the normals" would be concerned/worried/afraid/enraged enough about people being born with ridiculous powers' date=' enough that a few people might want to band together against them? To be honest -- and I'll admit, maybe I'm just cynical -- I've always thought [i']anti[/i]-metahuman groups have been among the genre's most realistic trends.

Oh, I can see some people distrusting them, and being paranoid about them.

What I can't see is independent groups of such people gaining the resources to equip armies of agents and build giant robots capable of conquering the world. Which is about what you actually need for this task.

Thats changed to a great extent by the typical way metahumans are introduced in the setting: shortly before WWII.

In any case, the problem is that while you can have humanity as a whole rejecting superhumanity, thats a fundamentally iron age concept. Hell, the whole idea of distinguishing between the two is iron age. So, if your not playing iron age, this whole point of yours is irrelevant. And if you are playing iron age, then there is *still* no room for independent antimetahuman groups of any real power, because such starts running against iron age genre conventions. Governments going antimetahuman? That works, but not private orgs.

Or, more pointedly, this is only relevant really if your playing iron age, and bizarre Aberrant game I'm in aside, I have little interest in playing iron age at all, let alone using one of the most threadbare cliches of the age.