C'mon, I can't be the only one...

misterdeath

I can't tell you how weird it is hearing you guys talk about buying a book that I wrote.

So what do you guys think? IMO, the editing is fantastic (you shoulda seen the original manuscript... on second thought, no :)), the layout is top notch and the artists just went buck wild and impressed the hell out of me.

Got mine yesterday. I only had time to browse through it but it looks good. I like the little details like how soldiers that enjoy duty on the Fang hover platform blasting the natives get transferred out with no explanation.

Hey Ben, how much input did you get on the art? It seems like the artists tried to inject the basic philosophies of the race into their starship designs. Examples: The "head" of the Varanyi cruiser takes up half the body. The Torgon warship looks like a big, blunt instrument to bash things with. The Se'ecra ship puts the lifestyle and diplomatic stuff in the front pod and the tactical setup in a pod aft and below the first pod.

Originally posted by BishopofB&W

Hey Ben, how much input did you get on the art? It seems like the artists tried to inject the basic philosophies of the race into their starship designs. Examples: The "head" of the Varanyi cruiser takes up half the body. The Torgon warship looks like a big, blunt instrument to bash things with. The Se'ecra ship puts the lifestyle and diplomatic stuff in the front pod and the tactical setup in a pod aft and below the first pod.

I actually had quite a bit of input on the designs of the vessels. The starship styles themselves were first defined in Terran Empire and I expanded upon those original ideas. It was actually really fun further developing the unique look of each fleet.

My art list was very descriptive, but I felt it was necessary in order for the unique looks to be consistent. I used references to TE art pieces as well as a plethora of my own sketches to relay to the artist what I wanted the ships to look like. I was amazed at how all of the artists took my descriptions and came up with vessels that looked exactly how I wanted... or even better. There isn't a single piece in that book that makes me ask "How the hell did he get THAT from my description?".

Originally posted by Ben Seeman

I can't tell you how weird it is hearing you guys talk about buying a book that I wrote.

So what do you guys think?

Ugh. What a horrid pustulent pile of mess. Yuck.

Actually I was talking about a hairball my cat left for me. :D

I'll be picking up the STK in the next day or two. I'll let you know then.

Originally posted by Ben Seeman

So what do you guys think? IMO, the editing is fantastic (you shoulda seen the original manuscript... on second thought, no :)), the layout is top notch and the artists just went buck wild and impressed the hell out of me.

You mean there was something worse than the playtest document. {gape of amazement}

Just kidding. It looks like it really has some useful stuff in it.

As a quickie review, if you file off the serial numbers, there is lots of cool stuff that you can use for other SF games. Cyber and Bioware, new guns, some ships in a smaller Travelleresque way, not just mega duty Apocalypse class super-dreadnaughts.

Everything is written so it can be used with TE, but I can't see why it wouldn't work with something else.

D

Pretty good, although it seems heavily weighted towards the starships, and all of the tech is for Terran Empire background, so you'd have to adapt it.

On the bright side, the illustrations do indeed look like the ships described in the text. Which seems to be rare in game books for some reason.

JG

I have it and I love it! The art is really good and gives a good sense of the vehicles/equipment in question. If I had any complaint at all it would be that I wished it were twice as big. I could think of a couple of dozen other things I would love to see included. I can never get enough TE information. :)Maybe DOJ will be able to do some pdf products for TE in the future. I know I would love to see the TE universe expanded.

Nice job Ben!

Free PDFs of the Deckplans would be great.

i know, My friends and I would love to have Deckplans for all those starships.

Heck Even i'd even pay $5 for DPFs on the Deckplans for the ships, just to have them on my computer, and be able to print them out as i need them.

Now, if the ever did a actual Book with Deckplans, i'd love to have inside art covering various rooms that would be important. Bridge, Engineering, Med-labs, sample Crew Quaters, Dinning areas, Workout rooms, and the like, Hallways would always be welcomed, specially if each species has differant tastes in decorating the insides of their starships, ect...I'd pay $20-30 for a book that indepthed...

Originally posted by TechnoGothic

Free PDFs of the Deckplans would be great.

i know, My friends and I would love to have Deckplans for all those starships.

I think Steve has commented more than once that DOJ will not be doing any deckplans. There is just not enough return for the time, effort, and money needed to create them. You might want to check out some of the GURPS Traveller products for deckplans. They will work for you and are not too difficult to get your hands on, either from ebay or Steve Jackson.

Finally got my copy today. It arrived at the store Thursday (after I went there on Tuesday, of course).

I assume that the "Charge Never Recovers" on the various drugs is only if they are bought with money? If they are bought with points they are normal Charges that recover by going home to get a new supply?

Originally posted by Armitage

I assume that the "Charge Never Recovers" on the various drugs is only if they are bought with money? If they are bought with points they are normal Charges that recover by going home to get a new supply?

I would guess that there are only two ways to "buy" the drugs: Either pay for them with money, and thus they get the Charges Never Recover, or pay for them with character points, and then drop the Charges Never Recover aspect of the Limitation. This would make the drugs cost more character points but you would get a steady supply of drugs all the time.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Man, that would be, like, wicked! The future Rocks!! :D

only if you could hve infinit BEER, using this lophole :D

i can picture it now...

A gaming group drinking, and the the group *mouth* yells out "Out of Beer again, man. Who want to make a Beer run ?"

The Gamer ho own the house anwers " Beer run ? Dude, who need to run outfor beer anymore." Walk over a microave looking device without a door. Hepushes a button,and say to it "Budwiser, Cold, 6-pack." Thn it just appear there., e grabs the new 6 pack, and handsto the mouth. The mouth's jaw drops in amazment. The house owner says "Dude, your drooling on my shag carpet, stop it."

:D :D

:D :D