What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Little Britain? I don't watch it, but know he was in that show. And I like him in Merlin though I've only seen season 1.

I don't know much about John Constantine so wouldn't see the similarity, but for those who do, it might pull them in to the show. :)

Sounds like maybe Manchild.

It was Manchild. Thanks for remembering the title and saving me the Google time.

I think most people have read some Constantine, or at least seen the movie, so I'm not going to spoiler this. You are gently warned:

Constantine is a young punk from the English lower classes who messes around with black magic in his early twenties and forms a coven. Said coven summons a very nasty demon which subsequently goes on to kill all of them except Constantine over some period of time. Constantine's friends tend to die in horrific ways just for knowing him and subsequently haunt him.

Ripper (Giles) is a young punk from the English lower classes who messes around with black magic in his early twenties and forms a coven. Said coven summons a very nasty demon which subsequently goes on to kill all of them except Ripper and Ethan Rayne over some period of time. Because Giles is a secondary character, his friends tends to have more longevity, but he buried quite a few people during the run of the show The only thing that really saves them is that the show is about Buffy, not Giles. Throw in some "I see dead people", and the two storylines are damn close.

When I first saw the episodes where they started to explore Giles' background, I wondered if Joss and the other writers had been reading early Constantine stuff.

rewatched Mad Max today because I could - and to avoid yardwork.

The plot was slower than I remember it being, but still really good. The music score, on the other hand, actually gets in the way of the movie. It is probably the single worst music score I have ever endured.

Re-watched firefly + Serenity. Good stuff

Finally got around to watching Avatar. Not bad, but not as good as it was hyped to be. A little formulaic and preachy, but visually stunning. The CGI work was seamless and believable. Kinda wished I had caught it on the big screen, the visuals would be worth it.

Godzilla vs. the sea monster. The change of director from previous movies is obvious. This is more 60's camp then 50's radioactive horror. I expected Adam West Batman-esque "Pow!" "Kaboom!" shots during the fight sequences.

Pilot Episode of The Gates. I had fun watching it so that means an 8 episode run. A full season tops.

Ichi. Sub-titled Japanese movie about a blind swordswoman in search of her father. Along the way she discovers that there are good people that care about her. Some pretty good fight choreography. While not exactly fun to watch, it was engaging. Note: I almost cheered when Toma loosened his katana blade with his thumb. I'm sure there is a very precise term for that "maneuver", but I am unfamiliar with it. If you like samurai movies, then you probably have already seen this one. If you haven't, then I think it is a worthy addition to the genre.

Pilot Episode of The Gates. I had fun watching it so that means an 8 episode run. A full season tops.

Ichi. Sub-titled Japanese movie about a blind swordswoman in search of her father. Along the way she discovers that there are good people that care about her. Some pretty good fight choreography. While not exactly fun to watch, it was engaging. Note: I almost cheered when Toma loosened his katana blade with his thumb. I'm sure there is a very precise term for that "maneuver", but I am unfamiliar with it. If you like samurai movies, then you probably have already seen this one. If you haven't, then I think it is a worthy addition to the genre.

Yeah,. saw it and liked it. It's also hinted that her teacher was no other than Zato-ichi himself.

How I Met Your Mother (season 1); just started, but OMG this show is funny. Thank the gods I have it on DVD, I had to pause some of the scenes I was laughing so hard. Between Neil Patrick Harris' delivery and the faces Alyson Hannigan makes in response to things it's just hilarious. . . They don't carry the show alone, the entire starring cast is just amazingly funny, the gel so well.

In honor of Toy Story 3' date=' I watched a double feature of [i']Toy Story[/i] and Toy Story 2. Amazing the advances Pixar has made in CG imaging since the first was made.

When I saw the original Toy Story in the theatre, in the company of my parents, I asked them "I wonder if this is how the audences for Snow White felt?" Somehow I knew there and then that film animation had forever changed and nothing would ever be the same again.

I've pretty much decided I'm not going to both watching Avatar' date=' no matter how nice the visuals are. I just can summon any enthusiasm for it.[/quote']my elder sister braught asvatar over for a family movie night its very good

x-play

'Land Of The Lost'.

Not a worshipper of the original TV show (IMO, ultra-cheap'n'cheezy), so no issues there.

Very middle-of-the-road about Will Ferrell - some of his stuff is funny, and other stuff not so.

Mild expectations - just looking for solid fun, with some semblance of a plot.

Somewhat better than expected. I enjoyed it.

Enjoying Persons Unknown. This show is cool to me, a good successor to the Prisoner, unlike the miniseries with Jim Cazviel.

CES

I got half way through the latest episode and went meh,I've wasted enough time this and turned it off.

I got half way through the latest episode and went meh' date='I've wasted enough time this and turned it off.[/quote']

Boobytrapping the gas masks to poison the wearers has to be the height of mindscrewing. They also seem to be messing with the one lady's family since they are putting the reporter/ex-husband up as the kidnaper.

CES

I finally sat down and watched Forbidden Kingdom. This should be mandatory watching prior to starting any wild martial arts campaign. I give it three thumbs up' date=' hard to do with only two hands. :sneaky:[/quote']

I've often felt that anyone contemplating a wuxia/wild martial arts game needs to watch Big Trouble in Little China. Because if you don't like what you see there, you're probably going to hate what Hong Kong does in their films.

That said, I also liked Forbidden Kingdom a great deal.