What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Oh. That explains some of it, I think. His creativity sucks, too.

Okay, maybe "sucks" is too strong a word. But after watching that movie, I can only think that his imagination consists of a gigantic white room where crazy people sit on beds and rant about how their scifi dystopia was right to put them away. Before they stomp the authorities to death.

THX-1138 was also his student film. I think it has his take on 1984. Others have pointed out that while parts are visually impressive (the all white room, the robotic police), you're not sure what the whole message/point is. Sure THX escapes the imperfect Utopia, but for what? To die from exposure in the desert as night sets in?

Yeah, the point was rather obfuscated.

I think it had something to do with technology's phasing out the importance of personhood (witness how casually THX's section is congratulated on "only" 195 deaths, as well as the way the robot police just give up on him once his capture is "over budget").

An awful lot of it just left me scratching my head.

I just finished watching season 2 of Carnivale' date=' and while not everything was wrapped up, it was a great finale. I would have loved to see where they were going to go next with the show.[/quote']

I know what you mean. There's an online petition to continue it, but I don't think it's going anywhere, which is a shame. Just another example of "the Firefly effect," I guess.

Happy Feet - Daughter (Hannah' date=' 7) really seemed to like it. I felt a little bit like I was being preached to.[/quote']

Only a little bit?

Well, I guess if you really ARE an alien . . . :nya:

Nah, it was cute, but the ending was really heavy-handed. I felt kinda tricked. It's like the whole idea was to lure in little kids with the adorably cute tap-dancing penguin, then slam the parents with an environmentalist/conservatist message crammed down their throats.

While I'm open to the message in general, I don't react well to things being crammed down my throat.

Nah, it was cute, but the ending was really heavy-handed. I felt kinda tricked. It's like the whole idea was to lure in little kids with the adorably cute tap-dancing penguin, then slam the parents with an environmentalist/conservatist message crammed down their throats.

While I'm open to the message in general, I don't react well to things being crammed down my throat.

So what was the ending? They all get run over by snowmobiles?

Mumble is put in a zoo-like setting, where he discovers that he can get through to the "aliens" by tapdancing. He's returned home, where he convinces his colony to dance with him. When people show up, they're so impressed by the tapdancing penguins, they pass legislation to stop overfishing the oceans so that there's plenty for the penguins to eat again.

No, really.

Mumble is put in a zoo-like setting, where he discovers that he can get through to the "aliens" by tapdancing. He's returned home, where he convinces his colony to dance with him. When people show up, they're so impressed by the tapdancing penguins, they pass legislation to stop overfishing the oceans so that there's plenty for the penguins to eat again.

No, really.

:lol::lol::lol:

Yer kiddiing, right???

No... I guess not.

The Lost Room. It was a miniseries on SCI FI, and it just came out on DVD. It thought it was very clever for a low budget made for TV fare. The whole thing is about people questing for everyday items that have been imbued with supernatural powers. A good sense of humor combined with some very chilling moments.

The Lost Room is very good. I found it had a Cthulhu-esque feel, of something just outside our world - and NOT benevolent.

I can't really get into the plot without massive spoilers, so:

A man comes into possession of a hotel key. This is one of the most powerful of a series of "Objects" - items of normal appearance, but which are indestructible and have strange and often bizarre abilities. The Key leads him to The Lost Room - a hotel room which the Key can access via any ordinary door. Unfortunately, his daughter is trapped in the Room, and he embarks on a quest to get her back.

I greatly enjoyed it. I hope they do more in that universe (and they set things up so that is possible).

• 3 weeks later...

Josh and I watched Bull Durham and Babel over the weekend. Didn't realize the former was a local movie; the latter was frustrating for the fact that I could understand the foreign languages better than the English. When did mumbling get so prevalent as an acting technique?