What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I'm enjoying the ST:DS 9 reruns on Spike. Yesterday's was excellent.

First five minutes set the tone:

Miles and Bashir are arguing over if Davy Crockett was captured at the Alamo or not. Worf, forced to endure this banter, finally cuts in

"You are both wrong. The only real question is whether you believe in the legend of Davy Crockett or not. If you do, then there should be no doubt in your mind that he died a hero's death. If you do not believe in the legend, then he was just a man, and it doesn't matter how he died."

I'm enjoying the ST:DS 9 reruns on Spike. Yesterday's was excellent.

First five minutes set the tone:

Miles and Bashir are arguing over if Davy Crockett was captured at the Alamo or not. Worf, forced to endure this banter, finally cuts in

"You are both wrong. The only real question is whether you believe in the legend of Davy Crockett or not. If you do, then there should be no doubt in your mind that he died a hero's death. If you do not believe in the legend, then he was just a man, and it doesn't matter how he died."

Well said!

I saw a programme on cable about a rafting/canoe expedition down the Yenisey river through Mongolia into Russia. They were claiming that it is the worlds 5th longest river but my Macquarie Illustrated World Atlas ranks it 15th behind the Niger and ahead of both the Missouri and Mississippi (taken seperatly, as a combination the Mississippi/Missouri is ranked 4th)

Five episodes of the 2nd Season of Ranma 1/2 where we find out that Shampoo visited the Cursed Springs and now becomes a cat when hit with cold water. We also meet Shampoo's Great Grandmother who tries to force Ranma to marry Shampoo and traps him in female form by using the full body cat point nerve. We also find out that Ranma has a real fear of cats. And this is his father's fault in trying to teach him Cat Fu.

The climax to these episodes is Ranma entering a ski and snowman race and then having to battle the old woman which he wins by using Cat Fu against her.

OK, what the heck, I'll join in.

Spent the evening snuggled in bed with my funny little honey (snow and ice outside cancelling anything else) watching A Knight's Tale.

It's obvious why it had all the medieval mavens' panties in a twist, and the plot has the depth of a wading pool, but it was fun. Besides, Alan Tudyk cracking wise is always a treat. "Tansy cakes!" :D

Watched the first DVD of season 1 of Beauty and the Beast last night. It finally came out Tuesday, but I've had it pre-ordered for a month, patiently waiting for it. I haven't seen the series since it originally aired.

It's still an enjoyable series and it brings back fond memories. As always, Ron Perlman is exceptional. The one thing that caught my attention was that George R. R. Martin was writer of the second episode. I went to see if it really was the same person and was pleasantly surprised it was. He apparently wrote a number of episodes and is listed as Executive Story Consultant in the end credits.

It made me want to do a urban fantasy/Blue Rose kind of game. Maybe the big HERO release will be the urban fantasy genre book.

My recent shows watched:

• Battlestar Galactica: season three
  • Ghost Hunt: an interesting new anime series about paranormal investigators. Stories are done in 1-3 episode arcs.
  • The Dresden Files
  • Medium: I started watching it in season one, and it's held my interest ever since.
  • Robot Chicken: seasons one and two

OK, what the heck, I'll join in.

Spent the evening snuggled in bed with my funny little honey (snow and ice outside cancelling anything else) watching A Knight's Tale.

It's obvious why it had all the medieval mavens' panties in a twist, and the plot has the depth of a wading pool, but it was fun. Besides, Alan Tudyk cracking wise is always a treat. "Tansy cakes!" :D

Great movie :thumbup:

ref: Dresden Files

Is this any good?

It's fair to good so far. The effects have been good' date=' but the actors aren't quite into their roles yet. It's only three episodes so far, so too early to really tell.[/quote']

I just watched the third ep on my DVR and I agree with Steve. I am a huge fan of the books and I do like the series, but.... There is just something not right to me. I hope that it will smooth out as they find their roles. But I also wonder if they are going to introduce any of the other characters. I know they have Harry eating at a diner, but there is still room in the show for the bar. And with as much PC in the world I am not surprised that for a TV show they would split those two up.

All in all my assessment is average with a very good potential for great.

Wow - not much time to watch stuff. Here's my week's viewing:

Pan's Labyrinth

NCIS

Heroes

Iron Chef

Also watched Spiderman, Memento, Tombstone, War of the Worlds and The Untouchables in various classes I taught this week. Finished the first two.

???

What do you teach?

Media, my man, media.

One lower school class (Year 9), where the focus is on narrative this semester - we watched and identified media codes in Spiderman. The other 4 classes are Media Production and Analysis, and are a little more advanced.

My two year 10 classes are studying film genre and are analysing Tombstone and War of the Worlds respectively as two pretty neat examples of genre. They are identifying and understanding codes and conventions of media and how they relate to genre and will swap films when they are done.

My year 11 class is studying Icons and Archetypes in media, and are analysing The Untouchables as Kevin Costner as Elliot Ness is a pretty classic example of the Heroic Archetype. We will also be exploring the Hero's Journey and how it constructs the heroic Archetype. We'll move away from classic archetypes and towards the modern anti-hero as we go.

My year 12 class is studying Alternative Media as best we can given the censorship restrictions, and have viewed Memento as an example of non-mainstream media especially to do with narrative and character construction. We've got to pick it apart next week.

I love my work sometimes :)

Media, my man, media.

One lower school class (Year 9), where the focus is on narrative this semester - we watched and identified media codes in Spiderman. The other 4 classes are Media Production and Analysis, and are a little more advanced.

For the production, does that mean you make your own movies? If so, what movie-making programme do you use?

My two year 10 classes are studying film genre and are analysing Tombstone and War of the Worlds respectively as two pretty neat examples of genre. They are identifying and understanding codes and conventions of media and how they relate to genre and will swap films when they are done.
re genre, suggests Post Apocalyptic HERO & sidekick as textbooks :whistle:

My year 11 class is studying Icons and Archetypes in media, and are analysing The Untouchables as Kevin Costner as Elliot Ness is a pretty classic example of the Heroic Archetype. We will also be exploring the Hero's Journey and how it constructs the heroic Archetype. We'll move away from classic archetypes and towards the modern anti-hero as we go.
The Untouchables is a great film. I've recently seen Oliver Stone's JFK and recommend that as another example of the Heroic Archetype; JFK himself would also make a terrific media Icon. The film is a bit on the long side 3hrs and M15+ rated but I reckon it would be a good film to study. Stone incorporated original footage from the 60s, the Zapruder film and superimposes actors onto the records of the 60s (ie an actor is in a classic photo of Lee Harvey Oswald).

As a side bonus, they get to watch a "documentary" on the assassination of JFK and get educated on one of the seminal events of the twentieth century.

Re antihero: Get Carter starring Michael Caine would be my suggestion for a film on the antihero. The film is rated 15+ though.

My year 12 class is studying Alternative Media as best we can given the censorship restrictions, and have viewed Memento as an example of non-mainstream media especially to do with narrative and character construction. We've got to pick it apart next week.
A friend and I had free tickets to see Memento. Neither of us understood it much. Good luck to the class understanding it... :)

I love my work sometimes :)
Do you need an assistant? :D

Just finished watching TropFest 2007 (It finished about an hour ago). Some really good short films this year. I look forward to getting the DVD of them next weekend. The first film even has a friend of a friend of mine in it - he did the animation (and teaches 3D animation here, Dan Miller). The short film "The Story of Ned". Unfortunately the sound mix was attrocious and the soundtrack completely overwhelmed the narration.

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles

It is a bit better than Macross 7 OVA.

Let's compare

Nekki Basara with singing space whales and the fact that Mylene Jenius can't figure out who she's in love with.

Scott Benard actually said 'I love you' as Ariel the Invid went off and rescued Marcus Rush.

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles

It is a bit better than Macross 7 OVA.

Let's compare

Nekki Basara with singing space whales and the fact that Mylene Jenius can't figure out who she's in love with.

Scott Benard actually said 'I love you' as Ariel the Invid went off and rescued Marcus Rush.

I actually liked it a lot. I was really disappointed about it ending like it did. But a friend of mine said the word at Comic Con was it is the prelude to a new series. If it is true then I am only irritated that I have already watched it before the rest of the series is available. I prefer to wait for an entire series to be out before I start to watch it.

Memento is one of my all time favorite movies. Once you watch it, you have to sit there with your mouth hanging open thinking "What the f*** was that?" for a few minutes before you start to process what you've seen.

As far as what I've seen recently:

First episode of The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers. On their website they had a download for the PSP. Man did that bring back some memories. Also learned that the whole series is on DVD.

For the production, does that mean you make your own movies? If so, what movie-making programme do you use?

*snip*

A friend and I had free tickets to see Memento. Neither of us understood it much. Good luck to the class understanding it... :)

*snip*

Do you need an assistant? :D

The video editing software we use is Pinnacle Studio 9. We're running on pretty crappy (now) 5 year old computers so it's the best we can do at the moment. It's nice and user freindly though - good for beginners - and has a few features that make it good for more advanced users.

And the class for the most part understood the narrative of Memento, but we're going to discuss the ramifications of that tomorrow :)

Oh, and I think we'll watch Silence of the Lambs or Falling Down for an anti-hero.

And I guess I could use an assistant, if you work for free. In fact, maybe you need to pay me :)