What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Binged on DVDs from Blockbuster of late.

First off World Trade Center in which you get the impression that the cops feel bad that they did not get anyone out and had to be resuced themselves.

My Super Ex-Girlfriend. Nohing say I hate you like throwing a live shark through their window.

DOA. This is just plain fun. I like Devon Aoki. I admit I have never played the game. And I know who Kevin Nash is.

The Departed. Oh boy is this good. Three people that are usually dismissed as just stars and not actors prove that they are actors. Leonardo Di Caprio, Mark Wahlburg and Matt Damon are the people I am talking about. It helps to have talent like Jack Nicholson, Ray Winstone, Martin Sheen and Alec Balwin and Martin Scorcese directing. You also have Anthony Anderson doing a straight serious role and he does not come off as being miscast.

A Scanner Darkly. An undercover cop is asked to spy on himself in this animated feature. Good cast. Keanu Reeves, Rory Cochrane, Woody Harrelson and Robert Downey Junior all excel in this feature about drug addiction in the near future.

The Three Burials of Melquaides Estrada. A slow burning film when a Border Patrol cop is forced to help the friend of a Mexican he killed return the body to Mexico for burial.

I saw "Flyboys" this afternoon. Dogfights were good to watch and the special effects (as we are coming to expect) were first class. Only complaint was that, while they could do special effects for different bombers, the only fighters that the Germans were shown using were Fokker Triplanes ! I know that the Fokker tripe was famous (because of The Red Baron), but I also know that it was less common than the Albatross and other types. Still it's a minor quibble. Generally a good film, especially the action sequences, and even the obligatory romance was less intrusive than I had expected.

I saw "Flyboys" this afternoon. Dogfights were good to watch and the special effects (as we are coming to expect) were first class. Only complaint was that' date=' while they could do special effects for different bombers, the only fighters that the Germans were shown using were Fokker Triplanes ! I know that the Fokker tripe was famous (because of The Red Baron), but I also know that it was less common than the Albatross and other types. Still it's a minor quibble. Generally a good film, especially the action sequences, and even the obligatory romance was less intrusive than I had expected.[/quote']

Ditto on all points :D

• 2 weeks later...

Finished all of Samurai 7.

It was an interesting take on Seven Samurai, although I do feel the action level did get a bit over-cranked. I mean, it didn't go to 11, I think it went past 12! On the other hand, if you replace "samurai" with "Jedi", it doesn't seem all that bad, and is a good example of what anime-level Ninja Hero swordsman can do in battle.

'Reefer Madness, the Musical' - I found it very amusing, with the best scene being a wonderful number where an Elvis-like Jesus, backed by a chorus of Angel dancing girls, tells the main character to stop smoking all that reefer. Amusing performances all around (mostly from the original off-Broadway cast, including Veronica Mars' Kristin Bell)

Not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Saw the first episode of the new BBC Robin Hood series. Kind of a disappointment. Not really sure what I was hoping for, as Robin Hood on TV has always been "family friendly", and the acting, writing, costuming, sets, and stunt work are all adequate. Still, I'd have preferred a re-telling that went for the earlier folk tales before the whole noble back from the Crusades thing, and maybe combat that actually had a sense of danger to it.

Saw Rich and Famous which is a Hong Kong Chow Yun Fat film.

Troy. Which wasn't bad but had bits that the classical scholar in me objects to. Like

Patroculus is Achilles "Cousin", is he ?

Menelaus survived the 10 year seige of Troy

Agamemnon survives the seige of Troy and takes Cassandra, Priam's daughter home as a prize. Then he gets killed.

Whither Hecuba, Priam's wife ?

Aeneas was fighting and defending Troy

Paris survives ?????!!!!! Why ? Because he's Orlando Bloom ?

I did like Erik Bana as Hector and Brad Pitt's Achilles.

Saturday I picked up the "director's cut" of Musa (The Warrior) on DVD. I own a domestic Tai Seng release of Musa, which clocks in at 135 minutes. Having been told it was cut down, I've spotted a few areas where I'm sure the film was edited. The version I picked up Saturday is a whopping 158 minutes(!) and should have everything I was missing.

BTW -- if you want to see Cinematic-level martial arts/Fantasy Hero action at its finest, watch Musa. The plot is simple, in 1375 a Korean diplomatic envoy to China is accused of being spies, enslaved and sent to die in exile on the frontier. "Saved" by Mongols who slaughter the Chinese soldiers guarding them, they then decide to escape back to Korea. However, the delegation's leader hatches a plan to rescue a beautiful Chinese princess (played by Zhang Ziyi) from the Mongols and return her to China, thus winning back his lost honor as well as possible rewards (and so on). But the Mongols don't give up their treasures that easily....

The action scenes are fantastic (IMO), especially those involving Yeo-sol the former slave, who is a literal whirl-wind of death with a spear. Excellent costumes, cinematography, and music by (IIRC), the composer for the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Stifle the mockery, I saw Wild Hogs over the weekend. Acting was mediocore, the plot was bad, but I haven't laughed so hard at a movie in a long time. It went for the easy laughs, and continuously picked on poor William H. Macy's computer programmer character, but it pulled off most of the easy jokes well. Ray Liotta and William H. Macy were the gems of the film. Also Paul Sr. from American Chopper drinks a wine cooler.

Josh and I watched The Departed (or, perhaps more accurately, The Depahhted). It's about cops vs. Irish Mafia in modern Boston, and two infiltrators, one on each side. Fascinating, tightly-wound, excellent acting all around. One complaint about a deus ex machina toward the end, but otherwise, good stuff.

Josh and I watched The Departed (or' date=' perhaps more accurately, [i']The Depahhted[/i]). It's about cops vs. Irish Mafia in modern Boston, and two infiltrators, one on each side. Fascinating, tightly-wound, excellent acting all around. One complaint about a deus ex machina toward the end, but otherwise, good stuff.

The Hong Kong original, Infernal Affairs, is a classic, and the next two sequels are solid cop dramas on their own merits. Worth watching.