What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Finally saw Jackie Chan's The Myth.

The Good:

Jackie is really trying here. His acting has improved over the decades, and he has a few genuinely good moments. His age works for him in the period drama parts of the film; he makes a convincing general, and his martial arts are limited to genuinely good sword work with some actual blood and consequences. Enemies die, a major change from most of Jackie's run of Family Friendly Kung Fu flicks. The period drama section of the film is pitched at a somewhat older audience, and works on that level. The set design is good, costuming is excellent, cinematography is solid, the battle scenes are done well, and the location shooting and choice of guest stars are both strong (not unusual in a Chan globe trotting film).

The Bad:

The Sci Fi aspects of the modern half of the film are complete crap, with Trek-Speak that won't fool ten year olds. They should have stuck with simple reincarnation, or even better dropped the modern half of the story and just stuck with the much better done period drama. The stunts in the modern half were mostly old retreads of Jackie bits, though he does at least show some awareness of his age by keeping the HtH limited and again showing off that surprisingly good sword work.

I did get a grin out of the choice to use his comic relief sidekick as a weapon.

Overall, this is worth renting, and shows hints of one path Chan's career could take.

Woo! Just saw Spirited Away! Loved it, 5 outa 5 stars from me. It's about a young girl who gets trapped in a fairy world, and I don't mean a nice place with winged sprites and magical princesses. It's a much more Brother's Grimm sorta place, and there's a couple of places were you honestly get concerned for her survival.

It's never gory or violent, but there is one bleeding dragon, and I'd recomend PG-13, just cause very little kids might not understand it.

Yes, and Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service is now on my list.

Kind of cliched' date=' but if you like movies about dogfighting, of which Hollywood has a severe shortage, it's decent. There was, unfortunately, a completely useless plotline, and several useless characters.[/quote']

errr...... so your saying it was a standard Hollywood movie then?

:sneaky:

The Last Mimsy. This movie is much more frightening for parents than it is for children. It relies on some unrealistic plot points, and some people behaving irrationally. Aside from that, it was really quite good. The child actors did very well, and they were also quite well scripted - the ten-year-old is given a script that is filled with the way a ten-year-old behaves. There are some subtexts of the movie (alienation, disconnectedness, and modern life) that are very well showed without being told. On the whole I liked it, but mostly because I saw it with a seven year old and didn't mind either of us seeing it. The two instances of product placement were mild, and one of them was actually funny.

Don't ask me how, but I got to see the new Doctor Who episode, "Smith and Jones" last night. Freema Ageyman isn't as babealicious as Billie Piper (who is?), but Martha Jones is a fun, resourceful character and she's smart and funny, so she'll do just fine. And David Tennant appears to have settled down a little bit.

errr...... so your saying it was a standard Hollywood movie then?

Yes.

Josh and I watched Happy Feet and THX1138 last night. The first was cute; the latter, weird. It was like Logan's Run with less of a point. Maybe I missed something, but I am NOT watching it again to see what.

Yes.

Josh and I watched Happy Feet and THX1138 last night. The first was cute; the latter, weird. It was like Logan's Run with less of a point. Maybe I missed something, but I am NOT watching it again to see what.

It was Lucas being creative and not commercial.

It was Lucas being creative and not commercial.

Oh. That explains some of it, I think. His creativity sucks, too.

Okay, maybe "sucks" is too strong a word. But after watching that movie, I can only think that his imagination consists of a gigantic white room where crazy people sit on beds and rant about how their scifi dystopia was right to put them away. Before they stomp the authorities to death.