What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Zu Warriors' date=' the 2001 film, not the 80s one. Very colorful, like watching a Chinese wuxia comic rendered into live-action film. The characters are basically superheroes. The plot is almost completely incomprehensible, but it's still a fun watch.[/quote']

I saw that this is on Netflix currently. I have the actual chinese release with the original name The Legend of Zu. I also have the original Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain on VHS. I wonder if they changed anything from the original release. I was very disappointed in what they did to Drunken Master II (aka the Legend of Drunken Master in the U.S. They chopped a LOT of stuff out of this one) and it makes me afraid to buy the "official" english release of any Wuxia films these days.

And yes, the characters, like in any Wuxia film, are basically superheroes. This is something that a lot of Americans can't wrap their brain around. They think a Kung Fu movie is a Kung Fu movie, but that's not the case. In China, Wuxia IS their version of the Superhero genre. Suspending your disbelief is not necessary because the films are pure fantasy. Gods and Wizards do battle in Wuxia. Why is it easier to accept such things in Clash of the Titans and not in Dragon Chronicles: Legend of the Heavenly Maiden...

Zu Warriors' date=' the 2001 film, not the 80s one. Very colorful, like watching a Chinese wuxia comic rendered into live-action film. The characters are basically superheroes. The plot is almost completely incomprehensible, but it's still a fun watch.[/quote']

it is indeed

ninja turtle the next mutation

I saw that this is on Netflix currently. I have the actual chinese release with the original name The Legend of Zu. I also have the original Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain on VHS. I wonder if they changed anything from the original release. I was very disappointed in what they did to Drunken Master II (aka the Legend of Drunken Master in the U.S. They chopped a LOT of stuff out of this one) and it makes me afraid to buy the "official" english release of any Wuxia films these days.

And yes, the characters, like in any Wuxia film, are basically superheroes. This is something that a lot of Americans can't wrap their brain around. They think a Kung Fu movie is a Kung Fu movie, but that's not the case. In China, Wuxia IS their version of the Superhero genre. Suspending your disbelief is not necessary because the films are pure fantasy. Gods and Wizards do battle in Wuxia. Why is it easier to accept such things in Clash of the Titans and not in Dragon Chronicles: Legend of the Heavenly Maiden...

I'll have to check those out. I think I have seen the original ZU... several beautiful women iirc...

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo--excellent , though hard to watch in places

Chocolate--an autistic Thai girl has the ability to learn any martial arts move just by watching it or movies of it, and uses this to protect her family--decent, not what I expected

Blue Gender(movie)--not bad, I do wonder what issues with women Japanese animators seem to have, because so many monsters seem to have female genitalia for mouths(with and without teeth).

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo--excellent ' date=' though hard to watch in places[/quote']

It is very good although the remake looks as if it might be good. Daniel Craig is on a roll

Das Boot the Director's Cut

Whew... that's a dark 3+ hours.

Wikipedia says the uncut version of Das Boot is 293 mins (compared with the 209 mins directors cut)

Regardless it is very good and you feel sympathy for the crew even though from my perspective particularly they were the enemy. Well worth getting.