What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I think it's all the "see how witty I am" dialogue moments coupled with some truly substandard animation. I think that the topper for me was the "Kosher pig" and his police partner in the synagogue chasing after Fritz.

Just got back from "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", and I think that it's probably the best movie that the franchise has produced.

JoeG

My only faforite Bakshi bit was

from Wizards. Even that was impaired by poor animation technique, but of course, Terrytoons wasn't famous for its animation excellence, either.

My only faforite Bakshi bit was
from Wizards. Even that was impaired by poor animation technique' date=' but of course, Terrytoons wasn't famous for its animation excellence, either.[/quote']

that and the scene at the end-iirc, when the Luger came out... only parts that I remember liking

Bakshi has had serious race problems throughout his career. One of his films had such degrading racial content -- even in the title -- that his distributors refused to release it at all.

Which one was that?

Personally, I like segments of Wizards, found Lord of the Rings to be just awful, Fritz the Cat to be somewhat interesting, and would like to see American Pop and Heavy Traffic, if only to say I've seen it and to form my own opinions.

Which one was that?

I don't want to use the title on this board. It's that bad. And if the title is that bad, imagine what the movie must have been like....

Personally' date=' I like segments of [i']Wizards[/i], found Lord of the Rings to be just awful, Fritz the Cat to be somewhat interesting, and would like to see American Pop and Heavy Traffic, if only to say I've seen it and to form my own opinions.

His LOTR film was so bad that it was merciful that he didn't get to finish it. (He only completed one of two planned films before the box office turned out so hideous that the studio put up the stop signal.)

I don't want to use the title on this board. It's that bad. And if the title is that bad' date=' imagine what the movie must have been like....[/quote']

Based on the IMDB list, I can only presume you're talking about Coonskin, which is apparently a satire on race relations as well as re-telling of various Br'er Rabbit et al stories.

Based on the IMDB list' date=' I can only presume you're talking about [i']Coonskin[/i], which is apparently a satire on race relations as well as re-telling of various Br'er Rabbit et al stories.

Well, here's what information Tv Tropes has on it if you think that site is trustworthy: Coonskin

According to what they say, the film got tanked due to Al Sharpton and CORE.

Season of the Witch

It was a passable fantasy movie that came just shy of hitting all the right notes; in every scene. Some moments of humor. Relatively decent twist. Not unforeseeable nor a total shocker, but decent. The climactic final scene wasn't.

A better director could have probably made this movie one of the greats. As it was, I was congratulating myself for not wasting precious resources to see it at the theater.

I'm netflixing the BBC series from a few years ago called Jeckyl. James Nesbit is awesome. It's about the modern day games played between the descendant of the original Henry Jeckly and his alter ego. They do a great job of screwing each other over. And the British chick (brunette) from Leverage is his wife. Fun so far.

At lunch time I'm watching last season's episodes of DEXTER. Thought I'd hate the introduction of Julia styles to the cast, but she's doing just fine so far. Odds are she didn't last the season though, if the history of guest stars keeps up.

Jekyll was great. I agree the actor was brilliant in both roles, but I especially loved him as Jekyll. I highly recommend the series to anyone who has not seen it. Gina Bellman was also good. I did not expect her to have as much dramatic range as she did. I mainly remember her from Coupling, where she played a complete arihead. Too bad they didn't do more of them.

Julia Stiles was a very good guest star on Dexter, and I liked the whole storyline for that season very much. I don't want to spoil it for you, but I don't think you will be disappointed. There were a lot of edge of your seats moments.

I think it's all the "see how witty I am" dialogue moments coupled with some truly substandard animation. I think that the topper for me was the "Kosher pig" and his police partner in the synagogue chasing after Fritz.

Just got back from "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", and I think that it's probably the best movie that the franchise has produced.

JoeG

Bakshi was an innovator for his time. His work often just doesn't stand up well in retrospective. You have to understand that he was making subversive and intentionally controversial material. He was making a sort of anti-Disney statement with his early films. His animation was meant to be the equivalent of underground comics set in motion. Some of it was memorable. Some of it was execrable.