CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE: NotW -- Updating Villains

Steve Long

Darren's already taken the temperature of the fans insofar as CU:NotW in general is concerned, but I thought I'd start up a separate thread about one of my parts of the book -- the chapter of updated villains.

Since we're updating and expanding the character sheets of some of our heroes, such as the Champions, naturally we want to do the same for some of the villains. I just thought I'd find out which ones y'all might like to get a five-years-later update on.

Here are the rules: :)

1. Really all I'm looking for here is a list of, say, no more than half a dozen villains you'd like to see updated. Feel free to briefly describe why that character made your list (e.g., "I'd like to find out how Ogre's stock portfolio did in 2005"), but for the most part I don't really want suggestions about howchange/expand/upgrade them. It's enough to know that you think the character deserves a bit of buffing. ;)

2. If I've already updated/expanded/upgraded a character in an Ultimate book or other book, I'm not going to change him again, or reprint those character sheets in this book. I've got little enough space to work with as it is. ;)

3. Characters I've already updated are Ankylosaur, Anubis, Hornet, Lady Blue, the Slug, and Talisman*. As the work progresses I'll add to this list.

So, let me know what you think!

*: You know you're doing something right when you update/upgrade an evil mystical character with hellfire powers and her final point total ends up at... 666 points. :eg:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE: NotW -- Updating Villains

I'd like updates of:

Utility, Mechassassin, Lazer and Steel Commando - they are all in competition with one another. Surely at least one of them has done something about the others. Something nasty...

More to come when I look at the books (Champions and CKC mainly, right?)

I'm curious about the Warmachine and the Warlord. There's too much instability in the world (even, I imagine, in the CU) that the Warlord would pass up a chance to capitalize on it in one way or another.

Did Herculan ever face Ironclad in the showdown he wanted, and how did the victory or defeat affect him? Did it force him to grow (and I'm not just talking more points), or lower him to new depths?

I'm curious about the Ultimates: Specifically, I'd like to find out if Binder ever becomes the Ultimate Mastermind.

I'd like to find out how the official interaction between Takofanes and the Crowns of Krimm went (and possibly find out who the new members of the Crowns of Krimm are as a result).

I'd like to find out what Kevin Poe does beyond his write up in Millenium city.

I don't know if Radar and Sonar exist in the rebooted Champions Universe, but I'm curious to find out what happened to them (last I saw them was in the 3rd(?) edition write up for Stronghold. (Sidenote: what supplement is Ripper in?)

I'd like to find out how Mentalla and Menton are getting along.

I'm also curious as to what Eurostar is doing now that Europe is more united.

I don't know if the Idiot King (from 4th edition Dark Champions) still exists, but I'd like to see him brought back and played off against the Black Harlequin (oh, the comptetion between those two would be hilarious- the Riddler vs the Joker).

Do BlowTorch, Riptide, Temblor and Zephyr ever form the Elemental Evils?

Do Utility and Mirage ever resolve that sexual tension between them?

and of course, last but not least: What's Foxbat up to? Does he ever form his organization? Will we see Agent One, Agent X, Agent Orange & Charly, his loyal minions?

I think I'd be interested in seeing updates to Doctor Destroyer's organization, as well as some updates to Foxbat (maybe including a lair?), Slug (with maybe some Cthonic minions?), Gravitar (Any chance of a Brotherhood/Sisterhood?) and finally, how about some updates on Demon, Viper, UNTIL and other organizations? :)

I'm curious about the Ultimates: Specifically, I'd like to find out if Binder ever becomes the Ultimate Mastermind.

I'd like to find out how the official interaction between Takofanes and the Crowns of Krimm went (and possibly find out who the new members of the Crowns of Krimm are as a result).

I'd like to find out what Kevin Poe does beyond his write up in Millenium city.

I don't know if Radar and Sonar exist in the rebooted Champions Universe, but I'm curious to find out what happened to them (last I saw them was in the 3rd(?) edition write up for Stronghold. (Sidenote: what supplement is Ripper in?)

I'd like to find out how Mentalla and Menton are getting along.

I'm also curious as to what Eurostar is doing now that Europe is more united.

I don't know if the Idiot King (from 4th edition Dark Champions) still exists, but I'd like to see him brought back and played off against the Black Harlequin (oh, the comptetion between those two would be hilarious- the Riddler vs the Joker).

Do BlowTorch, Riptide, Temblor and Zephyr ever form the Elemental Evils?

Do Utility and Mirage ever resolve that sexual tension between them?

and of course, last but not least: What's Foxbat up to? Does he ever form his organization? Will we see Agent One, Agent X, Agent Orange & Charly, his loyal minions?

Champions Battlegrounds suggest that Utility and Mirage...at least temporarily...patch things over.

Rob

How about presenting an upgraded Grond in a Hulk-level power class, capable of challenging the Champions all by himself? His relative lack of power given the historical level of power the character brought to bear has been the subject of a recent thread.

How about presenting an upgraded Grond in a Hulk-level power class' date=' capable of challenging the Champions all by himself? His relative lack of power given the historical level of power the character brought to bear has been the subject of a recent thread.[/quote']

Grond was updated in The Ultimate Brick and thus, falls under Steve's Rule 2.

Champions Battlegrounds suggest that Utility and Mirage...at least temporarily...patch things over.

Yes, but what I want to know is if it is indeed temporary? ie did the rivalry get traded in for psych lims (in love with x) reflecting the change? Or was the break up bad. Very bad? Either way, it's interesting.

Who cares about Brangelina, Bennifer and TomKat when we have Utimirage, MeduPsimon, and Warbirdpath to satisfy our media-obsessed voyeurism? (on that note, an 8 page Superworld tabloid PDF about Champions characters would make an awesome prop).

FOXBAT,

My favorite "bad guy", a loon, a lovable loon, a badguy loon, but always a loon.

The only update I would suggest would be more plot hooks... I have a few in mind....

Also how about an "option" that he is not a villian, but a random element in your game, remember he is CRAZY, and that can lead to a lot of trouble, but make him not neccesarly evil.

(Sidenote: what supplement is Ripper in?)

He's in the VIPER supplement.

As for your other questions, Shaft -- in pretty much all cases where you asked if someone would track what happened under earlier editions (e.g., Binder becoming "Ultimate Mastermind," Foxbat assembling an organization), the answer is "no." In any event, changes that severe or extensive would usually require far more space than what I'm talking about here. The writeups I'm working on are just revamped character sheets with 1-3 paragraphs explaining what the character's been up to and what sort of changes are involved. ;)

The writeups I'm working on are just revamped character sheets with 1-3 paragraphs explaining what the character's been up to and what sort of changes are involved. ;)

For some characters, perhaps a shorter update might be beneficial. I'm thinking of the brief on what the character has been up to, and a summary of changes to the character sheet rather than a full revamped sheet. For example, if the character has acquired two skill levels with his Multipower and bought off his 2x END limitation, that's easily stated without a revamped character sheet. I'm thinking this would be most useful for characters whose activities update is of interest, but whose character sheets aren't going to change markedly (and not every character is, I assume, going to see a huge update). This might allow more characters to at least get a mention, perhaps making some room for the "runners up".

in pretty much all cases where you asked if someone would track what happened under earlier editions... the answer is "no." In any event' date=' changes that severe or extensive would usually require far more space than what I'm talking about here. The writeups I'm working on are just revamped character sheets with 1-3 paragraphs explaining what the character's been up to and what sort of changes are involved. ;)[/quote']

Is it the plan that the character sheets for updated characters be written out fully, or will it just list the portions that change and ask the reader to refer to the original?

There would be advantages to both approaches. Having a fully written out sheet presents all the updated characters in one centralised location, but having just updates allows far more updates to be given- but inevitably, some people will grumble about the product not being stand alone.

My preference would be for the latter approach, since I think most people who buy this supplement will already have some kind of access to the original write ups. Of course, I'll buy it either way since either way I'm confident that it will be a great product.

Is it the plan that the character sheets for updated characters be written out fully' date=' or will it just list the portions that change and ask the reader to refer to the original?[/quote']

I would prefer the full character sheet minus the background like the updated characters in the ultimate books. That would be more useful to me. I wouldn't have to refer to two sources in play.

For some characters' date=' perhaps a shorter update might be beneficial. I'm thinking of the brief on what the character has been up to, and a summary of changes to the character sheet rather than a full revamped sheet. [/quote']

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Or even just an update in text, with no character sheet, for villains that have been reworked recently. Just tell me what's been going on since CU.

Also, a master list of villains, so I know which supplement each one is in.

Hmm, are there NEW villains around? What if I want a 250 point or 350 point villain instead of a 666 point villain? On the master list of villains, you could list point values and a rating (based on the Superhuman Survey?) that roughly follows the "Rule of X." This would help me figure out which villains I might want to use.

If you really want to go all out, a "random villain generator" might be fun. :) Make it simple though. For each archetype make one guy with stats and disadvantages, then the GM chooses from two or three powersets for each villain.

OK, villains: Mechanon, Foxbat, Engineer, Duchess Industries, Rainbow Archer. Include some lower point villains like Mentalax, Nightshade, Titaness. You might want to ping Scott Bennie and provide text only updates for the villains he's doing for CotN. Also, I noticed that Spectra got an update in the new Dr. Destroyer module from C25; you could include the villains from that module too.

Maybe also: Plunder (Phobos, Deimos, Silver Dragon, Sleeper, Terastar).

I'm going to ask a very stupid question: just what is CHAMPIONS: News of the World going to be about? Is it just revamped villains, or will there be some news on heroes as well? I imagine we're not going to get anything on just what's happening in the world proper, as I think that's in CUII?

Is it the plan that the character sheets for updated characters be written out fully, or will it just list the portions that change and ask the reader to refer to the original?

The former (as the latter method would be awfully clumsy and difficult for the reader to use). In the event I did small textual descriptions of other characters (which I've thought about adding, and several of you have suggested), they might include brief mentions of pertinent changes (e.g., "SuperBob has been working hard to overcome his fear of heights; reduce his Psychological Limitation about them to only Moderate").

I'm going to ask a very stupid question: just what is CHAMPIONS: News of the World going to be about? Is it just revamped villains, or will there be some news on heroes as well? I imagine we're not going to get anything on just what's happening in the world proper, as I think that's in CUII?

OK, let me see if I can explain. ;) The title's not "Champions: News of the World." It's Champions Universe: News Of The World, as in the header of this thread. This is the "CUII" that you're referring to. :hex: