What have I missed?

In May 2005 I bought a house together with my girlfriend, leading to a temporary dip in both role-playing time and cash to fund new games. Now – two years later – the situation seems to get brighter. In other, I intend to get both more involved in role-playing again. Now to the question:

“During my two years leave from the Hero System, what have I missed?”

I think my current financial situation has the possibility to fund up to four or five books, but since I’ve missed most of the happenings in the Hero community I haven’t got a clue about the current situation. Can you pleas help me compile some kind of shopping list, based on what you think are lacking from my “inventory list” below?

• Champions
  • Champions Universe
  • Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks
  • Dark Champions
  • Dark Champions: The Animated Series
  • Fantasy Hero
  • Fantasy Hero Grimoire I
  • Gadgets And Gear
  • Galactic Champions
  • HERO System 5th Ed. (and the Revised Edition on PDF)
  • HERO System Bestiary
  • Millennium City
  • Monsters, Minions, And Marauders
  • Ninja Hero
  • Star Hero
  • Terran Empire
  • Ultimate Brick
  • Ultimate Martial Artist
  • Ultimate Mystic
  • Ultimate Vehicle
  • UNTIL Superpowers Database I
  • Valdorian Age
  • Villainy Amok (only on PDF)

Re: What have I missed?

Glad to hear your pockets are fuller now, Fredrik. :) Wish I could say the same. :(

Perhaps the easiest way to start would be to check Derek Hiemforth's HERO System Product List. Since that was last compiled at the end of October, Hero Games has released two additional books IIRC: Nobles, Knights And Necromancers (villain/NPC compendium for Fantasy HERO) and the newest edition of The Ultimate Mentalist.

As always, depends on what you're looking to play. For me, and my genre/game type, the following five books are critical to what I do and enjoy doing. Problem is, you've splashed three genres in here, which tells me you haven't entirely decided which one you're doing. I find the single most useful for any sort of modern/gritty sci-fi is Dark Champions, so that's at the top. They're revising Fantasy HERO and releasing it as a 5th Rev. copy, so hold off on the FH for now. Then... I'm a rules guy, I like my rules and I like them crunchy. With bits of gravel for added granularity, so I went with some ULTIMATE series books to round it out. Oh, and of course, 5th Revised is critical.

• Dark Champions
  • HERO System 5th Ed. (and the Revised Edition on PDF)
  • HERO System Bestiary
  • Ultimate Brick
  • Ultimate Martial Artist
  • Ultimate Vehicle

Hmmmm...... Well, without narrowing it down to genre I'd go with: Hero System 5th, Dark Champions, The Ultimate Martial Artist, The Ultimate Vehicle, and Star Hero.

That would cover pretty much every Tech/Action/Sci-Fi movie angle.

If you were thinking Fantasy, I'd drop Dark Champions, The Ultimate Vehicle, and Star Hero and replace with Fantasy Hero, Hero System Beastiary, and Fantasy Hero Grimore.

Hmmm.... I might also recommend The Ultimate Skill and The Combat Handbook.

Thanks for the help guys. You’re helpful as always.

I’m sorry if I was unclear in my first mail. The books on the list are the ones I already own, not the ones I thought about buying.

The Combat Handbook

What are new in the book? I have the Ultimate Martial Artist, Fantasy Hero, Ninja Hero and Dark Champions; don’t they cover the same ground?

Hudson City

From what I understood from reading the playtest this is – sort of – Gotham City, so this is a definite buy even if I’m not sure if it’s number one on the list.

Pulp Hero

I read the playtest and I really enjoyed the book, so this will probably be one of the books I’ll buy.

Spacer's Toolkit

Another playtest (which I also liked) book, but this one I will probably not buy, since I’m not certain that my group will be so keen on running a Space Hero campaign directly after the very long Dragonstar d20 campaign we’ve been involved with. Still, the book my serve as inspiration for magic items, alien tech (we’ve talked about running an apocalypse game) or super gadgets, so I might change my mind.

The Ultimate Mentalist, The Ultimate Metamorph and The Ultimate Skill

I’m a completist, and this line have caught my interest so I will (eventually) by them all. I have decided on which one I ”need” the must right know though. What are their key benefits (besides the ones I can figure from the title), from a generic role playing perspective? I’m not just talking about using the books in Hero System; I’m talking using the books in any game (primary d20, Tri-Stat, Hero System and GURPS).

USDB2

Another will buy…

You've gotta have character

I like the concept, and I will probably buy the book in the future, but since I own the Digital Hero magazines that contain the characters this book isn’t highest on the “to buy” list.

I’m sorry if I was unclear in my first mail. The books on the list are the ones I already own, not the ones I thought about buying.

The Combat Handbook

What are new in the book? I have the Ultimate Martial Artist, Fantasy Hero, Ninja Hero and Dark Champions; don’t they cover the same ground?

No problem, we were all under the same impression it seems. With that in mind, I can address the books you listed that I own.

And the answer to your question here is: Yes, but. ALL of the combat rules are now in one book -- I personally find it indispensible. I don't go to game without it, and it's paid for itself many times over just by being well organized and comprehensive. I think the only ones not included are Mass Combat rules from Fantasy HERO.

Hudson City

From what I understood from reading the playtest this is – sort of – Gotham City, so this is a definite buy even if I’m not sure if it’s number one on the list.

I bought this on a lark, not entirely sure of what to expect. Maps, detailed information about criminals & organizations, plot hooks galore, well written, thoroughly enjoyable. This was my "surprise" book -- I wasn't expecting much from it, and I got a great deal out of it.

Pulp Hero

I read the playtest and I really enjoyed the book, so this will probably be one of the books I’ll buy.

It's a must own, even if you aren't into the genre. It's a "next level" book for Steve, I think, in terms of research, presentation, the whole nine. Fantastic, I really love it.

Spacer's Toolkit

Another playtest (which I also liked) book, but this one I will probably not buy, since I’m not certain that my group will be so keen on running a Space Hero campaign directly after the very long Dragonstar d20 campaign we’ve been involved with. Still, the book my serve as inspiration for magic items, alien tech (we’ve talked about running an apocalypse game) or super gadgets, so I might change my mind.

I would go with HERO System Equipment Guide if you don't already have it, and/or Gadgets & Gear before Spacer's Toolkit. It's a good book, but didn't have quite what I was looking for. It's ship heavy, and I was looking for more cyberware/bioware kinds of things.

The Ultimate Mentalist' date=' The Ultimate Metamorph and The Ultimate Skill[/b']

I’m a completist, and this line have caught my interest so I will (eventually) by them all. I have decided on which one I ”need” the must right know though. What are their key benefits (besides the ones I can figure from the title), from a generic role playing perspective? I’m not just talking about using the books in Hero System; I’m talking using the books in any game (primary d20, Tri-Stat, Hero System and GURPS).

I don't own Mentalist, but I would suggest the following order: Skill, Mentalist, Metamorph. All worth owning, but almost the entire community agrees that Ultimate Skill is the current "must own" of the Ultimate line, right after Martial Artist.

USDB2

Another will buy…

Another book of powers, handy to have around.

You've gotta have character

I can't comment on this one, but ghost-angel should have a review around somewheres.

Books You Need:

The Ultimate Skill - it's universally useful. Flat Out Awesome.

Combat Handbook - repeated info, but all in one place, organized and easy to find, indespensible at the gaming table during play.

Pulp Hero - I have no words to describe just how cool this book is. It should be required reading.

After that, it's depends on your favorite genre.

Fantasy -

Nobles, Knights & Necromancers is fully of NPC Goodness.

Asian Bestiary 1+2 I love these books.

Star -

Worlds Of Empire is excellent, I love the details in this book.

Dark Champions -

Hudson City is an awesome resource for a modern city setting.

Pulp -

Thrilling Places is a great book of settings and adventures IMO.

Champions -

Champions Battlegrounds, honestly when I read it I was just floored by how good it really is.

Everyman - Adds another dimension of NPC goodness to a supers game.

• 1 month later...

So the Ultimate skill is that good? I mean' date=' it didn't sound like it from the blurb[/quote']

It's beyond that good.

If you're still undecided, wait a couple weeks and I'll have a comprehensive review of it posted. (still reading through the 285 pages of Skill descriptions)

So the Ultimate skill is that good? I mean' date=' it didn't sound like it from the blurb[/quote']It truly is. Its a huge book and makes a good case for not loading down your characters with Characteristics and Powers that are too big, because you're going to want plenty of useful Skills. :D

So the Ultimate skill is that good?

It's o.k. I mean...it's not like it gives you an in depth analysis of every single skill including how it can be used, time frames to use a skill or equipment needed to perform a skill. Nor does it give you any new and creative ways to use a skill. Nor does it give you any new and creative means of purchasing skills or new ways of handling unskilled attempts.

It's o.k. I mean...it's not like it gives you an in depth analysis of every single skill including how it can be used' date=' time frames to use a skill or equipment needed to perform a skill. Nor does it give you any new and creative ways to use a skill. Nor does it give you any new and creative means of purchasing skills or new ways of handling unskilled attempts.[/quote']

Ignore the fool.

and his obvious sarcasm.

I have ultimate skill' date=' I do not use it much. I feel that it slows play down to much if you use it, but others can and will disagree.[/quote']

Don't all the books slow play down too much if you use them? I try my best to avoid looking up rules in the middle of the game. Obviously, sometimes, it is unavoidable.

I have ultimate skill' date=' I do not use it much. I feel that it slows play down to much if you use it, but others can and will disagree.[/quote']

My take on this would be to use the book while you are designing an adventure. For example, if there are some locked doors, check out Lockpicking and Security Systems, to see what the applicable skills (and perhaps some others) that could be used, and note down what the penalties and min time would be for them.

Some good sections to read through and be familiar with would be the background skill sections, especially to get a good handle on the specific vs. general background skill charts.

Then, you have your lookups prefetched, so to speak.