Super Metals

Grimble

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Super Metals

Lacking a cool name: Progress Level (as in Alternity). My group's catchall term for futuristic, capital-S Science. Symbol: Pl, Atomic Number: -1. That's why futuristic materials are always lightweight; they're alloyed with Progress Level. Progress Level also appears as energy, crystals, and superhard glass-substitute.

We borrowed "Unobtanium" from "The Core".

Theres also "Rare Elementium", "Absurdium", and "Loathesome-ite".

The original Marvel Superheroes RPG really damaged our ability to name things like that, with their stat names like "Lame", "Gnarly", and "Totally Rad".

(You should see what playing Teenagers From Outer Space did to our ability to name Professional Skills..)

On the more serious side, theres "Flex-steel", "Orichalcum", "Malloril" (like mithril, but gold in color), and "Ceramisteel".

Guest steamteck

I've also got oracthium which absorbs and stores magical energy. If it absorbs evil magic it becomes " tainted" changes to black form its original gold can't be used for healing or recharge. A huge meteor of the stuff originally brought magic into the world in my campaign.

From the Buck Rodgers comic.

Interon: Perfect Insulator vs all Electromagnetic Energy Forms. Interon also has the ability to negate gravity... i.e. it alwys falls up away from a gravity source.

Ultron: Allows for transmission of All Electomanetic Energy Forms with out passing thru space but between tuned Ultron materials. Ultron also has the ability to be dencer than it should be.

Petrium: Can't remember what book I read it in, it's a super hard metal found in the cavern left after an oil well dries up.

The Doctor

FYI, there is no cavern left after an oil well "dries up" (another misconception as well). Oil in the ground does not reside in a cavern, it is contained in porous rock, like water in a sponge. It is under significant pressure in this state and trapped under a non-porous layer. When an oil well is drilled through the non-porous layer into the oil layer, the oil suddenly has a place to go and follows the drillhole to the surface under its own pressure.

When the well "goes dry," the oil-bearing rock layer still has oil in it but with most of the oil in the reservoir removed, the pressure is no longer enough to bring the oil to the surface. There are things that are done to extend the viability of a well, but eventually it costs more to get the oil out than it can be sold for. At this point the well is capped and you have to go elsewhere for more economically viable oil.

If the trap in question is over a still producing source, it will re-charge over time. A lot of time. More time than you have to wait.

But to get on topic (tangentially), I've created aetherstone for my FH campaign. When heated, aetherstone releases aether, a gas that is significantly lighter than air, with a lifting capacity of 3 kg per 1 cubic meter (for reference, helium has a lift of 1.1 kg per cubic meter). When allowed to cool and an electric charge is applied to the aetherstone, it ABSORBS aether back into itself. Aetherstone is used as a lifting agent for the newly developed gnomish airships.

I borrowed the idea from the anime Escaflowne whose flying ships use floating stones whose lift capabilities can be manipulated in a similar manner.

Give me your Kaboomiums and your Unobtainiums! I'd also like a description of what the new metal can do. What properties make it super. If you have a cool background about how it was discovered, I'd love to make use of that, also.

While it's not from my gaming experiences there's Nysteel, from the Time Wars

series of novels by Simon Hawke. It makes it's first appearance in "The

Ivanhoe Gambit", where plate armor made from it is at least as strong as

steel but the time commandos wearing it can sit crosslegged and engage in

combat with little or no encumbrance.

-Carl-

In one game I did years ago I created a metal that was called Element X. Depending on what other metals that were allowed with it, it could do many things.

Element X in pure form was a room temperature super-conductor.

I can't remember what the different alloys did.

When combined with sugar and spice would it make Powerpuff Girls?

This one was inspired by one of my gamers:

Hadium: A rare metallic ore found in the Netherworld, often used by infernals to craft shackles and occasionally weapons and other tools. The metal is nearly invulnerable and cannot be worked once an item is forged. Only a smith with infernal blood can forge hadium. Shackles made from hadium cannot be escaped from by any means other than the use of the correct key or by somehow shattering the shackles (hopefully without killing the person shackled). Wounds left by a weapon made of hadium heal more slowly than ordinary wounds, but the damage done is otherwise normal (weapons are built using Drain STUN & BODY rather than HA or HKA, and always buy the return rate of the BODY to per minute and the return rate of BODY to per season).

A friend of mine had something called Heartstone in his fantasy campaign- a magical metal that could only be worked when bathed in tears, but was invulnerable otherwise.

I had a type of wood that could only be carved or worked in any way by the pure of heart. Pure good or pure evil didn't matter. That meant a staff used to smack a demon would shatter, unless there was a smidgen of good in him.

A friend of mine had something called Heartstone in his fantasy campaign- a magical metal that could only be worked when bathed in tears, but was invulnerable otherwise.

I had a type of wood that could only be carved or worked in any way by the pure of heart. Pure good or pure evil didn't matter. That meant a staff used to smack a demon would shatter, unless there was a smidgen of good in him.

One interesting element of the old Fantasy HERO supplement Magic Items was the various unusual materials that some objects were made from. The metals included "cold silver" mined from under a glacier, used for cold-magic devices; "volcanic gold" taken molten from an active volcano, for fire-magic artifacts; and my personal favorite, "blood iron," from beneath a battlefield. Blood iron was used to create truly ghastly weapons. It absorbed magical properties over time depending on how it was used.

For example, Magic Items wrote up a great troll-forged battleaxe called "Harvest Moon" used in the trolls' war with humans. The blood iron picked up an active hatred of humans, so that it was more deadly when used against them. On the negative side it also exuded a constant psychic hostility toward humans which tended to anger people against the bearer of the axe.

While not strictly a "super-metal", metallic hydrogen deserves a mention. At high enough pressures ( a million atmospheres, or so) hydrogen changes from a gas into a metal, and does all the things a normal metal does.

Moving into speculation land, it is possible that metallic hydrogen may be stable once formed. It would be incredibly light, roughly 1/10 as dense as water, or 1/80 as dense as iron.

It has also been speculated that it may be superconductive to temperatures as high as 290 K (65 F).

And less relevant to a supers game, but still important is that when burned, the transition from metal back to gas would give off significant additonal energy.