Super Metals

Grimble

There's Questionite, Adamantium, Vibranium, Cavorite...

I want to hear about the super metals that have been developed in your game worlds. I have a PC in my game called Metal Master who can sense and manipulate metals and transform any metal to any other metal. I need a list of super metals he may be able to turn stuff into.

Give me your Kaboomiums and your Unobtainiums! I'd also like a description of what the new metal can do. What properties make it super. If you have a cool background about how it was discovered, I'd love to make use of that, also.

Grimble

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest steamteck

Re: Super Metals

Well I have a metal called Krellium. It fantastically light and durable. Also any heat that strikes it distributes though the whole mass of the metal and disapates almost instantly. In addition electrical currents cause it to develop a moving rainbow color. Its also an excellent conductor.It was originally an Atlantean developed metal but still used by an ageless immortal villian however the most brilliant woman in my world (a PC) got a sample and reproduced it The reproducer Laryn Caligari has also made an improved version She calls humbley Larynium. Larynium's major advantage though is that its colors can be adjusted and frozen.

Mostly though I use fairly normal metals plus biphase carbide (BPC) from the old Steve Jackson game ogre.

There is a hypothetical "Island of Stability" on the periodic table where "super-elements" could be found, way past the Actinide series of metals (which contains Uranium, Plutonium and Americium, the latter found in smoke detectors). Elements found there could have half-lives of hundreds of millions of years, or even be completely stable. Here you can place a half-dozen of your pet elements, which you could combine to make your super-alloys. Make your Element 118 "Adamantium", and no one will blame you- it could be the world's only "noble" (non-reactive) metal!

Dilithium (Dl; element 119). Stable light metal. Readily combines with oxygen and other elements. Extremely rare; forms in supernovae cores that do not result in a neutron star or black hole. Not found on Earth; perhaps in the asteroid belt, or in the Kuiper belt planets (like Pluto). Even less common in pure crystalline form. Difficult to synthesize unless you have your own customized atom smasher. Has very unusual property in that it is a high-temperature superconductor in a vacuum, and is almost unbreakable in crystalline form (you can scratch a diamond with it). Can store massive amounts of electromagnetic radiation (heat, light, electricity), and re-emit it as either electricity or light. Alien races like to use it for high-volume energy rectification and storage; hence the name taken from "Star Trek".

Federanium:

From Star Frontiers was supposedly unbreakable, but incredibly dense.

Osmium: It's what colossus's metal body is made of "Organic Metal" flexible with tissue like regeneration.

Petrium: Can't remember what book I read it in, it's a super hard metal found in the cavern left after an oil well dries up.

The Doctor

Well I have a metal called Krellium. It fantastically light and durable. Also any heat that strikes it distributes though the whole mass of the metal and disapates almost instantly. In addition electrical currents cause it to develop a moving rainbow color. Its also an excellent conductor.It was originally an Atlantean developed metal but still used by an ageless immortal villian however the most brilliant woman in my world (a PC) got a sample and reproduced it

Emphasis added.

Krellium? Surely this versatile metal was inspired by the Krell metal of Forbidden Planet?

Repped (even if I'm wrong.)

Osmium: It's what colossus's metal body is made of "Organic Metal" flexible with tissue like regeneration.

Alas:

Osmium: Symbol Os' date=' atomic number 76. A hard, brittle, blue-gray or blue-black transition metal in the platinum family, osmium is one of the densest natural elements and is used in some alloys with platinum and iridium. The extraordinary density of osmium is a consequence of the lanthanide contraction. Osmium is found native as an alloy in platinum ore and its tetroxide has been used to stain tissues and in fingerprinting. Alloys of osmium are employed in fountain pen tips, electrical contacts and in other applications where extreme durability and hardness are needed...[/quote']

I have to admit, though, that I've always liked osmium and iridium, mainly due to the Hammer's Slammers military sci-fi series...

Guest steamteck

Emphasis added.

Krellium? Surely this versatile metal was inspired by the Krell metal of Forbidden Planet?

Repped (even if I'm wrong.)

Precisely! We do that stuff all the time. Did you notice the genius last name was "Caligari". She invented teleport booths and called them "Caligari cabinets"

I'm going to be shortly introducing my players to a metal called quantanium that emits radiation capable of shifting the quantum states of an object irradiated by it.

Properly focused in a ray (by a specific kind n-dimensional crystalline lens), it can transform people or objects into near-world states. I.e., it could heal you (since your healthy state is a local possible world), but it would be more difficult to change you into a cat (since you-as-cat is a more remote possible world).

Currently, my players are attempting to find out what "secret weapon" Alexander the Great brought back with him from India. Next session they should finish up their adventure in the tomb of Ptolemy the 1st, builder of the lighthouse of Alexandria, about which it was said it could set flame to the sails of ships some thirty miles away and enable one who looked through its highly polished glass to see as far away as Rhodes.

Focus indeed...

In my game, only Atlanteum (as it's called on the surface world by the few who've come across it) is known. It's a light weight white steel that doesn't rust, doesn't conduct electricity, and carries a buoyancy approximately equal to water.

BTW, the Atlanteans just call it "steel" :)

I belive promethium metal is dc's anser to adamantium. A door made af it was quoted as being unbreachable even by superman, who neither proved or disproved it. also the goverment seams to have no problem making relativlely large quantities of it.

Someone mentioned Iridium previously, this is a real element rare on earths crust but found in high abundance in asteroids.

Promethium actually appears in both DC and Marvel Comics, though I think DC is the one to really use it frequently. It was a big hit with Marv Wolfman when he was writing the New Teen Titans books during the 80's. The following is from Wikipedia describing it:

DC Comics

Depleted promethium

In DC comics, promethium was invented and patented by Steve Dayton of Dayton Industries. When alloyed with titanium and vanadium, it forms a near-invulnerable metal. The bionic & cybernetic components of Vic Stone (better known as Cyborg) are made out of depleted promethium, and Arsenal of the Justice League wears a bodysuit that combines both depleted promethium and Kevlar; Deathstroke the Terminator's mesh armour, sword and staff are made (either wholly or in part) of depleted promethium.

Volatile promethium

Promethium is also capable of generating near-limitless amounts of energy, and so can be used as a power source for many gadgets. Volatile promethium is also a dangerous mutagen that can be used to mutate living beings or trigger their metagene; Dayton used it when creating the super-powered criminals known as the Hybrid.

Marvel Comics

In Marvel Comics, promethium is a magical metal found only in Belasco's dimension known as Otherplace. In Otherplace, it takes the form of a giant animal heart, hidden in a cavern deep below its surface. Removal of the promethium to another dimension will cause Limbo to vanish. The heart of Limbo was once sought by the supervillain Doctor Doom as an inexhaustible energy source for his nation of Latveria. It is currently in the possession of Darkoth.

Other Media

In the Spider-Man animated series, promethium X is an previously unknown element found on the Moon in conjunction with the Venom Symbiote by astronaut John Jameson. It is a black rock slightly larger than a fist, that looks similar to coal.

Alistair Smythe (then still a regular human in a hoverchair) discovered its first unusual property: normally inert, Promethium X when exposed to high temperatures, will react with an atomic explosion, making it a perfect untraceable terrorist weapon.

The second unusual property, however, was discovered by Spider-Man. Promethium X gradually transmutes itself into lead. The series never specifies what it was reacting to, but since it remained on the Moon as promethium X, it can be assumed the catalyst is something it encountered on Earth, such as oxygen, nitrogen, sound, or ambient warmth.

Quintessium

Quintessium is an amazing metal that is the product of revolutionary super-science. It is heavier than steel, but thousands of times stronger. In fact, once set it is nearly indestructible. Though the process to produce quintessium has been mastered, it is still extremely expensive to make and even harder to form into usable shapes. As a result it is very rare. Though several papers have been published about its properties and uses, many in the scientific community still think of it as a mythical metal that does not yet exist or cannot be produced in any way that is useful. Despite these beliefs, quintessium has been used for a number of uses due to some of its lesser known qualities.

• Like steel, quintessium is affected by magnetic fields and conducts electricity.
  • While conducting electricity, quintessium generates a psionic dampening field.
  • Solid quintessium, or even a tight mesh, blocks most forms of teleportation.

A lesser known bit of information about quintessium is that it has apparently existed hundreds of years before it was invented in 2003. Samples of quintessium daggers, swords, jewelry and other items have been discovered throughout the world, some dating back as far as the 2nd century. No one knows how this quintessium came to be. Some believe ancient alchemists discovered how to make it, while others believe the items are evidence of time travel.

A very good friend of mine came up with Uberite, which comes in a 'raw' form: a golden coloured metal, quite soft and easily worked, and a refined form, a silvery metal that is, in essence, indestructible. In fact, once refined, the only thing that can affect Uberite are certain superpowers, specifically built to manipulate the stuff.

I use Solidium, which is not actually a metal but, or so scientists have speculated, a form of solid energy, an interference point in reality which cancels pretty much anything, any other energy or impact. If you actually could damage Solidium you would probably wreak terrible damage on the surrounding environment, some sort of dimensional tear, or rupture. Probably.

I've also been known to use Throbmoanium, but only in comedy campaigns.

Over in Marvel land' date=' there's also the mysterious magical metal, uru.[/quote']

Uru is sometimes described as metal, sometimes stone. The look of it is rather stone-like, and during the famous "Ultron Unlimited" story arc in Avengers Mjolnir was apparently unaffected by Antarctic vibranium, the so-called "anti-metal" which can dissolve even adamantium.

Shazamium - a bracelet of this allowed a person to pass, ghost-like through objects.

Sivanium - used to make very life-like robots.

and Marvelium - a material so tough that a ghost-like person with that bracelet I mentioned still couldn't pass through it.

All from a late Golden Age captain Marvel story.