This is why I play Fantasy Hero

mayapuppies

Re: This is why I play Fantasy Hero

Maybe it would have been more funny if I'd ever seen a DnD group that just rolled initiative' date=' attacked, and got attacked.[/quote']

Yeah...that thought never crossed my mind when I was in High school...then again, there was only 1 roleplaying group in my town...us. After I joined the Navy, I found out there were a bunch of roleplaying groups in the barracks and was overjoyed...until I actually played with several of them. It went something like this:

GM: You enter the dungeon...

ME: Wait a sec...we don't meet at a tavern in town or anything?

GM: Ummm...no...umm...there's a dungeon...

ME: Soooooo...what happened on the way to the dungeon?

GM: Ummm...er...well...Not much. You caught some game and had a nice hearty meal! So anyway, the entrance to the dungeon is covered in cobwebs...at least you HOPE its cobwebs...

ME: Why the hell are we at this dungeon again?

Other Guy: Yeah, why ARE we here?

GM: *sigh* To find treasure, why else?

ME: Umm...I'm a Paladin...I don't loot consecrated tombs without good reason. And this treasure could very well belong to someone....I could be stealing it.

GM: Well, this dungeon is a well-known hideout for some evil Orcs and they've been raiding villages lately, so your here to liberate the objects that they've looted recently.

ME: Okay, thats more like it.

(fast forward to combat)

GM: Okay, you see 6 Orcs just as they spot you. They pull their weapons and charge! Roll initiative.

(sound of dice rolling. The players tally initiative scores)

ME: (on my turn) How wide is this hallway?

GM: huh? Umm..its about 10 feet wide. (standard Graph-paper scale)

ME: Good, thats pretty cramped for 6 Orcs weilding large axes and swords to be flailing around in. My character is going to step forward with his sword swinging in a tight arc toward the enemy, then drop to one knee at the last minute and take out the Orcs legs.

GM: ???

Player 3: Wow, thats a cool move. I wanna do that too!

GM: Ummm...

ME: Is there a problem?

GM: You can't do that.

ME: why not?

GM: There isn't enough room in the hallway for you to pull that kind of maneuver.

ME: But there's room enough in the hallway for 6 battleaxe wielding Orcs to attack the party simultaneously? I beg to differ.

GM: well..I don't have rules for something like that, so you can't do it.

ME: (getting up) well, you guys enjoy your evening. I'm going to go watch The Simpsons.

After several (try at least 10) experiences like that, I decided to look for an RPG that DID have rules to cover the types of situations I wanted my characters to be involved in. Thus, I found HERO and here I am.

Perhaps I'm a masochist' date=' but I actually enjoyed reading that transcript. I think it's the "watch the car crash" instinct in me...[/quote']

The sad part about that is that I'm not exaggerating even a little bit for entertainment sake. Thats pretty much how it went down and thats exactly what spoiled me on DnD and why I don't play it anymore. I felt that its system discouraged imaginative roleplay during combat (DnD combat is typically "roll-play") and I wanted to go the opposite way of that. Not necesarily getting rid of dice rolls (I believe they are essential to the experience) but I wanted to give my players the ability to do anything their characters could reasonably accomplish within the scope of the genre at hand and limited only by their own imaginations and not the game design.

Feh, and you call yourself a paladin...

You didn't spend even ten seconds expressing your faith in a loud voice and calling on them to surrender and live! You're supposed to spread the faith, not just kill the evil-doers!

j/k :P It's D&D! Hack away!

Feh, and you call yourself a paladin...

You didn't spend even ten seconds expressing your faith in a loud voice and calling on them to surrender and live! You're supposed to spread the faith, not just kill the evil-doers!

j/k :P It's D&D! Hack away!

I know you're joking but you've reminded me nonetheless of one of the best paladins I ever saw played - the player was my fiancee at the time (now my wife) who didn't have a long history with role playing and the various tropes. She took one look at the description of the paladin class and played one of the most ruthless characters I've ever seen. As she explained it the guy was a holy warrior, utterly convinced of the rightness of his cause. He was definitely lawful and definitely good, but he was not a nice guy in the least. In the example you mention he wouldn't try to spread his faith to the orcs (his faith was not one that tried to convert others) and if the orcs had been raiding, thieving & killing in the area anyway then *even if they had been human* the law would probably have sentenced them to death anyway. So he'd kill them without a second thought.

/Offtopic

I'm sorry you all had "DM"s unable to roll witih the punches of creative thought. Mine just makes a ruling and writes it down for further use.

Course, I'd LOVE to play fantasy HERO with any of you. So there is that. I got him to play Champions a couple sessions.

I know you're joking but you've reminded me nonetheless of one of the best paladins I ever saw played - the player was my fiancee at the time (now my wife) who didn't have a long history with role playing and the various tropes. She took one look at the description of the paladin class and played one of the most ruthless characters I've ever seen. As she explained it the guy was a holy warrior, utterly convinced of the rightness of his cause. He was definitely lawful and definitely good, but he was not a nice guy in the least. In the example you mention he wouldn't try to spread his faith to the orcs (his faith was not one that tried to convert others) and if the orcs had been raiding, thieving & killing in the area anyway then *even if they had been human* the law would probably have sentenced them to death anyway. So he'd kill them without a second thought.

/Offtopic

Miko!

Keith "Order of the Stick Fan" Curtis

/Offtopic

Usually I play the typical "nice" paladin - even my current character who started out as a barbarian and is evolving into a divine champion is basically a decent chap, if a bit enthisiastic when it comes to fighting.

But a while back I played a "bastard paladin" like this (after clearing it with the GM). Totally convinced he was right and totally merciless to anybody not of the faith. He used to carry a little book of holy teachings around (slung from his belt by a chain in best Games Workshop style) which he used to open and quote from "See! Here! It says Enemies of the Faith "to be destroyed". Not converted. Not taken prisoner. Not left wounded and told to behave better in future. Destroyed!"

I basically played him like Judge Dredd and didn't actually expect him to have long life expectancy since he a) irritated the rest of the group and B) was always first in and last out of any fight (unless he thought it was "unrighteous" in which case he wouldn't fight at all). But in fact, he proved near indestructible - and the rest of the party put up with his foibles in exchange for a meat shield that never learned :D Eventually he started learning magic, getting ever crazier and more powerful, until he finally vanished making a valiant last stand against hordes of evil dark elves, so that the rest of the party could escape. Once they had gotten away, he threw himself (badly wounded) into a racing underground torrent, and was swept away so maybe he's not actually dead..

cheers, Mark

My moms old gaming group had a player who's Paladin was nicknamed ShinyBritches. He earned this name because after dying and being resurected by an illusionist (the fact that he was alive may or may not have actually been an illusion), he became a little less right in the head, and was prone to polishing his armor to the point that it would actually blind his enemies.

d02 roolz!!!11!!!111!1

i don't think and from first hand experience that the op's example are symptomatic of the system' date=' rather than the dm/gm. Some people just have no business running a game. I immagine that the fictitious gm in the cartoon would have ruined any system he touched.[/quote']

Agreed. However, I think The Game Which Shall Not Be Mentioned, having evolved from wargaming, at least encourages this style of play.

I, myself, have penalized players for choosing style over substance in combat and now repent my unenlightened ways. If you want realistic combat simulations, then by all means penalize impactical maneuvers. I prefer more cinematic combat and should therefore encourage such flair.

• 4 weeks later...

/Offtopic

Well just so everyone else doesn't feel like a heel for derailing the thread, I'll continue the trend :P

I was in a group as the Paladin. He was a self-rightous (he could spell it even if I can't) pompus ass. Unfortuately I always got XP taken away for not acting like a Paladin. I tried to explain that I was, and that lawful good doesn't have to mean making nice with everyone. No one got it, so I went back to playing a Wizard...They can always be a pompus ass if they want.