"Back when I started playing Champions...."

Pariah

Re: "Back when I started playing Champions...."

TRUE STORY:

Back when I started playing Champions I had to cut up a square dowel rod for dice in the junior high wood shop and claim I was making a set of doll house sized blocks for my sister for Christmas. (My budget was limited, but the shop had free materials back in those days.) I had to make that story up because the principal was convinced that people with dice were gambling. I took them home and put the pips on with a marker. After my parents saw me using those at a session in the basement, I got two dozen regular ones for Christmas that year.

Matt "The-Do-It-Yourself-Gamer" Frisbee

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when I started playing Champions we only had book 1 & 2 and were playing the orignal champions from the Champions. Some of you know them the Markman, IceStar, Giant, Flare, Rose. than our Ref made the mistake of letting us make our own characters. that is how I learned what true rule bending was. a 400pt character built with 250pt. if any one ever ask you for a 1/4 limit on teleknissis becouse it is only usable with a certian object think real hard about what they will do with that object than just say NO

When I first started playing 81 or 82 (it's hard to remember), there was only one, and I do mean 1 book in print. Betwen the 7 or 8 of us that played, we had two books (one was owned by a guy named David Peterson), and the copy I saved up to order.

If you wanted to create a character, one of us would loan you the book, and we would get it back when you wer finished. When the various supplements (Champions II & III, Stronghold, the Circle & METE) started coming out, one person in the group woud get it, and the rest of use would eithe hand copy info, or just try to memorize the info, as copy machines were not easy to get to in Jr. high. Man this is making me feel old as dirt.

True story. The first time I played Champs we did not realize we got the 100pt base. All of our "superheros" had 4-5d6 attacks and no real movement powers. A few runs in, we realized our mistake and reworked all of our characters. WOW, What a difference! And yes, this would be before Champions II and III came out.

And yes, I have a bunch of those 20 page supplements with each villain taking up half a page. Ah, how times have changed.

I rolled dice for my first Hero's characteristics!

I....wasn't much of a reader.

I think my first Champions Boxed set was second edition, second printing. I bought Champions, Enemies 2, Stronghold, Deathstroke...and that was it on my first swing. Enemies 1 had already sold out at the hobby shop. The first five or six books I bought were all illustrated, in their entirety, by Mark Williams.

When he got into Comics in the mid 90's with Ricky Rockett of Poison (I kid you not) in a comic called Sisters of Mercy (I believe). I couldn't believe it. It wasn't until Chamipions II and III, and the organizations books did anyone other than Mark Illustrate anything; and I still regard him as the tone setter for the early works.

His Gargoyle v. Jimmy Duggan bits were awesome.

I miss him.

He gets my nostalgia vote, my other fave artists were Pat Zircher and Glenn Johnson (The Blood & Dr. McQuark, Strike Force, and Coriolis Effect); Storn Cook and Chris Stevens for the modern stuff.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for the art of Jeff Dee, who not only did great stuff for D&D but his stuff with Villains & Vigilantes is some of my favorite work. Not complicated...but my brother bought V&V when I bought Champions and I can still remember how excited we were.

Damn, I feel old allasudden.

I first got introduced to "Champions" when a guy named George came into the Game Shop in Oklahoma City, where I was working, and talked to me for about two hours about a game he was writing, but hadnt published yet.

I remember most clearly that I told him that if a character's lift went up exponentially, and that the damage for strength went up in a linear manner, that it would never work, and that I thought that was a -terrible- idea. It just didnt make sense to me.(At that time, anyway).

Thankfully, he ignored my advice on that matter :D

And yeah, I got all my d6's from raiding all the Parker Brothers games in the house (Yahtzee, Space Bug, and so on); some of those games had wooden playing boards and pieces.

I use those dice to this day :celebrate

I first got introduced to "Champions" when a guy named George came into the Game Shop in Okllahoma City' date=' where I was working, and talked to me for about two hours about a game he was writing, but hadnt published yet.[/quote']

You win. :D

And yeah, I got all my d6's from raiding all the Parker Brothers games in the house (Yahtzee, Space Bug, and so on); some of those games had wooden playing boards and pieces.

I'd already been playing other RPGs before I started with Champions, so I already had a substantial dice collection.

I remember buying 2nd Ed champions (the box with the grey-covered book) and getting 6 black, normal-sized d6's. Several players later bought the boxed set and were displeased to receive much smaller dice in other colours. I do still have those 6 dice - they're great quality.

If you can find the original Champions mini-series from Eclipse Comics (published back in the Eighties), they had character sheets for each of the Champions (aka The Guardians*), one character per issue, along with one villain (Foxbat, DarK Malice, The DEMON Master) and a Combat Room scenario for Champions players to run through.

You may have to hunt a while for it, though--as I said it was published back in the Eighties, and I'm not too sure of its availability. Good Luck.

*Except for Gargoyle--that was Mark Williams' character, and he wanted to use it in is own comic, which apparently never got published. Pity.

If you can find the original Champions mini-series from Eclipse Comics (published back in the Eighties), they had character sheets for each of the Champions (aka The Guardians*), one character per issue, along with one villain (Foxbat, DarK Malice, The DEMON Master) and a Combat Room scenario for Champions players to run through.

You may have to hunt a while for it, though--as I said it was published back in the Eighties, and I'm not too sure of its availability. Good Luck.

*Except for Gargoyle--that was Mark Williams' character, and he wanted to use it in is own comic, which apparently never got published. Pity.

Man, forgot all about those ... I have both the mini and about the first 10 issues of the original on-going. Thanks :)

Back when I started playing Champions' date=' we didn't have laptops and HERO Designer. We made our characters on a legal pad, with a pencil and an eraser... and an abacus.[/i']

I practically wore the buttons of my old four-banger of a calculator designing characters.:)

I think I still remember my first character. It was a Marksman clone named Shooter (or was it Quickshot?) who got his butt handed to him quite regularly.