How do I to build a Lightcycle

Telos

A player of mine wants to be able to create a vehicle out of light that he can create and uncreate akin like the lightcycles from Tron.

How do I build this power?

Can I just use Summon to summon a vehicle?

If I did just have him buy Summon: Vehicle, could he just Summon a new one if the one he had created got destroyed. Also, Summon doesn’t allow you to de-summon, so he’d also have to by a Dispel versus his own summon to turn this power off.

Re: How do I to build a Lightcycle

A player of mine wants to be able to create a vehicle out of light that he can create and uncreate akin like the lightcycles from Tron.

How do I build this power?

If I did just have him buy Summon: Vehicle, could he just Summon a new one if the one he had created got destroyed. Also, Summon doesn’t allow you to de-summon, so he’d also have to by a Dispel versus his own summon to turn this power off.

The questions that must first be answered:

• Does the player want to be constrained by the vehicle rules (Driving skill rolls, DEX and SPD should match that of driver, etc..)?
  • Does the player want the Light Cycle to provide any defenses?
  • What happens if it is destroyed?
  • Can a undamaged replacement be created immediately?
  • Can it go up vertical surfaces?

This is one of those cases where building the construct as a basic movement power [Running or Flight with Usable Only On Surface (-1/4)] with various Limitations like Focus or Physical Manifestation, Required Hands, etc... might be easier than using the vehicle rules.

If you want to go low-confusion on the build, may I suggest merely high RUNNING with many non-combat multiples, NO TURN MODE (so he can turn on a dime) and the PHYSICAL MANIFESTATION limitation, so it can be ruined by attacks.

If you want to go low-confusion on the build' date=' may I suggest merely high RUNNING with many non-combat multiples, NO TURN MODE (so he can turn on a dime) and the PHYSICAL MANIFESTATION limitation, so it can be ruined by attacks.[/quote']

That's how I'd do it too, and running has no turn mode by default, which is nice.

Running or flight as above with a linked force field to represent the extra defense the cycle provides. Probably some sort of limitation so that the only attacks the player can make are move throughs, and that the cycle can only go on smooth surfaces.

Also link in an entangle or forcewall with the Trail advantage from the Ultimate Speedster to represent that line thingy behind them. The entangle would stay up, but could only be used to create barriers (another limitation).

Maybe add some extra PRE or COM too, because it looks so darn cool :)

I like the ideas of using Running and Flight with all the above bells and whistles.

Otherwise, I'm sure there is a simple way to make a Vehicle appear and disappear whenever you want. I'd probably end up giving it Multiform (say Lightcycle to "LC Program 2.0"), and make the digital form a Computer with simple programs (Profession Skill: "LC Program 2.0", +2 to Skill Roll) that resides in the TRONverse (where-ever programs exist... not relevant in this dimension... but attackable with the Transdimensional Advantage; +1/2). If I was ever Extra-Dimensionally Moved to the TRONverse, I would take it with me and have it work the same there (Lightcycle when I want it, de-rezzed latent program when I don't).

...but then I'm the GM in my game. :celebrate

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34586&highlight=multiform+computer

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41727&highlight=multiform+computer

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41817&highlight=multiform+computer

Basically, Steve says if it's cool with the GM... it's cool. As long as it doesn't turn into a Focus someone can use, or something similar.

EDIT: Instead of Mechanics or Electronics, I'd use Computor Programming to fix it if it got trashed.

EDIT: SFX... hard light generator... possibly semi-inherent to the character as having been bought with CPs.

Really, the big question is how Light Cyclish are you going for? Generally I agree with what everyone else has said; you have an OIF "Steering Rod" (IIRC, haven't seen the film in ages), which you then activate to "summon" the vehicle (Extra Running, x8 NCM, so on and so forth). All you're doing is making the character really fast. This could also be used for move throughs/bys and the like, so expect him to spend a LOT of time in this mode.

This is easy with Running or Running + FF. If you've got an Attack Multipower, put it in there since the nature of the cycle seems to keep you from attacking (even move throughs seem to kill the cycle pilot rather than harm what he hits). Otherwise you can put a Lockout Lim on the Running.

Or he could just stop spending END on it.

Of course. Even on a 0 END Summon, you don't need to spend any points on Dispel or anything to banish a Summoning.

I'm not very fond of vehicle combat. Part of it, I will admit, is that I don't know the rules real well. They aren't very intuitive, to my mind.

I'd avoid using it to Summon an actual vehicle. Instead I would use it as the SFX of some movement power.

Well, yes and no. I've often said that my primary b-tch with HERO is really the same complaint I have with ALL systems. Even in a generic frame, it's nigh impossible to accurately model a vehicle. Just can't be done right. Whether there're balance issues, or firepower issues, I'm not sure.

Sure, small arms fire might pierce the hull of an F-22 Lightning, but it isn't bloody likely. Nothing short of a barrage of cannon fire or a direct hit with an AAM, AMRAAM or similar ordinance is going to get the job done. However (without my frontal lobotomy... er... book in front of me) I believe that the defense & BODY seemed... paltry. Not that it isn't a lightweight dogfighter, but it IS a multi-million dollar air combat machine capable of surviving 9+ Gs of turn.

The dogfighting rules themselves really aren't all that BAD. They're not the most elegant, but they actually employ some mechanics I find very intuitive. Besides, I have HRs for how vehicle combat works anyway (piloting rolls feed gunnery rolls and such).

Start with a Heavycycle and dump off everthing that is not needed.

Well, this is why I asked precisely what he's trying to do. a TRON cycle has some bizarre traits; for one, I doubt (seriously doubt) that he's trying to have a string of force walls behind him -- I believe that was an SFX of one specific game. So all he's doing is going really fast.

In the vehicle v focus argument, the bottom line is really very straight forward; "Who takes the damage?" If the vehicle offers him real, HTG protection from damage, then yes, it's a vehicle and can be summoned as such. However, I doubt that's the case. The Light Cycle, as I were to build it, would simply provide Armor to the User. It wouldn't actually take damage itself.

Well, yes and no. I've often said that my primary b-tch with HERO is really the same complaint I have with ALL systems. Even in a generic frame, it's nigh impossible to accurately model a vehicle. Just can't be done right. Whether there're balance issues, or firepower issues, I'm not sure.

Sure, small arms fire might pierce the hull of an F-22 Lightning, but it isn't bloody likely. Nothing short of a barrage of cannon fire or a direct hit with an AAM, AMRAAM or similar ordinance is going to get the job done. However (without my frontal lobotomy... er... book in front of me) I believe that the defense & BODY seemed... paltry. Not that it isn't a lightweight dogfighter, but it IS a multi-million dollar air combat machine capable of surviving 9+ Gs of turn.

The dogfighting rules themselves really aren't all that BAD. They're not the most elegant, but they actually employ some mechanics I find very intuitive. Besides, I have HRs for how vehicle combat works anyway (piloting rolls feed gunnery rolls and such).

First off, non-explosive bullets should be bought with Beam.

Then, to simulate the fact that you can put a small hole (from a Beam-ed attack) though most parts of an airplane and it won't do squat, have those vehicles buy/have this:

Desolidification (not Vs Explosive/AoE attacks), Zero END(1/2), Peristent(1/2), Inherent(?), Activation Roll(12-; -?), Minor Side Effects (Small Hole in Skin of Aircraft; -0)

Many of the bullets pass though the airplane without serious damage. Or, if you preferr, substitute Damage Reduction for the Desolidificaiton. Should give about the same effect.

Things get more complicated (I think) if you use Hit Locations for Vehicles. I don't have my books with me, and am not that familiar with the full complexities of vehicles and damage.