Fake Websites

Dust Raven

I was reading through DC:TAS yesterday and noticed The Answer has a website his Answermen work though: hudsoncity-answers.org. I happen to work for a domain registrar and out of habit I looked it up. I found it was unregistered, so I bought it (after checking with Mr. Long). I've got an okay to own it and use it in a "respectable" manner. I've got some ideas, but that's not important right now.

What I'm wondering about is if anyone else has managed to nab one of the fake website domains presented in a Hero System book, and if so, what have you done with it? Are they any left unclaimed (I might start a collection :sneaky:)?

Re: Fake Websites

I was reading through DC:TAS yesterday and noticed The Answer has a website his Answermen work though: hudsoncity-answers.org. I happen to work for a domain registrar and out of habit I looked it up. I found it was unregistered, so I bought it (after checking with Mr. Long). I've got an okay to own it and use it in a "respectable" manner. I've got some ideas, but that's not important right now.

What I'm wondering about is if anyone else has managed to nab one of the fake website domains presented in a Hero System book, and if so, what have you done with it? Are they any left unclaimed (I might start a collection :sneaky:)?

On an only partially related subject, while I haven't grabbed any Hero related domains, I do own nehwon.com. I've never really used it for anything, but when I found that it was available I couldn't resist. :)

From Champions Universe,I guess SNN dot com would be one. And something like SNN Sidekick dot com. Any of the shows mentioned might be canidates, like Gadgets and Hero Talk.

I think Jimmy Dugan dot com should be a website too. ;)

Super_Talk dot com is specifically mentioned in Champions Universe. As is vu dot net ("Villainy Unbound"). There's also Super Romance dot com.

I dunno if underbars are legal in DNS names. You may have to replace that underbar in Super_Talk with a -.

... I do own nehwon.com...

Whoa... how cool is that? :celebrate I just finished reading the first 5 compilations of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Loved 'um, fully. Wish I'd read that stuff years and years ago... especially considering how much D&D I used to play.

Leiber was a total genius, as far as I'm concerned. His writing reminds me of Shakespeare. Just a pleasure to read.

I thought about grabbing Foxbatallion.com (from Champions Battlegrounds). It *is* vacant last I checked. But I realized I'd never get around to populating it.

But in the adventure, there's a board where they praise foxbat. Could you picture? I think that would be hysterical. maybe someday.

I'm just now learning Sharepoint, so if you want to collaborate, DR, I can make it a sub-sub-project; it'll be good for me to have even more practice administrating web sites, and we can start putting up new characters, contacts and other collaborative works (which is precisely what Sharepoint is for).

Lemme know.

From Champions Universe' date='[/i']I guess SNN dot com would be one. And something like SNN Sidekick dot com. Any of the shows mentioned might be canidates, like Gadgets and Hero Talk.

I think Jimmy Dugan dot com should be a website too. ;)

Super_Talk dot com is specifically mentioned in Champions Universe. As is vu dot net ("Villainy Unbound"). There's also Super Romance dot com.

I dunno if underbars are legal in DNS names. You may have to replace that underbar in Super_Talk with a -.

They aren't. Letters, numbers and the hyphen are the only legal characters. As far as registration goes, they also aren't case sensative. However some of the servers that serve the pages ARE, which has been known to cause problems. :)

Whoa... how cool is that? :celebrate I just finished reading the first 5 compilations of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Loved 'um, fully. Wish I'd read that stuff years and years ago... especially considering how much D&D I used to play.

Leiber was a total genius, as far as I'm concerned. His writing reminds me of Shakespeare. Just a pleasure to read.

To answer the question, extremely cool. :) Which is why I registered it back in 2000 when I noticed it was available. Not that I have done anything with it in the meantime, but keeping it doesn't cost much.

They aren't. Letters' date=' numbers and the hyphen are the only legal characters. As far as registration goes, they also aren't case sensative. However some of the servers that serve the pages ARE, which has been known to cause problems. :)[/quote']

I thought so, but I didn't check my DNS book to make sure.

Jeeze, it's like game designers have never read an RFC or something. Some people's kids now-a-days, I tell ya...

;)

I'm just now learning Sharepoint, so if you want to collaborate, DR, I can make it a sub-sub-project; it'll be good for me to have even more practice administrating web sites, and we can start putting up new characters, contacts and other collaborative works (which is precisely what Sharepoint is for).

Lemme know.

Absolutely! I'm trying to get to swing of web administration as it is. I've more or less got the design thing down, but the closest I've come to managing a sight long term is having my own group on msn. Not exactly professional experience. I have absolutely no experience with Sharepoint. I don't even know what it is exactly, other that it's a Microsoft something-or-other.

But hey, I own foxbattalion.com now! :D

I thought about grabbing Foxbatallion.com (from Champions Battlegrounds). It *is* vacant last I checked. But I realized I'd never get around to populating it.

But in the adventure, there's a board where they praise foxbat. Could you picture? I think that would be hysterical. maybe someday.

Is Foxbatallion that common a misspelling? I actually don't think I've seen that domain mentioned in any book, but I know Foxbat has a fan site from Champions Battlegrounds (was it in that book?). I have Foxbattalion.com, which I think is the correct spelling (I've seen it both ways in print and on the web) but in any case I went with battalion with fox on the front of it.

So where's the board where we Foxbat-fans can praise our fearless leader?

The FoxbatDiscussionBoard! (the exclimation mark is important) is soon in the coming, and will of course be found at foxbattalion.com/foxbatdiscussionboard/