Not Role Playing Disadvantages.

Originally posted by Kintara

Well, I think that if a sword was meant to kill the guilty in this way, it would mean guilty enough to die (perhaps all those guilty of killing or torturing for utterly selfish reasons). So the sword killed a murderer, just the wrong one.

That said, the advantage would be sizable, not immense. After all, who trusts the righteousness of the sword, beyond the hero? What about its fallability? It certainly works in a pinch though.

And then you get the debate, about what exactly does "guilty enough to die" mean?

Take my example and replace the petty thief with another killer. The killer they're actually looking for still gets away...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Kristopher

And then you get the debate, about what exactly does "guilty enough to die" mean?

Take my example and replace the petty thief with another killer. The killer they're actually looking for still gets away...

I completely agree, which makes the power interesting, as it comes down to "according to the sword".

• 8 years later...

Re: Not Role Playing Disadvantages.

A "Code vs Killing" that allows a character to hold a victim in place so that the character's teammate can kill him isn't worth any points at all.

The character can take the Disad "Prone to Moral Weaseling and Lawyer-like Thought Processes," however. Or maybe that's the character.

Completely agree, worth zero points. A disadvantage should only be worth points if it actually is disadvantageous to the character.

I see a lot of characters with "showoff" and "overconfident" disadvantages that should be worth zero unless showing off or being overconfident actually gets you in a pickle.

--Kap

Completely agree' date=' worth zero points. [b']A disadvantage should only be worth points if it actually is disadvantageous to the character.[/b]

I see a lot of characters with "showoff" and "overconfident" disadvantages that should be worth zero unless showing off or being overconfident actually gets you in a pickle.

--Kap

I have seen disads like that played beautifully, to the point where the character suffered a lot of difficulty that was entirely unnecessary. We even had a character in a Battletech campaign with "Gullible" as a disadvantage. Messing with him was a big part of the RP in that campaign. Lots of fun.

Why not? Forum conversations are not bound by the same rules as face-to-face communication. itsalwayssunny found this to be an interesting discussion and added to it. I liked his/her comment and added to that. Isn't the point of archiving this stuff so that those who come later can see what people were talking about years ago? Why limit that to a read-only format?

I've never seen that.

Only mentions if we can't find it. Lots of thread revival

These boards generate a ton of thread necromancy due to the feature at the bottom of this page "Similar Threads". Which only seems capable of finding threads over 6 years of age. Which leads new posters to comment on long dead threads like this one. With the new edition of the rules old discussions like this one are quite annoying as they talk about rules that are fading and definations that have changed in the new edition.

Tasha

These boards generate a ton of thread necromancy due to the feature at the bottom of this page "Similar Threads". Which only seems capable of finding threads over 6 years of age. Which leads new posters to comment on long dead threads like this one. With the new edition of the rules old discussions like this one are quite annoying as they talk about rules that are fading and definations that have changed in the new edition.

Tasha

But in this case, all that's changed is that Disadvantages are called Complications.

Lucius Alexander

Still the same palindromedary

Unluck is a wonderful tool for balancing this. If players don't role play their disadvantages' date=' give them a number of dice of unluck equal to the points they received for the disad, since obviously the disad isn't limiting them. I'd give the guy 4D6 Unluck until he improves his attitude. The Karmic balance must be kept. ;)[/quote']

I love this idea. It makes sense in terms of game balance and points, and makes some in-universe sense as well as "karma." Plus, as a GM I love it when I get to roll for Unluck on a PC, but my players so rarely take it (possibly because they know I love rolling for it!). Repped.

• 2 weeks later...

When a player doesn't play his character's disadvantages, I just give him some new ones. Not like he was using the old ones, anyway. He'll discover a vulnerability that he never knew he had, hit a streak of rotten luck, encounter a new enemy, gain a bad reputation, etc.

When a player doesn't play his character's disadvantages' date=' I just give him some new ones. Not like he was using the old ones, anyway. He'll discover a vulnerability that he never knew he had, hit a streak of rotten luck, encounter a new enemy, gain a bad reputation, etc.[/quote']

I like this :)

THough I'd discuss it with player first.