Why Watched?

Supreme

I brought this up once before, but I didn't get much of a response. How disadvantageous is being 'Watched' as opposed to a full-blown hunted? I mean, really, since they don't do anything but watch you, what's the danger or problem. The only time I ever saw a watched character have a problem with his watchers was when he took "IRS" as a watched and they showed up one day to audit him and search the house. He had to go through some hoops to keep the IRS from discovering his hidden base, and he had to miss a significant encounter to handle this.

Re: Why Watched?

Originally posted by Supreme

I brought this up once before, but I didn't get much of a response. How disadvantageous is being 'Watched' as opposed to a full-blown hunted? I mean, really, since they don't do anything but watch you, what's the danger or problem. The only time I ever saw a watched character have a problem with his watchers was when he took "IRS" as a watched and they showed up one day to audit him and search the house. He had to go through some hoops to keep the IRS from discovering his hidden base, and he had to miss a significant encounter to handle this.

My impression was that watched sort of morphed into a hunted when what they were watching for occured... or at least that's how I always ran it. Also, watched by agency x allowed them to interfere and call in favors, more of a duty really.

Almost every hero in my games is Watched by PATRIOT (my version of PRIMUS). The theory being that any metahuman using their powers publicly is a potential threat. They need to be monitored closely so that if there is a need to take them down, they have as complete a picture of theri powers and abilities as possible.

Secret Magical Societies might be watching anybody with latent or visible magical powers to see if they will become a threat.

In any event, the reason Watched is a disad is because should a time ever come when the Watchers decide to come after you, they are likely to have comprehensive info, which will definately put you at a disadvantage.

Watched/Monitored

Don't take the word "Watched" too literally is my first suggestion. But consider the following examples;

Watched by Police/Parole officer

[person on parole]

(They check up on you, more then likely know

your secret ID, you can't leave the city

without permission)

Watched by Trainer

[you are a ' new mutant' who has someone

MORE powerful disciplining them]

(They control your entire day- when you train,

when you go out on a mission, when you study etc)

Watched by Parents

[ a minor- with curfew,chores,etc]

(otherwise see above; "trainer")

Watched by News Reporter(s)/ Media

[They can make your life heck

(especially if it's a Jimmy Dugan clone).

For instance; they can print things about you

in the newspaper/on radio/t.v. etc.

This can affect the public's view of you]

Watched by (Insert diety's/demon's name)

[ for those who have Godlike powers or are

gods themselves etc]

They have MORE power then YOU and

100% know everything about you. 'Nuf said?

Re: Watched/Monitored

Originally posted by DrSavant

Don't take the word "Watched" too literally is my first suggestion. But consider the following examples;

Watched by Police/Parole officer

[person on parole]

(They check up on you, more then likely know

your secret ID, you can't leave the city

without permission)

Watched by Trainer

[you are a ' new mutant' who has someone

MORE powerful disciplining them]

(They control your entire day- when you train,

when you go out on a mission, when you study etc)

Watched by Parents

[ a minor- with curfew,chores,etc]

(otherwise see above; "trainer")

Watched by News Reporter(s)/ Media

[They can make your life heck

(especially if it's a Jimmy Dugan clone).

For instance; they can print things about you

in the newspaper/on radio/t.v. etc.

This can affect the public's view of you]

Watched by (Insert diety's/demon's name)

[ for those who have Godlike powers or are

gods themselves etc]

They have MORE power then YOU and

100% know everything about you. 'Nuf said?

Most of those would more appropriately be Social Limitations. The last one will work though...

I think you hit on it with the IRS thing. A watcher does things that aren't attacks , per se, that can screw up your life none the less. PRIMUS or the equivalent can show up at your work place, flash the badge, ask alot of questions, and get your boss and co-workers looking at you funny. Or a reporter with a telephoto lens gets a fuzzy picture of you doing you're Superman in the phone booth impression. Essentially a watched is a social threat, rather than a physical one. That's my take on it anyway.

I thought about this a bit when doing my write up of Lei Wulong (a maverick cop from Tekkan). I considered giving him a Social Lim must obey orders, but in the end gave him a 'Watched by UNTIL' instead - the reason? He's not forced to follow orders, and frequently doesn't, but he does have to make sure UNTIL doesn't know - or else they will begin to act against him (take away his license, start disciplinary procedures, be forced to overturn convictions of criminals he captures).

On the other hand, they're not going to jump him in a back alley and try and beat him to death (hunted).

Thats my take, anyway.

Michael

• 6 years later...

1) Mavnn, what you're trying to avoid is a Psychological Limitation, not a Social one. You can disregard a SL, there will just be ramifications. PLs are the ones that are more innate...compulsive. Hard to ignore.

I tend to ignore Hunteds and DNPCs because of the rolls. They're a pain to keep track of, GMs don't remember to do the rolls, and if the rolls are remembered and followed they get more tiresome, intrusive, and annoying than useful as hooks or for fleshing out characters. Anything you can build using a Hunted or a DNPC you can do just as easily with a Psychological or Social Limitation.

For example, Mavnn's UNTIL agent could take Social Limitation: Subject to Orders. Functions exactly the same as the Hunted, but doesn't require a roll. If he chooses to ignore orders, he has to keep it from UNTIL, no change. But the GM doesn't have to roll dice to see whether or not UNTILs internal regulative service has him under investigation...AGAIN. It becomes relevant at the GMs leisure, but is something that still has to be on the PCs mind (and thus makes a more interesting plot hook).

This whole thread is the reason why I reduce the Disadvantage/Complication pool of points and limit the D/C to something inherent in the character (physical). Psych lims, social lims (including Hunted/Watched) are temporary situations at best. I do grant bonus XP if the player plays a Psych Lim to the hilt. I grant a small bonus if the character defeats the Hunted, particularly if it is in a clever or supremely heroic way. With 5E I also tended to up the base points a little to compensate. Since Complications in 6E are already counted against the base points, I just reduce the total points needed.

And that reminds me, whatever happened to Supreme?

Guest steamteck

I'm just the opposite, anything that helps deepen the characters involvement with the game world is good with me. watched is particularly good for characters whose organization/sponsor might not approve of their actions. Even better for suspected criminals who have to dodge the police. The press already mentioned are always fun. watched by veteran hero mentor is good for lots of character also.

To me the difference between Watched and Hunted was that the latter wants to hurt/kill/imprison/enslave you while the former would just get in your way and disrupt your plans. A Watcher isn't out to get rid of a hero, but they might oppose the hero's mission or goals and that is the complication. Alternatively Watchers can be like the press or a fan club that mean no harm, but are always getting in the way because they follow the hero around.

Don't forget that since Watchers gather info on the character, they can cause problems if that info is ever leaked to or stolen by a Hunted or master villain.

In my own games I've sometimes played Watched as having potentially similar but not automatic consequences to Hunted. If Hunted is rolled and comes up there will always be some significant negative consequences for the character. If Watched comes up the character may only be hassled or inconvenienced... unless the character is doing something that the Watcher would have a real problem with, like the police Watching a character when he breaks the law.

Yeah. My games tend to make heavy use of Psychological Limitations. I'm big on the "If you have one rule, that's the one I'm going to try to make you break" thing. That said, more than one, MAYBE two Wanteds doesn't fly with me until later in the campaign. But yeah...no limit on the number of PLs you can take. I eat those things up.

• 2 weeks later...

My impression was that watched sort of morphed into a hunted when what they were watching for occured... or at least that's how I always ran it. Also' date=' watched by agency x allowed them to interfere and call in favors, more of a duty really.[/quote']

This.

We assumed that you must define why they are watching and that the watchers would interfere if you trigger them. Otherwise power levels would be irrelevant (and worth no points). How they interfere should also be defined.

If you are watched by the police, breaking a law will get you arrested. If you are watched by a reporter, exposing your secret identity will cost you that secret. And so forth...

Depending on the nature of the campaign, my first thought was something like Watched by .

They don't want the hero doing something that would give them bad PR. If he misbehaves, they could threaten to pull funding, take back equipment they've provided, file a lawsuit for damaging their public image, put pressure on him through other heroes they sponsor, etc.

Depending on the nature of the campaign, my first thought was something like Watched by .

They don't want the hero doing something that would give them bad PR. If he misbehaves, they could threaten to pull funding, take back equipment they've provided, file a lawsuit for damaging their public image, put pressure on him through other heroes they sponsor, etc.

Basically anyone who has an interest in the (N)PCs activities, whether because they provide resources that the PC can access, or are a sanctioning body who monitor the PCs activities to make sure they fall within accepted guidelines.

A 'simple' example of a Watched might be a Parole Officer for a PC that has a criminal past.

Character is how you act when no one is Watching.

Hunted means someone means you physical harm and is taking steps to do so. Watched means someone thinks something that you might do is going to prove valuable or interesting and is passively gathering that info. If it was called Stalking would it seem like more of a Complication?

I am just THAT good a necromancer...if a little rusty on my Disads rules. Soc Lim does have a roll attached to determine how often it comes up....

Yeah...didn't even notice the date on the thread. Just saw it in my related threads thing on the bottom and...commented.

I get the distinct feeling that those related threads will be the cause of much necromantic energies entering the forums, as even I myself have clicked on them and thought to reply... only to find out someone else had already recroed it XD

Edit: Oh yes, to keep on topic (I'm so bad at that) I generally agree that it's just people gathering info that could cause you troubles in the future, or that somehow the fact that THESE people are watching you could bring attention from someone else.