Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

I have a vague (very vague) recollection of a weapon like that being used in one of Charles Bands movies....You know, the guy who brought us the Trancers franchise and other films like Demonic Toys, Dollman, etc....

Wish I could recall more. :think: Sigh.

-Carl-

With titles like that, perhaps it's better you don't.

I don't think it would work at all. Firstly, they didn't even bother to make it from an actual working gun. Its black because it looks like it was milled from a hunk of plastic. It doesn't have a slide unless you count just the rear block as the slide, the shape is wrong for a desert eagle anyway, and that would require a pretty light round. The slide itself isn't even attached to the slide, it seems like, and as mentioned.. it has nowhere from which to load new ammunition. It might be a ray-gun, I suppose. I love the forward cocking serrations on the possible frame rather than on anything that can move, and the lack of any sights, and the fact that it looks like a vaguely glued on block holds the two upper portions together while being out of line and having a gap.

Having said all that... I DO realize its just a silly movie prop to what looks like a crappy movie with decent film stock or whatever they call the digital version thereof in it... putting it into the likely B or maybe B+ budget range. I'd still personally smack the guy who built that piece of junk if it were my movie, but they were probably concentrating on the plot and acting... :lol

I would LOVE to work as a firearms consultant with movies, but I wouldn't last long... Too many dopeslaps administered to people...

:eg:

With titles like that' date=' perhaps it's better you don't.[/quote']

how wrong can you go with a movie whose main character is iirc named "Jack Deth":p

THough iirc the effects of the pistol used in "Dollman" were... Amazing.

how wrong can you go with a movie whose main character is iirc named "Jack Deth":p

Yep. Tim Thomerson as our hero. Helen Hunt as his companion (http://en.wikipedia.org

/wiki/Trancers )....Apparently, they made SIX movies in the franchise ! (Not including "Evil Bong" where apparently the character also shows up... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Bong ))

THough iirc the effects of the pistol used in "Dollman" were... Amazing.

Still need to see that particular cinematic endeavor...But I believe, from what I have heard, you are correct. :ugly:

-Carl-

I would LOVE to work as a firearms consultant with movies' date=' but I wouldn't last long... Too many dopeslaps administered to people...[/quote']

I think working in hollywood requires that you be idiot-resistant. Its a power, I think, requiring radiation, chemicals, a lightning bolt, and perhaps some type of creature like a turtle. Or, maybe, some kind of ex-super-soldier from somewhere, since they expect you to kill them for looking at you wrong. Knowing about guns is like being a satanist, eating meat makes you evil, and having more than 2% body fat is an unforgivable sin.

I think working in hollywood requires that you be idiot-resistant. Its a power' date=' I think, requiring radiation, chemicals, a lightning bolt, and perhaps some type of creature like a turtle. Or, maybe, some kind of ex-super-soldier from somewhere, since they expect you to kill them for looking at you wrong. Knowing about guns is like being a satanist, eating meat makes you evil, and having more than 2% body fat is an unforgivable sin.[/quote']

Depends on the side of the camera you're working...From my experiences in live show production/theme parks/etc, a fair percentage of the techs look more like the comic book shop guy from The Simpsons or Adam Savage than anything else....Of course, they also don't hang around much with "the talent" after hours either....

Just my $.02US.

-Carl-

Depends on the side of the camera you're working...From my experiences in live show production/theme parks/etc, a fair percentage of the techs look more like the comic book shop guy from The Simpsons or Adam Savage than anything else....Of course, they also don't hang around much with "the talent" after hours either....

Just my $.02US.

Well, I've never worked in hollywood, and I was being very general and regarding that particular segment specifically versus show business as a whole. California + big movie business and all that... =) So, really, its kind of a prejudice on my part garnered from watching movies, occasional interviews, crap on the internet, etc... and, and idiots like DeNiro who like to bash guns during his time off, but make a ton of money wielding them in his movies.

Well' date=' I've never worked in hollywood, and I was being very general and regarding that particular segment specifically versus show business as a whole. California + big movie business and all that... =) So, really, its kind of a prejudice on my part garnered from watching movies, occasional interviews, crap on the internet, etc... and, and idiots like DeNiro who like to bash guns during his time off, but make a ton of money wielding them in his movies.[/quote']

Totally understandable...Part of the whole "tech versus talent" divide. While there are many different sorts of folks in the business, there are any number of "talent types" that are fully worthy of your disdain and who match much of what you perceive them to be. The "behind the scenes folks" tho' tend (on average) to be much more "carnivore and likey the big bang" types (such as the guys you see on Mythbusters and such...)....Of course, the funniest part is when you run into "talent" at the regional level who take on attitude. All the while forgetting (for example) that the theatre they are currently at shares a wall with a community gym where folks are playing volleyball/basketball while they are performing. Keeps things in perspective....

Sorry for the slight rant. Just back from a load-out where I encountered a bit of "talent" attitude....Sigh. I'm better now. My apologies for the off topic....:o

-Carl-

Totally understandable...Part of the whole "tech versus talent" divide. While there are many different sorts of folks in the business' date=' there [i']are[/i] any number of "talent types" that are fully worthy of your disdain and who match much of what you perceive them to be. The "behind the scenes folks" tho' tend (on average) to be much more "carnivore and likey the big bang" types (such as the guys you see on Mythbusters and such...)....Of course, the funniest part is when you run into "talent" at the regional level who take on attitude. All the while forgetting (for example) that the theatre they are currently at shares a wall with a community gym where folks are playing volleyball/basketball while they are performing. Keeps things in perspective....

Sorry for the slight rant. Just back from a load-out where I encountered a bit of "talent" attitude....Sigh. I'm better now. My apologies for the off topic....:o

No biggie. I always find people who are arrogant for no good reason to be even more annoying than the arrogant who at least have a reason. =) Personally, I'd love to work the tech side of that sort of thing. It sounds like fun. I love watching the parts where they build all the stuff that goes into movies. If I had a chance, I'd love to go into prop-work or something of that sort... but then, that would probably require more talent than I likely have.

Speaking of movie firearms....Here's the "graduation gift from Bob" that Maggie (Bridget Fonda) receives in the movie "Point Of No Return" (the Americanized version of the film "Nikita") - a Hämmerli Model 280 semi-auto .22 caliber pistol (Hämmerli is a Swiss manufacturer of firearms which are used in sport shooting and Olympic events). In addition to conversion to blank fire, it was also custom chromed specifically for the production.

Speaking of movie firearms....Here's the "graduation gift from Bob" that Maggie (Bridget Fonda) receives in the movie "Point Of No Return" (the Americanized version of the film "Nikita") - a Hämmerli Model 280 semi-auto .22 caliber pistol (Hämmerli is a Swiss manufacturer of firearms which are used in sport shooting and Olympic events). In addition to conversion to blank fire' date=' it was also custom chromed specifically for the production.[/quote']

Wow, that looked a lot better in the movie.... ugh. I actually own a Hammerli Trailside. Nice pistol, though a bit picky about fouling due to its rather tight chamber. I have to buy nicer ammo or it jams up pretty quick with the usual bucket of rounds kind of stuff. Pretty nice pistol, really. That one looks well used, actually.

Wow' date=' that looked a lot better in the movie.... ugh. I actually own a Hammerli Trailside. Nice pistol, though a bit picky about fouling due to its rather tight chamber. I have to buy nicer ammo or it jams up pretty quick with the usual bucket of rounds kind of stuff. Pretty nice pistol, really. That one looks well used, actually.[/quote']

Yeah...Found the image on a "film props collector / sales" website. Definitely has some wear and tear on it. Of course, there is always the oft quoted rule when building something for live theatre that could apply here too: The audience is only going to see it from "X angle". So if money or time is tight, only paint/build out the side they'll see. So the version seen in the films close shots (while it's still in the presentation case, etc) could have been a different "pretty version" (often called a "hero version"). And this one might have been the one that was used for the stunts.....maybe.

-Carl-

Speaking of movie firearms....Here's the "graduation gift from Bob" that Maggie (Bridget Fonda) receives in the movie "Point Of No Return" (the Americanized version of the film "Nikita") - a Hämmerli Model 280 semi-auto .22 caliber pistol (Hämmerli is a Swiss manufacturer of firearms which are used in sport shooting and Olympic events). In addition to conversion to blank fire' date=' it was also custom chromed specifically for the production.[/quote']

Did they specify whether it was .22 LR? I forget. IIRC it is also available in .32 S&W (long?)? THat always seemed an interesting version, partially because it just plain makes bigger diameter holes, but partially because there used to be a Glaser Safety slug load in the .32 caliber...

Did they specify whether it was .22 LR? I forget. IIRC it is also available in .32 S&W (long?)? THat always seemed an interesting version' date=' partially because it just plain makes bigger diameter holes, but partially because there used to be a Glaser Safety slug load in the .32 caliber...[/quote']

For the weapon pictured, there is notation both on the magazine and on the barrel/frame stating .22 long rifle....Not sure on any other models. :)

-Carl-

• 1 month later...

German graphic designer Pascal Eggert came up with some pretty sick new gun designs:

Found at http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/06/11/futuristic-weapon-design-by-pascal-eggert/

His web site is http://www.pascaleggert.de/index.html

Site under going maintain right now. Think weapons are under 'Game' with links to the different one in the upper left corner. May have changed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36724[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36725[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36726[/ATTACH]

• 1 month later...

take one AR-15.

Remove upper receiver

Replace with this receiver

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=hjceutbab&v=001TEa7HUw8hRE5lz5mULH2w-PiP9QOT9fLq7OamdJ8AEZXOapHhhE-0m8aIMyBGBpxSbUg-FcmwCL3ZHVsfGkOeEPph1eTnUZKogF2IP_keisqNzlducSdmwGopoHKSUAB4tMJxyVE4KBGmRsIO3oJZGtTaqtPPRD5OOBZy21hUsjPDvA7DSs0iPEFFQe_74NXthIwfsdZHzv5rDGxcD88ng%3D%3D

Result:

Serious power for sniping, hunting, what have you. Approximates(or exceeds) a .30-06 with the 150 grain bullet.

take one AR-15.

Remove upper receiver

Replace with this receiver

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=hjceutbab&v=001TEa7HUw8hRE5lz5mULH2w-PiP9QOT9fLq7OamdJ8AEZXOapHhhE-0m8aIMyBGBpxSbUg-FcmwCL3ZHVsfGkOeEPph1eTnUZKogF2IP_keisqNzlducSdmwGopoHKSUAB4tMJxyVE4KBGmRsIO3oJZGtTaqtPPRD5OOBZy21hUsjPDvA7DSs0iPEFFQe_74NXthIwfsdZHzv5rDGxcD88ng%3D%3D

Result:

Serious power for sniping, hunting, what have you. Approximates(or exceeds) a .30-06 with the 150 grain bullet.

I saw reports on that page about power and muzzle velocity comparisons, but didn't see any report about accuracy. Have you used one of these? Do you know how the accuracy is?

I still can't really get in on the whole AR rifle thing. I just don't dig 'em all that much. Dunno why, since there seems to be a lot to recommend them, but between the direct impingement or the high dollar gas piston versions, I just don't get excited about them. Then again, I'm not really big on hanging all sorts of crud on rifles either... still, they do have a certain neat factor, but for some freakin' reason, they don't trip my trigger. That sounds interesting, though. I dunno. I'm more interested in a lever gun in .45-70 or something.