Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

Y'know, everyone says that, but stainless will rust as well. Too many issues with galling and frictional problems for my tastes, and I can't abide an ugly gun and rarely a shiny one. I have an odd taste for polished hardchrome in some pistols, though, but have yet to buy one. Still, that whole idea does make a certain sense, especially the black powder service. =)

There's no reason to go to all that trouble when various surface finishes that are quite durable and decently attractive exist for stainless already. There's what... Ion Bond DLC, Melonite, Hard Hat, Roguard, etc. etc. Still, I find parkerizing and bluing to be durable enough and cheaper, wear nicely, and are easily fixed. I've payed for one pistol with Ion Bond DLC and the jury is still out. We'll see after I shoot it some more.

Y'know, if its just for zombies or whatever, I'd just stick with a .22 LR or .22 Magnum and call it good. Plentiful, easy to shoot, that sort of thing. Really, a .22 LR covers a lot of ground and can be used for a whole lot of stuff if you're smart about it. If its the general post apoc... well... I'm with AmadanNaBriona on overall functional use, minus the stainless, unless perhaps coated with something.

I don't mind parkerizing, but a good job of Blued steel is flat-out BEAUTIFUL! ;) No, It doesn't have anything to do with growing up with a Gunsmith for a Father, why do you ask? :P

I'll be sure to post them here.

Awesome. Thanks!

I don't mind parkerizing' date=' but a good job of Blued steel is flat-out BEAUTIFUL! ;) No, It doesn't have anything to do with growing up with a Gunsmith for a Father, why do you ask? :P[/quote']

Parkerizing is for basic utilitarian use. Bluing is for basic coverage and sheer beauty, like you say. I LOVE the old Colt Royal Blue on a nicely polished piece. The oily S&W Bluing (more blacking, seems to me) is also nice, in its own way. =) I was gonna buy a Colt Python at one point, but I just couldn't see myself marring that blueing considering the cost of the revolver and the fact that they don't do it anymore. It'd be different if they could still do it.

Awesome. Thanks!

Parkerizing is for basic utilitarian use. Bluing is for basic coverage and sheer beauty, like you say. I LOVE the old Colt Royal Blue on a nicely polished piece. The oily S&W Bluing (more blacking, seems to me) is also nice, in its own way. =) I was gonna buy a Colt Python at one point, but I just couldn't see myself marring that blueing considering the cost of the revolver and the fact that they don't do it anymore. It'd be different if they could still do it.

Turnbull Custom guns does some incredible work.

http://www.turnbullcustomguns.com/services.htm

Their custom lever actions with color-casehardened actions... DROOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!

• 1 month later...

No, you are not the only one. The H&K XM8 is another in a long line of polymer ergonomic modular systems that annoy the crap out of me. Some neat stuff going on and its a neat concept, but its ugly and looks stupid. The whole new deal with putting the stock directly behind the action and using all these raised rails/handles and all that seems to be the new wave of weapons these days. Especially funny since the rounds have just gotten smaller and lighter and less recoiling anyway. I don't like that series of rifles or the G36 line much either when they have those giant handle-like things on top of them. Seems like a lot of waste. Everyone seems to be a fan of carrying an extra few pounds in batteries nowadays as well.

Dusterboy, I don't believe so. And yes, it does look like a sci-fi laser rifle.

To my mind, so does this--

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37476[/ATTACH]

And this--

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37477[/ATTACH]

This could be a laser pistol--

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37478[/ATTACH]

So could this--

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37479[/ATTACH]

And this--

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37480[/ATTACH]

Hope that helps.

No' date=' you are not the only one. The H&K XM8 is another in a long line of polymer ergonomic modular systems that annoy the crap out of me. Some neat stuff going on and its a neat concept, but its ugly and looks stupid. The whole new deal with putting the stock directly behind the action and using all these raised rails/handles and all that seems to be the new wave of weapons these days. Especially funny since the rounds have just gotten smaller and lighter and less recoiling anyway. I don't like that series of rifles or the G36 line much either when they have those giant handle-like things on top of them. Seems like a lot of waste. Everyone seems to be a fan of carrying an extra few pounds in batteries nowadays as well.[/quote']

That's just aesthetics. You don't like its looks, I do. Nothing to do about taste!

But the reason the hand grip is there is because soldiers requested it. Carrying the rifle at port arms when you're running fast is a bit impractical, slinging it makes you vulnerable (and is impossible if you're yomping anyway), carrying it by the grip when running or performing other actions is dangerous. In addition, that rail gives you attachment points that unlike MIL-STD-1913 rails, don't not add additional weight, bulk and cost to the base weapon, and can't easily be knocked off line. The extra weight in batteries is again, because optical sights seem to be preferred by combat troops over iron sights - and even with them the XM8s were still 20% lighter than M16s. Last off, the in-line stock is because the optical sights are mounted higher, and because the XM8 was intended to be multiple-configurable including an LMG version - where recoil is going to be an issue.

There is a reason that most ARs are moving to variants on this style - it's because of feedback from the last 30 years of combat.

cheers, Mark

Just a note from an Army Infantry man: we were not allowed ever using the "handle." Drill sgt's through platoon Sgt's would flip if they ever caught you using the one on the top of your M-16/ M-4. Other than that, I think the XM-8 is pretty wicked looking... But apparently it made it barely out of testing, and from what I heard they have now moved beyond it for the SCAR systems. which are being put into SoF right now.

SCAR:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as70-e.htm

Its funny, in that article it says that the Army is still going with the XM-8, I had heard somewhere that they had taken so long developing it that they no longer wanted it, and had moved on to other weapon systems (Favoring towards the SCAR light for Regular Army usage), but my sources my have been off, or just thought that (like the Army has done for the past many years) just adopt to the units whatever the SF were using as time went on... well, that's one thing that you can always say about the Army... it's always changing.

Ah, nice to see practical experience stuff coming into it. Nice. Thanks for the information, MarkDoc and Wolf.

The handle and all that just seems like aesthetics to me, but then again, my preferences fall into the 1911, revolvers, lever-action rifles, and pump shotguns... so I'm kind of a traditionalist anyway, I guess... or at least prefer the aesthetics and handling of basic stuff and have no reason to have a combat oriented firearm outside of simple interest or want. But, since this is Cool Guns for your Games, aesthetics matter to me. I'm a low-tech fan, I suppose, in the end. The new rifles are definitely more high-tech looking... and despite seeing the advantages of polymer and the like, I still prefer steel and wood for the most part... I just think its prettier. I now have two guns with "magic" finishes on them, and I still prefer bluing and the like. =)

Just a note from an Army Infantry man: we were not allowed ever using the "handle." Drill sgt's through platoon Sgt's would flip if they ever caught you using the one on the top of your M-16/ M-4.

Yup - they want you to keep your hand on the grip, so it's ready to use. But when you are under fire, the nearest cover is 20 metres away and you have a case full of ammo for the squad MG in your other hand ... a handle's actually useful.

Other than that, I think the XM-8 is pretty wicked looking... But apparently it made it barely out of testing, and from what I heard they have now moved beyond it for the SCAR systems. which are being put into SoF right now.

SCAR:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as70-e.htm

Its funny, in that article it says that the Army is still going with the XM-8, I had heard somewhere that they had taken so long developing it that they no longer wanted it, and had moved on to other weapon systems (Favoring towards the SCAR light for Regular Army usage), but my sources my have been off, or just thought that (like the Army has done for the past many years) just adopt to the units whatever the SF were using as time went on... well, that's one thing that you can always say about the Army... it's always changing.

I think it might be more accurate to say that it's always changing its mind :)

SOCOM did order a bunch of SCARs for assessment - but then cancelled the order. They are apparently buying cheaper H&K M416's instead. It seems the Chiefs think the cost of replacing all the M16's/M4 in service is too expensive, for anything less than a major improvement in technology. Part of the reason for that might be frantic (and expensive) lobbying by Colt, whose weapons finished last in all three competitions held by the army, with 3x as many malfunctions as the next competitor (and about 6x as many as the XM8), but who want to hold onto their lucrative no-bid contracts.

Cheers, Mark

Ah, nice to see practical experience stuff coming into it. Nice. Thanks for the information, MarkDoc and Wolf.

The handle and all that just seems like aesthetics to me, but then again, my preferences fall into the 1911, revolvers, lever-action rifles, and pump shotguns... so I'm kind of a traditionalist anyway, I guess... or at least prefer the aesthetics and handling of basic stuff and have no reason to have a combat oriented firearm outside of simple interest or want. But, since this is Cool Guns for your Games, aesthetics matter to me. I'm a low-tech fan, I suppose, in the end. The new rifles are definitely more high-tech looking... and despite seeing the advantages of polymer and the like, I still prefer steel and wood for the most part... I just think its prettier. I now have two guns with "magic" finishes on them, and I still prefer bluing and the like. =)

Yup. Guessed as much :)

cheers, Mark