Horizon Academy (Teen Champions) Notes

Hermit

Seeing as Hero Games was nice enough to put this entire forum up for my personal use...

That wasn't their goal?

Well, anyway, I am going to put down some ideas here even as I develop it elsewhere.

Premise:

With Ravenswood several states away, and getting rather crowded, a new school is opening up to train young men and women how to use their ablities with restraint and responsiblity. The city called New Constantinople is bursting at the seams of late with metas, and not all of them are over 18. Realizing this, a former superhero, his wife, and others have arranged for the opening of the Horizon Academy. A place where metateens can excercise their powers openly, and hopefully safely.

Of course, many of these students still live with their mom and dad in or near the city themselves. They walk our malls, they loiter outside our supermarkets, they munch popcorn at our movies, and oggle peers of the opposite sex much to their parents' alarm.

You're one of these teens. All the superheroes of the city seem united by one thing...you're too young for the superhero game. Still, when class is over, and no adult hero is to be found, sometimes you've got to suit up and save the day...

Just be home before 10 or your a$$ is grass.

Re: Horizon Academy (Teen Champions) Notes

While much of the action and adventures will actually take place outside the school (Algebra is not the stuff that stirs excitement in many teen hearts) I've already started on the staff. It's hardly complete.

The Staff so Far:

Dale Peterson Dale Peterson is a silver haired gentleman who posseses a cane, wise eyes, and the respect of every single staff member beyond what merely his title as Principal would indicate.

He is also the former Superhero known as Colossus. Most believe him dead, but in truth, the superhero survived his sucessful attempt to stop a Tidal Wave from hitting the city, but when he discovered he was believed dead, he let his wife convince him it was time to retire. You see, Dale has a heart fissure. If he grows again, there's a very good chance he'll die.

Quote: "Sometimes restraint of, and not the use of power, is what really makes you a hero."

Gerald JonesGerald is the PE teacher for the school, it's his job to make sure the students stay in good physical shape. With cowboy hat and easy grin, Gerald may look like he's stepped off a CMT video, and some students might make fun of the Texan's drawl, but his power is the ablity to duplicate the powers of others and means they won't get away with much whlie he's around.

Most do not know Gerald is one of the Witchborn, those beings granted power and immortality in exchange for protecting the Archmage. It was a charge they failed (And indeed, one of them may have even betrayed the last Archmage), but the gifts remain. Gerald hopes to protect young mystics from those of the Witchborn that would kill them trying to stay free

Quote: "Now, young lady, don't think I don't see what you're trying... I've got the same powers as ya'll."

The Bus Principal Peterson had his doubts about the bus he was being offered, but there was no doubting both its effectiveness, and loyality. While students may become a bit confused as they end up inside it during battelmech mode, it's a safe bet to say that flying is no longer the safest way to travel. See attachment pic below

Quote: "STEP AWAY FROM THE STUDENT OR PREPARE FOR TERMINATION... YOU HAVE TEN SECONDS TO COMPLY! 10.. 9..."

The Bus Principal Peterson had his doubts about the bus he was being offered, but there was no doubting both its effectiveness, and loyality. While students may become a bit confused as they end up inside it during battelmech mode, it's a safe bet to say that flying is no longer the safest way to travel. See attachment pic below

Quote: "STEP AWAY FROM THE STUDENT OR PREPARE FOR TERMINATION... YOU HAVE TEN SECONDS TO COMPLY! 10.. 9..."

This just ran through my head when I read this description.

(cue music)

"Transformers! More than meets the eye.

Transformers! (synth) Robots in disguise."

:)

Gemphyre

If you run this online' date=' count me in if you would![/quote']

I consider that a compliment, but I've got enough players at this time, and am mostly going with those that were in another side campaign. :o Sorry about that.

This is in the CU5th Ed, so I guess if I NEED the numbers I can refer to that, but mostly I make it up as I go along.

In the mean time, I need a few more teacher conccepts if anyone wants to suggest some. ;) I'm thinking at least one ex supervillain now reformed

This is in the CU5th Ed' date=' so I guess if I NEED the numbers I can refer to that, but mostly I make it up as I go along.[/quote']

I'm asking because I keep vacillating about how many young supers there are in Australia. Obviously there are enough for me to be able to run a Teen Champions game if I really wanted too, because I would cook the figures to make that true...

I'm not so sure there's a school though. There might be something more like a Teen Titans style team - or something really lame, like the junior members of the Superfriends. ;)

In the mean time, I need a few more teacher conccepts if anyone wants to suggest some. ;) I'm thinking at least one ex supervillain now reformed

I'll see what if I can come up with anything...

One thing I have toyed with in the past were figures associated with a mutant underground. They weren't teachers, but were people like doctors, lawyers and so on who could be trusted to deal with the special needs of superbeings. Obviously, in some cases, because they were supers themselves!

In particular, I lifted characters from Infinity Inc, especially Dr Beth Chapel, and the second Wildcat.

Some characters like these could be made into teachers, while others could stay as general supporting cast. Either way, it's just a case of picking characters to fill niches, and filing off the serial numbers.

This is in the CU5th Ed, so I guess if I NEED the numbers I can refer to that, but mostly I make it up as I go along.

Dr Phineus Morbius (no, that's not my real name.)

Once upon a time Dr Morbius was a second rate mastervillain wannabe with agents, superpowered peons and a fool proof master plan (with considerable contingency plans should the fools be more worthy than he originally suspected).

All he got out of it was seventeen life sentences, a shattered ego, and battered body.

When you're young, brilliant, and clad in menacing powered armor, you don't really notice or worry about the beatings you take. But when you're in your sixties and not Albert Zerstoiten, the physical punishment and constant defeats take their toll.

Dr. Morbius "retired" to a maximum security prison and spent the better part of the last generation behind bars. He received a Presidential Pardon for his efforts during the COIL incident and moved away from the east coast.

When he was approached by the Horizon Academy regarding a possible teaching post, he was humbled (but maintained his carefully cultivated arrogance) and accepted. Now he's the terror of the hallways, a teacher of mathematics, physics, and other sciences who is smarter than his students and lets them know it.

Dr. Morbius cares deeply for the staff and his students but is catastrophically unable to show it. He maintains the speech patterns, and demonstrative antics of a master villain all the while doing what he can to protect and nurture further generations of the heroes he used to mock and belittle.

GM's Option: He still has some Armor somewhere. He works on it in his spare time, using more advanced technologies. If the situation is dire enough, he'd put it on. Probably wouldn't survive the experience but he'd do it. Or...some student could find it...

NPC students so far:

Ned aka Speedway- The only student to have any superheroing experience, Ned's tactics haven't developed beyond 'run up to bad guy, confuse or hit them, and then outdistance them' but his heart is in the right place. He tends to exagerate his relation with the adult superhero Speedzone, claiming to have been his sidekick. A more accurate descriptor would be foil. He knows he's not supposed to superhero until graduation, but Eager samartin syndrome (Known in some circles as E.S.S.) is hard to shake.

"Of course, I know what I'm doing. I was Speedzone's sidekick."

Miranda aka Secret- a potential archmage, this young lady is just now getting a grip on her magic. Her wealthy family was slaughtered by those who would make sure she never reaches her possible destiny, she was saved by a superheroine who has grown very fond of her.

"I dreamed of you last night, beware the moon eyed man... no, I DON'T know what it means."

Lewis aka Downlow- Lewis , unlike many of the students, comes from the worst and poorest parts of the city. He tries to act like he's real bad news, but the matter of fact is that even in the city slums, his grandmother has kept him clean as a whistle. One of the few minority students at the school, he worries he's going to get a rep back in his neighborhood for selling out or something. He's also rather embitted about his power...shrinking. He considers it the lamest power ever. HIs teachers hope to educate him in new uses for it.

"Man, I'm a black man that SHRINKS? That is so wrong."

Flutter- Not everyone can fit into normal society. Flutter looks to be about 30%, complete with wings, big ears, fangs, and an upturned nose. She's the 'ugly' girl in school, and distrusts everyone but also envies them. Nocturnal, she tries not to fall asleep during the classes, but only truly comes energetic at night.

"Skree!"

I haven't decided on her background. Is she from Beast Mountain? A young girl teleois experimented on? bitten by a radioactive bat? I don't know yet.

• 2 months later...

More Staff

Dane Feystone

A handsome man in his mid thirties, most folks who follow the entertainment industry have a good chance of knowing who Dane Feystone is... a stage magician with quite a following. However, many don't know that his magic is real. Now, he has retired, dedicating himself to the more serious art of education. His covers philosophy and, of course, the occult.

"The world is filled with magic, and so are you, whether you know it or not."

Dane has shaped up and flown right after a life time of using his magic for fame and gain for a very good reason. He's stumbled into a darker scene than he ever expected, and like most mystics, is reluctant to mention it to any non mystic, while at the same time, he's hoping at least one of the students can grow strong enough to stop the same evil... years from now, when the time is right. He just hopes he's not going to lead them to their deaths.

Minerva Weaver

Ms Weaver looks very Greek, her own long hair falling to her waist. Her age is harder to determine. Some may think approaching 40, but blink, and she looks closer to 20. Her eyes are somewhat disturbing, as if she can look right through you. Her clothes seem simple in cut, loose slacks, blouse, and little jewelry save for a bracer with an owl on her left arm. She teaches Self Defense courses, and Home Economics.

Hiding in plain sight, as it were, Minerva Weaver is an Avatar of the Greek Goddess Athena. Long ago, Dale was offered a boon from the goddess during his own adventuring career. When one of the students expressed an interest in martial arts, he realized he had one to ask for after all. Athena was intrigued enough to help out.

Cookie

Cookie (or Cooky) is a huge honking spider like alien. His people are naturally clean, and his bristles allow fine food manipulating skills. He wears a device around a collar that translates his words. Some of the students are considering bringing their own lunches despite the assurances from Mr Peterson of Cooky's cleanliness.

• 4 months later...

(an 'off panel' moment from a recent situation)

Dale Peterson was in his office, his class had gone well, or so he hoped. He was amused at the paper work that was stacked up even for a small school like this. .oO(I wonder if Penny would mind... nope, going to do it myself. Nevermind the meeting we need to have about the results of that 'Dodgeball' game. ) His thoughts sobered at that, but he tried to be optimistic, .oO(Well, at least they got the excess craziness out of their systems with it.)

Then the buzzer at his desk went off. He pressed the com, "Principal Peterson here."

--{Dale! Webbrother! They've gone insane...}--The electronic distortion indicated it was Cooky, their alien chef who needed a translator to speak to humanoids.

He stood up, "Cold snap lose it again?"

--{No, the others... Ayaka, Jethro, Tiffany, Daniel, Ned, Flutter... all of them are going nuts! I think, I think they're going into some sort of spawning frenzy! Is there some sort of cycle for your species you didn't warn me about???}--

"Spawning frenzy? In the cafeteria?" Dale rubbed his forehead,"Cooky, are they hurting each other? And if not, WHAT are they doing?"

--{My food, my precious beautiful food...I prepared that meal as carefully as my mother tended our eggs, and they're... they're flinging it EVERYWHERE, at each other, laughing, throwing... running around...}--

Mr Peterson paused, "They're having a food fight?"

--{I don't know, I still think it might be a spawning frenzy...some of the girls apparel got moist and I felt a rush of pheromones that almost knocked me over...Is that typical?}--

"Often, yes," Dale put his palm in his face, .oO(Wonderful... I'm supposed to give the kids an education, but somehow an impromptu wet tee shirt contest doesn't strike me as helping with state finals. ) Though he knew the material of the uniforms wouldn't really SHOW anything, even wet. Still, some of the more modest girls might be mortified. "Cooky, I'm very sorry. Just hang low and I'll send a teacher to clear things up."

--{Are you SURE your species is sanitary? I'm not sure they should be handling clean food!}--

"Cooky, the food is FOR them...Dale out." Dale sighed, and hit the com to another area, "Dane. Dale here. I need you to head to the cafeteria. There's a food fight going on...harmless I think."

Dane's voice was jovial, --{Why those little scamps.... I remember when I started a food fight in high school...}--

"Let's not encourage it, Dane. Go on in, and if you don't mind. Help them clean up, I don't think they need the hammer down this time. "

--{Which is why you're not sending Gerald. Understood, and happy to do it. THIS I have to see.}--

Dale smiled tiredly, "Thank you, Dane. I get the feeling this is my fault and I forgot something here, so no punishments. Just a few gentle barbs about Cooky's feelings if you would."

--{On my way.}-- And the communication ended.

Dale wondered what he had done wrong here. As principal, he knew where the buck stopped, and while it wasn't a crisis, he was almost sure this was HIS fault somehow...he looked at his scattered notes on the desk. "Darn it, Reg, you told me these notes would be all I need." Reg, a retired principal from public education had been nice enough to make him a list... but the list said nothing about this sort of thing. Then Dale realized his coffee mug was sitting ON the list. Chagrined, the silverhaired man lifted the mug. There, now with a brown ring about it as if highlighting the importance, was a warning from Reg on the list.

It said: ALWAYS have an extra member of the staff present IN the cafeteria every lunch break to supervise.

"Heh, " Dale took a long drink and spoke to himself, "Looks like the kids aren't the only ones learning as we go along. "

Thanks Enforcer' date=' I'll probably rip the good doctor off. I had been thinking of an ex supervillain that would fit the bill :)[/quote']

Note that "back in the day" for this supervillian would likely be the 70's. I recommend his powered armor be bright orange and purple, have platform boots, and be detailed what suspiciously looks to be a v-cut in the front.

Kevin "Big ugly gold medallions aren't just for 80's Rap Stars" Schultz.

Seeing as Hero Games was nice enough to put this entire forum up for my personal use...

That wasn't their goal?

So long as you don't mind people hijacking them from time to time.

You need a bullying alpha male and a queen bee, but with enough smarts the right power set and cruelty to be subtle about it. So no mind control, but maybe something like they're children of wealthy superhero parents, and are good at manipulating situations to their advantage.

So long as you don't mind people hijacking them from time to time.

Well, the campaign is already in motion. Mostly I'm just keeping notes.

You need a bullying alpha male and a queen bee, but with enough smarts the right power set and cruelty to be subtle about it. So no mind control for the Queen Bee, but maybe something like she's the daughter of wealthy superhero parents.

Have both in Cold Snap and Knock Out though neither are descended from superheroes. Though the later is finding the classes so small, she can't form a clique and is having to learn to get along after all. Cold Snap? His dark edge is showing.

Have both in Cold Snap and Knock Out though neither are descended from superheroes. Though the later is finding the classes so small, she can't form a clique and is having to learn to get along after all. Cold Snap? His dark edge is showing.

Well, KO is from wealthy parents though...

And Cold Snap better watch where he's pointing that 'dark edge' or he's going to get his clock cleaned...

I've always liked Teen Champions, probly because my favorite RPG system is still 1987's "Teenagers From Outer Space."

some of the tropes In TFOS include: Superteens attend *regular* schools. Most superpowered teens in TFOS are exchange-student aliens (thus the title), but it can be extended to any world where maybe 1 in 1000 or so are supers. Rather than collect them all in one place, they attend regular high school.

NO killing attacks should ever happen. Ban them from players, convert any premade KAs into equal nd6 attacks. The less the chance of death, the greater the chance that your players will try something stupid (and thus have fun doing it). As teens, try to enforce normal cha maxima on everything except strength. And even STR should probably be limited to probably 30

The weirder you look, the more crowds gather around you. Even if you're just going to the store for milk!

Socially, being Cool is more important than Looks, and Looks are more important than Brains. A good put down can hurt more than a power blast, and being embarrassed is worst of all. -- PRE attacks can optionally do stun.

Before parents accepted that superpowered teens would be attending schools with their kids, the government created the (in TFOS) Alien Control Squads. Federal agents in black suits and shades with way too much firepower and only bare competence ("We had to nuke the school to save it"). you could rename them the "Federal Anti-Super Truancy Officer Corps" -- they should worry your players in large groups. but more from their potential collateral damage than heavy damage to your PCs (a sizable group can still capture a lone teen and return him to school...but they'll destroy half the block doing it).

The Coach: The P.E. Teacher is an ex-Marine drill instructor who quit the Marine Corps because they weren't tough enough. He's here to make 'men' out of you 'creampuffs' (even if you're female).

Miss Maray. Art Teacher. Highly competent teacher, but COM 25. Art is a very popular class. Her competence is not the reason.

Mrs. Tremaine. Dietician. Biddy-eyed cafeteria lady. Responded to the needs of dozens of alien physiologies in a unique manner: Keep serving the same slop they always have -- it wasn't really meant for Human consumption, anyway.

The Vice Principal He's about 6-foot-6, 325 pounds and the only fat in there is the hot dog he had for lunch. flattop so perfect you could use it for a plumb line. Takes no nonsense from anyone. And wants to speak to you about your grade point average. If you don't mind, of course. Oversees most detentions (and no, you won't get past him)

The Jocks: a roving gang of troublemakers. On the Football/Basketball/Baseball/etc team. has some member in there that can annoy each PC but cannot be taken on physically -- they're just better at whatever physical activity. Instead, they have to be outwitted.

The Rival School -- The big Game is a good plot. The whole team fell sick and now the PCs have been pressed into service to replace them. Best with a game where the PCs powers don't break the game.. No football for teleporters, for instance. If this means the Big Game is golf, don't sweat it.

Keep action moving (this is good for all RPGS) if the Players are getting bored or arguing with themselves what to do next, throw a monster at them!

I've always liked Teen Champions' date=' probly because my favorite RPG system is still 1987's "Teenagers From Outer Space."[/quote']

Teen Champions as a type of TFOS campaign. Interesting.

I might consider changing the federal truancy agents to something like: "Federal Anti-Super Control and Interdiction Special Team" aka FASCIST. :D

The Principal as a retired superhuman or maybe just a total mystery can be fun. In TFOS, going to the Principal's office was supposed to be scary, and students didn't ever quite remember what he/she looked like due to the sheer trauma of visiting the Principal.

In the mean time, I need a few more teacher concepts if anyone wants to suggest some. ;) I'm thinking at least one ex supervillain now reformed

If you wouldn't mind, I'd suggest using very similar (and I would consider it an honour if you used him) to the current character I'm playing in Spidy88's game. He used to be an assassin controlled to do the dirty work for a multinational corporation, and also was a member of a criminal organization known as Cypher. After the leader set a trap for him (long story, I'll fill you in if interested), the character was found barely alive by a powerful telepath who had come across him before. She replaced his brainwashing with a few limitation on how to use his powers, and is placed with a reputatable superhero, eventually choosing to do the right thing without being compelled to do so.

Personality: Very direct and inconsiderate speaker, willing to do what needs to be done since he still has the mentality that his job is doing the dirty work. Very debative, and enjoys the occasional prank. Has a lot of street smarts (on paper anyways =/ ). Very protective of people's right to choose (since he had his taken away for so long).

Powers: quick martial artist, telekinetic abilities (including a TK Shunt that is high speed movement acting like teleportation and a TK spatial awareness), regeneration, feint death abilities, and proficient with Indian (Asia) fighting styles and weaponry (Katars, Patas mostly), Mind Sense (targeting as well). Can also piss off anyone or anything.

Classes: Would teach mostly History, seeing he's traveled a lot of Europe and Asia. Other appropriate classes would be shop class, computer class (he would be a crappy instructor... but what school doesn't have a badly placed teacher?), and some European language class.

If you think it's a good idea, let me know and I can do the character sheet for you.

Hmm... Has anybody given thought to(dun,dun,DUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!!!) the PTA?

The guidance counselor: Thank you for coming in, Mrs. Greased Lighting.

Mrs. Greased Lighting: Certainly, Ms. Oak, is there a problem?

The guidance counselor: Well, it's about your son, Streak. He has apparently taken his Hero name to heart and has started streaking up and down the hallways, ending up with doing Pete Rose slides into the Girl's Locker Room.

Mrs. Greased Lighting: ....CLARENCE BELEUCHTUNG FRANCIS HENDRICKS, GET YOUR BUTT IN HERE NOW!!!

Oh, the drama...