Traveller Hero... an update from the authors

shadowcat1313

Re: Traveller Hero... an update from the authors

looks like they have picked up an OGL/D20 license, T20 is/was produced by QLI. not sure if this is a variation on a theme or what.

Nope, my friend.

It will be sort of a Classic Traveller which will also serve as the basic rules for MWM's Traveller 5. With T5 being the advanced rules, so to speak.

where are you finding questions about Traveller Hero on the Mongoose forums?

No questions answered so far. But I would look at their "General Discussion" subforum.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

[An announcement is forthcoming on our front page, but wanted to let you all know]

I just wanted to let you all know that we have been told that our current license for Traveller (which includes a provision to allow for Traveller Hero) is still good for another 15 months.

The core is written and edited and we are hoping to have all the artwork turned in to us by the end of this coming week. The layout will be finalized and sent to Steve for his approval. I am hopeful, depending upon Steve's busy schedule, that it can be released late this month or very early next month.

William

ComStar

My money's burning a hole in my pocket.... I'll be buying as soon as it's available in the Store.

I haven't ever played Star Hero, but Traveller was one of the first games I got into. It'll be great to see all the hard work you've put in.

:thumbup:

things will be happening very soon... while the 15 month thing is understandable from a business point of view. it may not be the end of things.

Dont even get me started on the whole press release to begin with...

the whole line about "No new traveller content in 10 years" was somewhere beyond over the top, and just a little wrong. the whole press release has caused a lot of confusion. Ken Burnside from Ad Astra and Dom Mooney from BITS have talked on the Ad Astra forumns about it. it seems to me at least that Mongoose in that press release has ignored the work of Com-Star, Avenger, BITS, Steve Jackson Games, and Quicklink Interactive.

if somebody at mongoose is reading this or somebody wants to forward this to them, be my guest, my attempt at contacting somebody was pretty much useless, the reply from Matthew Sprange just asked why I didnt like OGL.

Dont even get me started on the whole press release to begin with...

the whole line about "No new traveller content in 10 years" was somewhere beyond over the top, and just a little wrong. the whole press release has caused a lot of confusion. Ken Burnside from Ad Astra and Dom Mooney from BITS have talked on the Ad Astra forumns about it. it seems to me at least that Mongoose in that press release has ignored the work of Com-Star, Avenger, BITS, Steve Jackson Games, and Quicklink Interactive.

Yeah, that confused me big time as well. Perhaps its possible they weren't aware of all of the above publishers' contributions to Traveller... though it seems to me that missing the whole GURPS Traveller line would be a real stretch for anyone with even the slightest familiarity with Traveller.

I have a really had time believing in Mongoose not being aware of the other companies contributions, but thats neither here nor there I guess. to me it seems like they they were trying to say that "Were... here were taking over, and nothing that has gone before counts anymore" one good thing is that it wont affect the GURPS or Ad Astra licenses, the traveller warship minatures look great.

one thing that will be a big plus, Alathan has created some great deck plans, there of a style I dont remember seeing used for traveller before, with the 3 external view style you see in aircraft recognition books, along with the interior layout, I think we will definately see more of his work in the future.

one thing that will be a big plus' date=' Alathan has created some great deck plans, there of a style I dont remember seeing used for traveller before, with the 3 external view style you see in aircraft recognition books, along with the interior layout, I think we will definately see more of his work in the future.[/quote']

Starship spotting? Are there large numbers of folks with PRIS Binoculars, trying to "capture" exotic designs and livery for their notebook? And do some of them suspect that there's actually a difference between some of the Imperiallines ships?

Hmmm.

JoeG

Book 1 is complete and set to go for final approval along with book 2 this coming week!!!!

I will also point folks to the following announcement on the Com-Star site yesterday re: Traveller Hero

http://www.comstar-games.com/

Yikes! :eek: I hope there's still time for me to get the Subsidized Merchant deckplans in by Monday! They're about 2/3 done at the moment, but it's 1:20 am and sleep is calling me... mmm sleep.... zzzzz...

I just read the 'minimal graphics' comment on the web page and totally agree with it. Traveller has always been a minimal graphics rulebook kind of game; have a look at all the pictures in the original LBB:)

More games should be minimal graphics books.

I judge a book by its cover. I know you shouldn't but I do; not so much games books of existing lines were I know what to expect but new stuff. Changeling looks lovely, so does Monty Cooks World of Darkness, the D&D books, the new GURPS 4 edition, they are all very nice. A quick flick through them and I was sold.

But...

pdfs. I can't judge them by their cover, nor their graphics which I will only discover when I actually purchase it.

The odd picture is fine, but on screen all I do is rapidly skim past it to the text. As far as I can see, all fancy illustrations do is bump up the cost to the publisher. A minimal graphics pdf would be cheaper (or more profitable). Then, if the decision is made to go to print, graphics could then be commissioned.

I would say that in the real world beautifully illustrated books are a must where they have to compete with similar products vying for our attention. Pdfs, are different, it's the content that will bring people back not fancy pictures.

Anyway, where is this minimal graphics Traveller thingy. It's been at least three days since anybody mentioned it! I need something to distract me from tinkering with airsoft guns.

Okay, while the 'official announcement' will be over the weekend, I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that both Traveller Hero core books will be available probably over the weekend! :)

We will be running a special promotional sale, so keep an eye on the website for the announcement...:)

William