Traveller Hero... an update from the authors

shadowcat1313

Re: Traveller Hero... an update from the authors

couple of options

talked to Eodin, one thing is to up the NCM on the flight to 16,000

Okay, using Travellers baseline of 100 planetary diameters takes 5

hours at 1G, we need either a Noncombat Multiplier of x16,000 or a

Cumulative Flight multiplier of x16,000.

just going with the NCM makes more sense to me

thoughts?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good. While I probably won't play the Hero version, I have enjoyed reading the other Com*Star Traveller products.

yep, at 500,000 displacement tons, its not a small ship... then theres the 300 heavy fighters

I will talk to Marc Miller, and see if we can use one of the Tigress images in the book. it looks like a giant pac-man.

Yeah, it is a big beastie. I recently picked up the re-prints of the CT Supplement books, one of which had it. Impressive ship. For people who have not seen it, it is the big flying eyeball of doom seen here.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/traveller/starships/img/cover_lg.jpg

heres the corrected version of the 6G Manuever drive

6G Maneuver Drive: (Total: 281 Active Cost, 94 Real Cost) Flight 60", Position Shift, x16,384 Noncombat (190 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Realistic END Cost: Requires STR/5 Additional END per phase (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Real Equipment (-1/4) (uses Personal END) (Real Cost: 58) plus +17 DEX (51 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Real Equipment (-1/2) (Real Cost: 20) plus +4 SPD (40 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Real Equipment (-1/2) (Real Cost: 16)

heres the corrected version of the 6G Manuever drive

6G Maneuver Drive: (Total: 281 Active Cost, 94 Real Cost) Flight 60", Position Shift, x16,384 Noncombat (190 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Realistic END Cost: Requires STR/5 Additional END per phase (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Real Equipment (-1/4) (uses Personal END) (Real Cost: 58) plus +17 DEX (51 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Real Equipment (-1/2) (Real Cost: 20) plus +4 SPD (40 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Real Equipment (-1/2) (Real Cost: 16)

Or, you could just use the optional rule for the Cumulative Flight Advantage (SH 187). As you've got it written now, the maximum velocity of a ship would be a little bit less than a kilometer/second. This would mean that the Traveller travel time formulas wouldn't work for any trip longer than about 9 hours (maximum velocity = 16384 x 60m/s).

By the way, what's the "Position Shift" for? The only thing I could think of is a "batteries bearing" issue.

JoeG

the cumulative option works the same way, however, if your actually having to pay character points, the +3.5 advantage vs a flat 65 points is a huge difference costwise

another thought I had was to build manuever drives the way jet engines are built in TUV, as a MP with slots for standard and megascale movement.

the cumulative option works the same way, however, if your actually having to pay character points, the +3.5 advantage vs a flat 65 points is a huge difference costwise

another thought I had was to build manuever drives the way jet engines are built in TUV, as a MP with slots for standard and megascale movement.

As stated in the optional rules on SH 187, I'd probably just assume that a flat Cumulative value was good enough, and not bother with the chart. Just set the maximum velocity to some large number (I seem to remember that Thrusters maxed out at somewhere around 1/3 lightspeed in one of the supplements, but I could be wrong). The real issue is how much power plant fuel you have (assuming you aren't using HEPlar), and that's usually at least a month for Book 5 designs.

JoeG

If you wanted to use the optional "vehicles move on every segment" rule this ship would move 30" per segment vice 60" per phase.

It could only accelerate/decelerate or change heading/facing every other phase, and thats assuming you have a pilot that can act at SPD 6 while piloting (generally a very rare thing in a heroic level game). Usualy due to heroic level contraints the best you would see is the vehicle only being able to "act" at SPD 3 or 4, and on the remaining segments it moves in a direct line.

Just discovered the 14 page index and intro http://www.freelancetraveller.com/infocenter/software/Trav4Hero_Intro.pdf

It looks awesomely good.

I am sure that the rest of the eager fans will concur that more frequent beating and mild electric shocks to the editors would speed them on. And do they really need to sleep?

I am sure that the rest of the eager fans will concur that more frequent beating and mild electric shocks to the editors would speed them on. And do they really need to sleep?

Just ask anyone who's been to a gaming convention, sleep is for the weak. ;)

I could get behind the idea of more frequent beatings and electric shocks to the editors to get them moving faster. :D

please note, Eodin and I arent involved directly in the editing on this, we just trust its in good hands and it will be ready ASAP, 300+ pages probably isnt something you can edit overnight. we await it as anxiously as everybody else.

and theres lots more to come...

Just ask anyone who's been to a gaming convention, sleep is for the weak. ;)

I could get behind the idea of more frequent beatings and electric shocks to the editors to get them moving faster. :D

Try that on Steve and something will explode.

I was never a great fan of the vehicles as a character concept. I also never really have the time to creat whole cloth a new system. I am really looking forward to seeing it. While I'm not a traveler universe gamer, I will probably adapt this to my game universe.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for those waiting for TravellerHERO...

Since the book is so big, we are considering splitting it into 3 smaller books (like the little black books), smaller being relative at 100 - 150 pages in each book. Book 1 would be character creation stuff, Book 2 would be starship creation and starships, Book3 would be gadgets and Imperial information. The disadvantage is that it's 3 separate books; the advantage is you could buy only the pieces that you were interested in.

I would like to get people's thoughts on this, as one factor in the end decision.

Thoughts?

Since the book is so big, we are considering splitting it into 3 smaller books (like the little black books), smaller being relative at 100 - 150 pages in each book. Book 1 would be character creation stuff, Book 2 would be starship creation and starships, Book3 would be gadgets and Imperial information. The disadvantage is that it's 3 separate books; the advantage is you could buy only the pieces that you were interested in.

I would like to get people's thoughts on this, as one factor in the end decision.

Thoughts?

It wouldn't be a problem for me. Then again, I started with the LBBs. :)

JoeG

Thoughts?

Since I will probably buy them all anyway, I would prefer one book. But then it doesn't matter to me. Like Ternaugh I have the LBB's :D

Teh. I loathe d20's requirement to purchase three texts to play one game. If I'm going to play and/or use Traveler,, then by rule I shouldn't have to order three separate books, I should be able to play the game with one text.

That's me. I'll buy it irregardless, but I'd be much happier having it in one book. And happier still if it was in Hardback. Besides, I can likely use Traveler to update and polish my ship designs for HERO: Combat Evolved.

Starship stats are fun and all, but I'm a groundpounder.

So... Stats for Imperial military gear? (Because, for the love of God, the GURPS Traveller stats for battle dress and grav tanks are unholy... TravellerHERO ought to be able to match it at the minimum...)