Susano's Guide to Adapting Fictional Characters to HERO

Susano

Re: Susano's Guide to Adapting Fictional Characters to HERO

Having actually used your site for the basis of my PC (which answers the rather odd question, what if James Bond was in a four-color, X-Men style comic book?), I cannot but enjoy your article.

Now that you mention it, tho, I'll have to raise my PRE and COM a bit higher...(I've already got a Seduction of 18-!) And my character thinks fast on his feet- a spot of higher INT may also be in order...

Boy, a lot to think about. Wish I could give rep, but I'm still a newb here.

Not a problem.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working on it.

I need to export the text to board-friendly HTML, so people can see the edits and additions, then post the final copy to my website, and add a link so you can get the PDF.

Then I start on my 8-steps to building a character article.

• 4 weeks later...

Great article, and a must read.

You should consider asking Steve about including some version of this in the Character Creation Handbook, if there's still time.

Ahh... I don't think he'd go for it.

Great work! The only thing I'd suggest is possibly including more explicit comments about trying to avoid fanboyism when doing a conversion or a write up, vastly over stating a characters that you really like in terms of ability or trying to capture the narrative feel of them "never" failing in their mechanics. That's one of the biggest issues I've seen with Hero conversions.

Great work! The only thing I'd suggest is possibly including more explicit comments about trying to avoid fanboyism when doing a conversion or a write up' date=' vastly over stating a characters that you really like in terms of ability or trying to capture the narrative feel of them "never" failing in their mechanics. That's one of the biggest issues I've seen with Hero conversions.[/quote']

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess that since my initial conversions were an attempt to not do this, I sort of figured anyone reading the guide would do so as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a golden rule for conversions: always award the least amount of poitns or characteristic needed to do what they are shown doing. I think it's kind of implicit in the guide, but your viewpoint might be slightly different. Very nice work, btw.

Great work! The only thing I'd suggest is possibly including more explicit comments about trying to avoid fanboyism when doing a conversion or a write up' date=' vastly over stating a characters that you really like in terms of ability or trying to capture the narrative feel of them "never" failing in their mechanics. That's one of the biggest issues I've seen with Hero conversions.[/quote']

I agree, because I think that a few of my friends go overboard sometimes with translations in that same way.

In any case, I have found myself making new characters in almost the reverse way of this method, in that I create them as if they were in the medium/genre being simulated. It's fun.

I liked the idea of the VPP to simulate true masters of The Force for Vader and' date=' I'd guess Yoda. Lesser users would have MPs, I suppose?[/quote']

I wouldn't do it that way. Jedi are too varied. Vader never uses mind trick or Sith lightning. Yoda, at 900, comes close to having every Force power I've ever heard of, but even he doesn't have absolutely every ability.

• 2 months later...