Traveller Hero Core Books Now Available!

Polaris

Hi all,

The thread title says it all....

http://www.comstar-games.com

In celebration of the release of the core books, we are running a 20% off sale on all of our pdfs this week only! The books have gone to the printer, and we are going to be taking orders for the printed books now as well (so people that want to buy the 'bundle' can do so). The print books will ship as soon as we get them...:)

William

Re: Traveller Hero Core Books Now Available!

. . . Sweet . . . !

Do you know if Alliance Games will distribute Traveller Hero?

We gave this a lot of thought when we were trying to determine how best to get as many people as possible to get into Star Hero and the Traveller universe.

Our basic plan for Traveller Hero from a business perspective is three fold:

1. Provide gamers with a fun and entertaining game (obviously)

2. Expand the market for Star Hero and Traveller: Many gamers don't recognize the Hero System as a very good science fiction game. I believe that Traveller fans are natural fits with the Hero System, but I have been surprised at how much misunderstanding there is about the Hero System within the Traveller community. My hope is that Traveller Hero will expand the market for Star Hero, just as it introduces more Hero gamers to Traveller. To accomplish this, we are planning on spending profits from this game on marketing Traveller Hero in hopes that it will expand the market.

3. Impress the folks at Hero Games enough to expand our license to a broader science fiction license, which will enable us to produce alien books, etc. This is where we are hoping to capitalize on the expanding market.

To best accomplish these goals, we had three options:

1. Distribution at the low price we wanted to charge: Most of our print books are sold thru both the game and book trade distribution systems. As a small company, we have to use a consolidator in order to get carried by game distributors (such as Alliance). After the distributor cut and our consolidator's cut, we get 34% of MSRP to pay for printing, all the shipping, licenses, etc. At the price we want to sell it at we would only get 14 cents per copy sold (no exaggeration) after printing, shipping, licensors and our creative partners were paid. If we sold 100 copies, we would have 14 dollars to put into marketing. The book trade, on the other hand (distributors like Ingram, Baker & Taylor, etc) allow us to 'short discount' the book (which means we can discount it by only 35%), and will get it picked up by the online etailers (such as Amazon, BN.com, etc). This will allow people to order the books thru alternate venues, and not prevent us from making anything on them.

2. Distribution at a higher price: We could increase the price of the books in order to make game distribution of this book viable. We decided that the price we would have to raise it to in order to be viable would be too high to compete in the market.

3. Distribution thru our online store, book trade, possibly direct to retailers: We decided that this was the best bet, so that we could keep the price of the book much lower.

Please understand that we *do* support FLGSs--we intentionally don't allow Amazon a discount that would enable them to undercut the MSRP, and look for ways to encourage people to support their FLGS. However, on this product, we just couldn't keep the price down and distribute thru the game trade distribution system.

Whew... sorry for writing so much to a fairly simple question. I guess I could have accomplished all that by saying: "No"

William

Golden Age Starships 1 Fast Courier HERO Edition $3.20 USD

Golden Age Starships 2 SW Patrol Cruiser Hero Edition $3.20 USD

Traveller Hero Book One:Adventurers in Charted Space $9.59 USD

* Bundle Item 1 - Bundle Item 1 Zip File

* Bundle Item 2 - Bundle Item 2 Zip File

* Bundle Item 3 - Bundle Item 3 Zip File

Traveller Hero Book Two: Adventure in Charted Space $9.59 USD

I got them... BOOYAH!!!

QM

Maybe someone can answer this- it says that purchasing the bundle (hard copy and pdf) is available, but I don't see an option to purchase a bundle like that. I only see options to buy the pdf. Any help? A link or something? I wants it. I wants it bad...

Golden Age Starships 1 Fast Courier HERO Edition $3.20 USD

Golden Age Starships 2 SW Patrol Cruiser Hero Edition $3.20 USD

Traveller Hero Book One:Adventurers in Charted Space $9.59 USD

Traveller Hero Book Two: Adventure in Charted Space $9.59 USD

I got them... BOOYAH!!!

QM

Looking forward to hear what you think :)

(snipped bits)

Whew... sorry for writing so much to a fairly simple question. I guess I could have accomplished all that by saying: "No"

William

The title of your post should be "Why distributors hate the customer and are bad for the industry."

They no longer do what they set out to do. sadly.

Maybe someone can answer this- it says that purchasing the bundle (hard copy and pdf) is available' date=' but I don't see an option to purchase a bundle like that. I only see options to buy the pdf. Any help? A link or something? I wants it. I wants it bad...[/quote']

The hard copy and full bundles should be up at any time. The webmaster thought that we were waiting until the books had been printed and were in our hands before we sold them (which is what we normally do).

Sorry about the wait...

William

Why are the PDFs missing all the art? The blank spaces are there, so it seems like there would be pictures in the print edition. If there aren't many pictures in the print, that's fine, just due to the spaces it seems like they are missing.

As a side note I started this thread on RPG net, mentioning that I was going to be buying Traveller HERO, sort of tying into the interest in Traveller from the Mongoose announcement. It looks like my "pimping" did a little bit, and brought attention to the product (and because I forgot, someone else posted the link) which may have generated a couple of sales.

Thought you guys would like to know there is a little discussion of it over on RPGnet, and because I started the thread about me buying it, it stays in the RPG section rather than down in the announcements. :)

Why are the PDFs missing all the art? The blank spaces are there' date=' so it seems like there would be pictures in the print edition. If there aren't many pictures in the print, that's fine, just due to the spaces it seems like they are missing.[/quote']

The pdfs and books are, by design, graphics-lite. The gaps are not really for graphics, it's just that I hate fishing through threaded columns, and prefer new topics at the top of each column when feasible.

You coud setup a paypal account. Once it is verified by the company, they offer a free Visa ATM card to access the funds. It works good for online purchases.

You might also check out greendot, they offer a prepadi card option that I think you can get online. https://www.greendotonline.com/contents/login.aspx

I've just bought my copies of the PDFs. Now I need to find the time to sit down and immerse myself in the goodness.

Cue memories of the little black books...

This is going to be fun.

Thanks everyone who has written this up. :thumbup:

Sadly I'm about to drain my gaming money on PAH' date=' UEP and Hardcover FH. I'll be picking these up in September though. Traveller Hero has been on my radar since it was announced.[/quote']

I've still got leftover store credit with an online vendor from when I sold my D&D collection over a year ago. It's just enough to cover Gestalt, UEP and PAH.

So my actual cash is going to the FH Hardcover and Traveller HERO. :)

Just bought about 50 bucks worth, including discount. My preliminary assessement is very good. The "feel" of Traveller comes through, the old days of going through the books and everything. Good times, good times...

I printed out a few test pages as a booklet, you know that cool Old-style, but the print was a bit too small. Although I have seen a lot worse when reduced that way. Pity really, not that I am complaining, but that would have been a very cool way to go for the old foggies like me who remember the original.

Polaris, you have a PM...