Heroes

Susano

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Heroes

Tim Kring does not know comics.

For example, he has a real fan of comics reign in his outlandish ideas. He had an idea for a guy with magnetism show up and the other guy was "you can't do that, that is Magneto".

OTOH he was involved in Smallville so he aint all bad.

For example, he has a real fan of comics reign in his outlandish ideas. He had an idea for a guy with magnetism show up and the other guy was "you can't do that, that is Magneto".

Wait -- I'm not a fan of Heroes, but are you actually saying that because someone with magnetism powers already exists in comics, that means that Mister Kring can't make up someone for his show with the same sort of powers?

If so, then wouldn't he have to get rid of, well, everyone with powers currently on the show?

Heroes . . .

Started out loving, ended up hating it . . .

And OY! was it boring. Like, NOTHING EVER HAPPENED!!

The last episode seemed like it was filmed on a sound stage and the ending just left me cold. I mean, nothing was solved and SYLAR GOT AWAY - AAAARRRRGGGHHH! If I'd been Hiro, I'd've followed up the run-through with a spinning behead stroke. I'd've probably brought a white phos grenade along - for good measure.

I mean, I was virtually banging my head against the ground pleading for someone -anyone - to JUST KILL THIS GUY! And that was just over halfway through the series. I was imagining the kill shot with someone armed with an AW Super Magnum set up in a sniper's nest 1000 yards away.

I know how boring it is when the good guys win alla time, but it's even more frustrating when the bad guy wins alla time - which he did.

I'd've done more - a lot more - with Richard Roundtree's character, too. I mean here's the guy who played Shaft - and you've got him confined to a wheelchair. Naaah - thehellwiththat.

I'd've had Hiro take out Sylar for good and had the Petrelli brothers both vapourised in the nuclear explosion - the FX of which were a joke. A bad one.

I've seen spoilers for Season Two and it's going to suck like a black hole. There's not even a convincing bad guy. One looks like the human equiv of Homer Simpson, the other looks like a harried overworked office jockey. Sod that.

Thank God for Indy4, Iron Man, the Dark Knight and the Hulk.

Laters peeps.

I know I must be sounding like a fanboy at this point but I do wish people would stop judging Heroes as if it were comic television show. It has roots in superhero comics (and I think it offers up nods to them and doesn't smear them like so many "modern" supers stories do) but it's doesn't seem to be written as a superhero story but a people with powers story. The two styles are related but not quite the same thing.

I've seen spoilers for Season Two and it's going to suck like a black hole. There's not even a convincing bad guy. One looks like the human equiv of Homer Simpson' date=' the other looks like a harried overworked office jockey. Sod that.[/quote']Aside from a very lackluster rant, I wanted to inform you that Season Two is over and Season Three is coming up next.

Except for the last episode, I thought Season One of Heroes was superb. Season Two was disappointing and I hope it doesn't follow the Lost trend, which happens to be a show I originally enjoyed and each season became worse. I stopped watching Lost about 3-4 weeks ago. If they kill off Juliette, I might start watching it again.

Aside from a very lackluster rant' date=' I wanted to inform you that Season Two is over and Season Three is coming up next.[/quote']

I'm just guessing, but since DusterBoy is from England, that may be why he hasn't seen Season Two.

I thought a lot of the problem with Season Two was due to the writer's strike, forcing them to change stuff at the last minute.

I know I must be sounding like a fanboy at this point but I do wish people would stop judging Heroes as if it were comic television show. It has roots in superhero comics (and I think it offers up nods to them and doesn't smear them like so many "modern" supers stories do) but it's doesn't seem to be written as a superhero story but a people with powers story. The two styles are related but not quite the same thing.

You know this go me thinking about a show that was on awhile back called Earth2, real sci-fi stuff. However, the really interesting thing was that the writers didn't have a background in sci-fi, but in soap operas. And I thought it was a great show. So just because a person doesn't have a background in what they're writing doesn't mean it's going to be bad. I'm a big fan of Heroes and can't wait until September.

I remember that show; I liked it too. Don't get me wrong, I love Heroes but the show has stumbled and had rough patches like anything else (and opinions will vary on what those points were) and I'm not saying its not fair to criticize it for it's shortcomings but I feel it should be judged on what it's attempting to be and not because it's not accomplishing something it's not trying for (IMO).

But I'd love to see a good comic book TV series (and I think there was one in the Justice League animated series).

• 3 months later...

They've been doing a lot of promoting for season three of Heroes: Villains. Not only do I see it on TV, but it's advertised at the movie theater as well. While I'm glad that the producers have acknowledged mistakes they've made, I feel this season will make it or break it for me.

They've been doing a lot of promoting for season three of Heroes: Villains. Not only do I see it on TV' date=' but it's advertised at the movie theater as well. While I'm glad that the producers have acknowledged mistakes they've made, I feel this season will make it or break it for me.[/quote']

Hm. Already kind of broken for me. I doubt I'll bother with 3 unless I hear it's better'n sex and almost as good as . . . oh, never mind.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest steamteck

OTOH he was involved in Smallville so he aint all bad.

That explains why it doesn't grab me maybe, I really do not like "Smallville".

I feel like "Heroes" should give me interesting stories but i guess "people with powers in the "real" world doesn't grab me. Just can't get interested. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the show ,just not my style.

I feel like "Heroes" should give me interesting stories but i guess "people with powers in the "real" world doesn't grab me. Just can't get interested. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the show ,just not my style.

Wow I'm the exact opposite. My favorite type of stories are people with powers living in the real world.

Guest steamteck

Wow I'm the exact opposite. My favorite type of stories are people with powers living in the real world.

Well, hopefully they'll be plenty of stuff for use both. There's plenty of room for both approaches

Seriously, I'm really hardcore about it. My Supers game isn't even on planet earth but some vaguely pulpesque other world. ( actually all my campaign's home bases are parallel versions of the same world with even some travel between)

Not so. There's plenty wrong with the show. Most of which can be summed in one phrase: Plot-Induced Stupidity. People often behave uncharacteristically and display sub-human levels of intelligence because that's the only way to make the plots work. It's the cardinal sin of writing in my book. I'll overlook clunky dialogue, wooden acting, laughable special effects and cheap costumes and sets...if the characters are smart and the plot hangs together. Alas, you won't find that on Heroes.

Or Smallville. I've continued watching Smallville because a) Chloe is da bomb! and B) occasionally they do produce a really great episode. I've continued watching Heroes because I'm hoping for an improvement--but only hoping. Not expecting.

Yes -- exactly. Look at Parkman with the diamonds. He's ready to hand them over to the police, overhears the thoughts about how useless he is, and so keeps them. But then, he can't bring himself to do anything with them, gives the ring to his wife, she finds out it's worth 10k, and now he's stuck. So he decides to turn them in after all (which couldn't go well for him!), and then Ted calls.

He wants to be the good guy, but he's in over his head with Bennet's organization and knows it. But what else can he do?

Yeah, that guy has to have at least 2d6 Unluck.

• 3 weeks later...