Who Is... Your Favorite Villain?

jkwleisemann

Re: Who Is... Your Favorite Villain?

Favorite Mastermind: Malachite. (4th Edition) I ran a campaign where three of the five PCs were hunted by Malachite, so he became a big part of the campaign. (Each player chose him as a Hunted without knowing the others had too, and all picked him for different reasons.) I even wrote up the Malachite Islands (my first series of articles for Haymaker!) and ran a series of adventures there. My players truly hate him, and if a DNPC was kidnapped by Malachite, they would now probably write him off rather than go to the Malachite Islands to rescue him.

Favorite Villain: Foxbat. (All incarnations) I've had literally decades of fun with the Cowled Crusader, including some of my favorite Champions adventures. As Balabanto pointed out, his presence in so many Hero products (including his oh-so-memorable threatening the reader to "gimme your XP") makes him one of the most recognizable individuals in the Hero system. He might not be the biggest threat, but he's the only villain that my players beat down, then took out for a beer. He's also the only villain to appear in all six of my Champions campaigns (over the past 17 or so years).

Favorite Supervillain Team: Destruction Company. (4th Edition) A team that my players always love to hate and love to beat on. The matching power armors (giving all of them good defenses, and a unified look besides), the array of attacks (virtually guaranteeing something nasty for any hero), and their complete mercenary / destructive nature makes them a perfect "plug-and-play" villain group when I don't have time to put together a master plot.

Favorite Criminal Organization: VIPER. (all incarnations) Another permanent fixture in the Hero universe, the Goons in Green have made more heroes lives miserable than anybody. Absolutely loved the franchise Nest system from the 4th edition sourcebook, and I really enjoy making memorable Nest Leaders every time I start a new campaign (or the heroes take on VIPER while out of town).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite Mastermind: Malachite. (4th Edition) I ran a campaign where three of the five PCs were hunted by Malachite' date=' so he became a big part of the campaign. (Each player chose him as a Hunted without knowing the others had too, and all picked him for different reasons.) I even wrote up the Malachite Islands (my first series of articles for [i']Haymaker![/i]) and ran a series of adventures there. My players truly hate him, and if a DNPC was kidnapped by Malachite, they would now probably write him off rather than go to the Malachite Islands to rescue him.

I have never used him (in fact, I've never used any official HERO villains, but I recall Malachite really impressing me when I saw his character sheet. What was his quote again? I can't recall it, but I really liked it.

I have never used him (in fact' date=' I've never used any official HERO villains, but I recall Malachite really impressing me when I saw his character sheet. What was his quote again? I can't recall it, but I really liked it.[/quote']

Well, he had two, one in each of his published writeups. The first was for his 3E entry in Villainy Unbound, which I frankly thought was rather long-winded and pompous: "The quality of power lies not in its potential usefulness, but in the achievements of those who use it. This simple test separates the strong from the weak, as the strong are separated from Malachite, who is alone in power."

The second quote comes from his 4E update for the first Champions Universe book, which is pithier and IMO more reflective of the character: "If you play with your toys too long and too rough, they break."

I hate to disappoint you, but I can assure you this won't happen. ARGENT is run more like an evil corporation; there's no major master villain behind it -- certainly not anyone of Darkseid caliber.

If I were going to introduce anyone like that, it would probably be in the late 2008 book Champions Beyond. I'm not sure we need someone like that, what with Tyrannon and Istvatha V'han running around, but if I get inspired to create one you'll find him in Champions Beyond.

Hmm... you could do something along those lines with the "alien Empyreans" that Darren has suggested will be in CB. Or perhaps the rise of an "evil" Avatar from the religion of the Velarian Confederacy. (Oooh... potential alien jihad!) :eg:

Favorite period: Foxbat

Favorite Evil Scientist: Teleios

Favorite NPC Plot Device: Captain Chronos

Favorite Conquerer: Isvatha V'han

Favorite Powerhouse: Firewing

Favorite Evil Organization: PSI (4th ed over 5th, but not by much)(Though I like what I hear on ARGENT there isn't yet enough to go on)

Favorite Villain Team: Hard call, out of the official ones I have? GRAB

I always liked VIPER Force 2. While they were not as powerful individually as some other teams, they were a tight, cohesive unit that, if GMed right, could give hero groups fits. My old group, Tempest, had a lot of fun run-ins with those guys.

I always liked VIPER Force 2. While they were not as powerful individually as some other teams' date=' they were a tight, cohesive unit that, if GMed right, could give hero groups fits. My old group, Tempest, had a lot of fun run-ins with those guys.[/quote']

Yeah, I also liked VF2, and they were freuent foes of my heroes in a past campaign. IMO, VF2 was much better than VF1, at least as far as individual personalitites go.

Of all the various editions of Hero, who is your favorite villain? Doc D, the classic powerhouse? Foxbat, the classic "love to hate him" loon? CLOWN?

Personally, mine gets a bit obscure, but I give him style points. Mister Rappentap. Whatever you might say about his writeup, you have to give bonus points to a guy with the nerve to routine use children as weapons against superheroes (and armor, for that matter).

Oohhh... I liked Mr. Rappentap too. "Today we're going to play murder. It's my favorite game"

I liked Rappentap too. He struck me as a great villain to use in an 'adventure' where you took the usual campaign NPCs/DNPCs and used them as PCs for one adventure.

And I have to add, much as I love Everyman, it simply can't hold a candle to Normals Unbound.

EDIT: One favorite villain would be Master Control, his organization, and his flunkies the Destruction Company. It's so rare to see a villain group with a theme.

Well, other than Amazon or eBay, your best bet for finding old Champs stuff is via online used game retailers. Here are a couple that I can recommend as giving good service, taking multiple payment options, buying or trading for games, and shipping internationally:

Noble Knight Games

The Dragon's Trove

Bless you for posting those links, LL. If Hero Games has a patron saint of helpfullness, it's you.

yeah' date=' but if the average normal has a 8 INT, then Grond is perfectly qualified to be middle management. ^_^[/quote']

BNakagawa: please reformat this in 12 point type and rewrite using the phrase "repositioning brand identity" and have it on my desk sometime between lunch and quitting time (2--3PM).

And try not to wake me up.

I always liked VIPER Force 2. While they were not as powerful individually as some other teams' date=' they were a tight, cohesive unit that, if GMed right, could give hero groups fits. My old group, Tempest, had a lot of fun run-ins with those guys.[/quote']

And Black Cat is going to take down Armstrong one of these days. :)

I've not used them much in my games, but VF2 was one of the best groups, and the best associated with VIPER.

I forgot before -- other favorite Champs villains:

Shinyufrom Golden Age Champions: who doesn't love a sexy dragon lady? And I thought her outlined character development in the second edition of GAC was a very well-thought out idea.

Dragon Queen from the original VIPER book: she should've been Shinyu's daughter, but that aside she was great. Heck, I tried to re-do her as a hero back when the current edition first came out, but her dragon form would cost WAAAY too much.

Fenris from Enemies International: what, you're surprised?

Black Enchantress and just about everyone else from the adventure Coriolis. Great set of NPCs, great plotline, and Henry Avery worked great as a superteam organizer.