Build this: I surf the 'net

Tech

Perhaps this was done before but I didn't find it. Anyways..

I want to build a power but I haven't thought this through entirely so bear with me. I have a robot character (the only robot character in the campaign that's survived). I was thinking of various ideas for my character surfing the internet since a robot:

a) she can surf the 'net by connecting herself like any computer. Useful in-game for gathering information or just cruising the 'net like any normal person for enjoyment.

B) the above but for in-game purposes, searching for a particular computer to scan it's information. Think of it as searching for a computer to hak it, for detective work. For a robot character, this takes on a new dimension.

c) surf the net and upon finding the correct computer, can communicate with that online user. Useful in-game should the character be captured and need a way to communicate with someone to call for help.

I'd think this through more but I'm taking care of my brother who has the flu and I'm tired. So, any takes, new ideas or suggestions, new powers? ;)

Re: Build this: I surf the 'net

For A and B' date=' you could even simulate it with just various Skills on good rolls (such as KS: General Information), with the special effect that you looked up the information on the net.[/quote']

For a) I guess I could go with that but this doesn't work for B).

If a specific computer were to be accessed by the character, specific information (and all information for that matter unless it couldn't be accessed for whatever reasoN) would be available. Even as a generous GM, I don't think this would work since specific information could be obtained. However, the information obtained is only as much as would be contained on the computer.

i.e. If a Viper agent's computer were haked into/accessed, the character would gain specific information but only as much as the agent had put into the computer. If nothing was mentioned about the Supreme Serpent, well then, no information was gained from this particular computer. However, if the agent had info regarding the next caper, then that specific info would be available.

So, at least for the B idea, a KS: General Information wouldn't work.

Sorry Derek, I didn't read everything you'd written so pardon my long answer. I attribute it to being tired. :(

I'm wondering if perhaps for A & B, if a cosmic power pool for skills isn't too far a stretch, with appropriate limitations.

This sounds like the character would have an enormous Computer Programming, KS: Computer Reference Material and Systems Operation skill. If able to hook into wireless networks, you may want High Range Radio Hearing (and Broadcast) to tap into Wi-Fi. Then you should buy some manner of Power Framework (EC, MP or potentially even VPP) to represent all the things you can do when interacting with a computer, and use Comp. Pro. or Sys. Op. as a skill roll for Requires Skill Roll. To strip a computer of info, Telepathy. To get it to execute commands, Mind Control. To find specific networked users, Mind Scan. To fry the software of a computer, INT Suppress. To melt the chips, some manner of dealing BODY. You could even argue for Clairsentience through tapping into surveillance equipment or pre/postcognition by hacking actuarial computers.

It depends on how abstract or concrete the concept of "the net" is in your game. In a cyber or scifi campaign its probably a lot more concrete than in a supers game, for instance.

If you are abstracting it then skills are the way to go -- the generic "Internet Info" skill approach others have mentioned works great for this, and Computer Programming for the hacking.

If you have a concrete definition of what the net is in your game, then depending on what approach you are taking various power based approaches are better, starting w/ the Mind Scan / Telepathy / Mind Control vs Machine class of minds Bloodstone alludes to, and diverging from there depending on your implementation of a "net" concept.

Here's some information from my MetaCyber campaign that might help you: MetaCyber Technology.

For a more abstracted approach, this supers character doesnt have real time access to the net, but surfs a lot in his off time so to speak and remembers nearly everything, giving him a effect similar to your first bullet point (look under skills): Johnny Tick-Tock

And so forth...

In this lovely age of wireless internet, I'd say the 'bot could use a real cheap Summon to get access to any web-based program available, and whatever KS: the summoned computer might have. The KS would remain with the summoned and not the summoner, so it seems fairly kosher.

An off the cuff idea, by the way, that may have a wrinkle or two to iron out.

In this lovely age of wireless internet, I'd say the 'bot could use a real cheap Summon to get access to any web-based program available, and whatever KS: the summoned computer might have. The KS would remain with the summoned and not the summoner, so it seems fairly kosher.

An off the cuff idea, by the way, that may have a wrinkle or two to iron out.

Summon Webdaemon!

Dang, but that could be broken. Well, no more than any given instance of Summon but still....

Tech,

B and C are just the use of various computer related Skills, such as Computer Programming, PS: Hacker, AK: Internet, etc. A is simply a matter of establishing a connection to the Internet or other network. To determine what Power accomplishes this, you need to define exactly what the Internet is and how it works in your game. For me, it's just another part of the environment any character can take advantage of using "free" equipment. To have that equipment, or the stuff that equipment does, built into a character, I typically have them purchase some kind of Radio sense, typically Radio Transmit/Receive for 10 points. In some settings I also allow a -1/2 to -1 Limitation for Telecommunications Only which will include wireless LANs, cell phone communication and using those types of connections to connect to an ISP. Membership to an ISP is free, just like a library card, driver's license or other everyman type thing.

Of course, if he has "special powers" while surfing the net, that's a whole different bag of worms. Just buy whatever Powers seem appropriate to the SFX and the setting.

I'd look at Universal scholar (see Ulti-skill) and some Cyberkinetic powers....maybe add in extra time to lower cost...Cramming can also be bought at above "8" now, so that might be a "download info" power as well.....Universal scholar at a fairly low roll...because...well,,,the net IS full of "noninformation" afterall....;)

I'd consider just going with Computer Programming for cases where you might need to hack into something and PS: Internet Searching for the actual search.

This is assuming that the robot's connection to the net is either handled through other powers or if this the only thing that the robot can do as regards to computer connections, it may simply be handwaved