Star Trek’s 10 Cheesiest Classic Creatures

Susano

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Star Trek’s 10 Cheesiest Classic Creatures

James T. Kirk is not on that list!

Someone clearly dropped the ball on that one.

(B.T.W., EVERYTHING was still better on "The Original Series!"

I owe you rep for that.

Lucius Alexander

And the Original Palindromedary

Bah! The Gorn was only slow because it was really flippin' cold compared to what he's evolved for.

Someone on the site suggested that they were slow because they evolved from dinosaurs. Since the common thought at the time was that dinosaurs were slow moving ergo the Gorns were as well. If that is the case we do have to cut the creators/writers of this episode some slack since it was filmed well before Jurassic Park was released and now we know better.

I do agree that as BAD as the old series was, it had magic. I have not liked one episode of any Star Trek spinoff that I have seen. I have not seen that many, but still... I don't have cable but I did get to see (during the holidays) the Star Trek series that takes place at an earlier time period. :thumbdown

Oh well!

Have some rep.

[EDIT: I cannot rep you at this time since I have given so lavishly to you in the past. Either you need to be less helpful to me or I need to be more generous to others)

I always liked that the Gorn was slow. Why can't humans be the aliens with sweet abilities sometimes?

I agree completely! I'm kind of tired of seeing sci-fi worlds where humans are just sort of "blah" with no special abilities, while other races get super-strength, high intelligence, better vision, natural telepathy, natural armor, or what have you. Why can't we be the best at something?

I agree completely! I'm kind of tired of seeing sci-fi worlds where humans are just sort of "blah" with no special abilities' date=' while other races get super-strength, high intelligence, better vision, natural telepathy, natural armor, or what have you. Why can't we be the best at something?[/quote']

Because in space, no one can hear you flamewar.

In the Trek universe humans seem to have genius rather than just intellegence.

Sure, Vulcans are intellegent, even more intellegent than humans (on average), but how many of the genius scientists shown in the series are Vulcans? Or -not- humans, for that matter.

Humans also seem to be one of the more driven species. Big colonizers, never say die when the chips are down.

Lastly, humans seem to be a lot better at getting along with other races than any of the other major races are. The Federation was a human idea, and it is the biggest & strongest single political organization in the quadrant.

Of course, none of these are individual, personal advantages that a PC could easily be built on...

I think the whole thing with Humans is that they are the benchmark in the ST universe. They are the most adaptable and flexible as far as surviving and coming up with solutions. Vulcans may be stronger and smarter but they suffer from a lack of 'out of the box thinking', Klingons may be more agressive and tougher but they are not great thinkers and lack the subtle cleverness of humans.

Remember it was humans who founded the Federation of Planets not any of the other alien races.

A human idea though.

Which makes me wonder why these other races all bought into it. TOS is set in the 23rd Century -- only 250 years or so in our future. Most of these other species would have been starfaring a lot longer than Man, and Man's aggressiveness must have alarmed several of the races they originally encountered. (Remember, colonist is just another word for invader if you're the guy that's already there).

Which makes me wonder why these other races all bought into it. TOS is set in the 23rd Century -- only 250 years or so in our future. Most of these other species would have been starfaring a lot longer than Man' date=' and Man's aggressiveness must have alarmed several of the races they originally encountered. (Remember, colonist is just another word for invader if you're the guy that's already there).[/quote']

This is Roddenberry's future, so once First Contact with the Vulcans occurred and man learned he wasn't alone in the universe, he shaped up and dropped money, religion, and ethnicity as a factor in dealing with life.

On a slightly more serious note, based on all that I've read, Humanity is no more or less aggressive than many other races in the ST universe.

I've never cared for the "humans are more adaptable" idea. For one thing, it rather impugns the other intelligent species. For another, I think it'd be fun if humans were just flat out badass in something or another, compared to the galactic norm. Imagine if most aliens were as slow as the Gorn or as small as Hobbits or had weak eyesight, and humans were the ones no one wanted to pick a bar fight with.

I've never cared for the "humans are more adaptable" idea. For one thing' date=' it rather impugns the other intelligent species. For another, I think it'd be fun if humans were just flat out badass in something or another, compared to the galactic norm. Imagine if most aliens were as slow as the Gorn or as small as Hobbits or had weak eyesight, and humans were the ones no one wanted to pick a bar fight with.[/quote']

Apparently the capacity for alcohol consumption in TOS humans is bordering on the superheroic.

You just know McCoy could post top-notch snark.

In one of the Diane Duane books (might be "Spock's World") an anonymous poster on the Enterprise's internal message boards (!) makes a couple of snarky posts about their current situation. McCoy reads it and says, "I wish I posted that." Kirk says, "I thought it might have *been* you," and McCoy chuckles. "Nah, my spelling always gives me away." dw

I've never cared for the "humans are more adaptable" idea. For one thing' date=' it rather impugns the other intelligent species. For another, I think it'd be fun if humans were just flat out badass in something or another, compared to the galactic norm. Imagine if most aliens were as slow as the Gorn or as small as Hobbits or had weak eyesight, and humans were the ones no one wanted to pick a bar fight with.[/quote']

Read Alan Dean Foster's 'The Damned' series if you want human bad assness.