Why horses?

Sociotard

Re: Why horses?

Very true - I'd also add that - be very careful of storage - I still have all the lizards' date=' but I don't know if I have all the riders anymore :([/quote']all riders will bow before my Doomwheel(1)!!!

(save when, running down from an hill, stop 1" before angry black orcs' unit :D )

(1) of course is a google-searched image, not mine... mine looks like... not-so-well-painted and with a "this look like real 10 years old dust" effect on top >_<

all riders will bow before my Doomwheel(1)!!!

(save when, running down from an hill, stop 1" before angry black orcs' unit :D )

(1) of course is a google-searched image, not mine... mine looks like... not-so-well-painted and with a "this look like real 10 years old dust" effect on top >_<

You can always tell a Skaven commander, because of the way he cackles when his war-machines cause massive casualties... from either or both sides ::eg:

Horses are just easiest to relate to, and can have great personalities for use in RPGs without getting in the way, unless you want them too of course. Nothing like a stubborn horse or one with a habit of biting its rider.

Personally my favorite mount is a pegasus with a side-saddle, although I admit getting dismounted is seriously something to worry about with one of those!

And the other thing with mounts, don't forget to decide whether side-saddles are in use: they have style, and let you wear a real dress rather than just riding dresses. ;) In my experience that's not usually an issue for most players who default to as much armour as they can get and military saddles, but in terms of your world it can add a nice subtle touch.

Two words - game balance.

All of the other considerations aside, a horse is simply less powerful than other, more fantastic mounts in most settings. And, being simultaneously more mundane, the horse is perfect for a "sense of normalcy", allowing fantastic mounts to be reserved for A) powerful individuals and B) exotic enemies (aka "GM's toys")

I have' date=' in fact something very much like this in my current game .....[img']http://www.rpglibrary.org/settings/gothick_empires/racesandpeoples/suuvenaya/scouts.jpg[/img]

...and a grand total of one (1) horse in all 7 kingdoms: it's regarded as something of a marvel. :D

cheers, Mark

Cool pic. And it reminds me of a question. Are you going to start posting your campaign log again? Go on, you know you want to.

The "hollow bones" wouldn't really be an issue, those things can become pretty freaking tough. Swans wings can be used break peoples bones, for example.

However, structurally speaking, even the giant moa seem to have been too weak to be able to support a human. (and also didn't have breast muscles for chest strength.) Of course handwavium or a bigger chocoboesque species turning up could help.

Also, I've noticed that ostriches and emus are generally really ornery buggers. So, that would definitely be a bit of suck having to deal with them.

Cool pic. And it reminds me of a question. Are you going to start posting your campaign log again? Go on' date=' you know you want to.[/quote']

I do actually want to: the campaign is still running and I'm still taking notes - it's just finding the time to convert 30+ pages of handwritten, occasionally cryptic notes to something digital. Maybe when we are finished refurbing our place, which should actually be in a month or so.......

Currently the players are far from home, on the trail of a lost city: they've sworn the blood oath and become pirates, pledged to restore a pirate lord to power in return for his aid.... :D

cheers, Mark

I like flying ostriches myself.

http://www.midway.com/classicGames/joust/joust.html (Requires Plugin)

As cool as riding fantasy flying ostriches would be, in real life, they're not nearly strong enough. I once read an account of a "exotic animal handling class" in which they had to wrangle an ostrich. According to what I read, they're just barely strong enough to carry a small child on their back (even if you could make a viable saddle for one). But the biggest problem would be their obvious weak spot: the neck. You can't actually wrap anything around their neck. If you try to grab one around the neck, you'll instantly kill it. So you'd need some kind of very strong and sturdy, but still very flexible ostrich neck barding.

I think that may be the first time anyone has written the phrase "ostrich neck barding."