Haymaker! Wants You

BoloOfEarth

Greetings, Herophiles!

I am the new coordinator of Haymaker!, an Amateur Press Association magazine (APAzine) supporting the Hero System, and we're looking for a few good writers to join us.

Haymaker! has been around since 1992 and is published as a PDF on a quarterly basis. As an APAzine, it is distributed only among contributors (who currently number around 20, though the number that contribute to any given issue is often less than that). Our contributors include Dave Mattingly, Mike Surbrook, and Bob Greenwade, all of whom I'm sure you know from Digital Hero and other Hero Games publications.

Haymaker! is not available by subscription or sale to the general public, so you don’t get paid to contribute. However, authors in Haymaker! retain full rights to their own work (at least, until they later decide to sell their work). For contributors, this APAzine can be both a wealth of gaming material and an excellent source of feedback from other writers.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Or, you can check out our website* (http://www.haymaker.org), look at our Contributor's Guidelines, or even email me directly (RayL@haymaker.org).

*We are in the midst of a major update to the website, so please excuse the parts still under construction.

PS: Thank you to Darren for allowing me to post this on the Hero boards.

PPS: There is a matching thread on the Digital Hero forum. I will be checking both threads, so post to either one.

Re: Haymaker! Wants You

In this day and age of the Internet, do the Comments pages make sense? Would it not make more sense to simply set up a forum to which only the active contributors have access and use it for comments? Such a forum could also be used for other discussion concering the APAzine.

1. Google?

Actually, Go Daddy, which is where haymaker.org is registered... although on a second check, it appears it's not hosted directly on Go Daddy's servers. Maybe I'm being blocked from the server it's actually hosted on. Sucks to be me then. I'll check it at home.

So let me get this straight' date=' only authors of articles get to read the magazine?[/quote']Correct.

On the other hand, you're generally getting a lot of quarterly gaming content (often 200+ pages per issue, though of course it varies considerably), at little or no cost to you beyond contributing to the fun. :)

Correct.

On the other hand, you're generally getting a lot of quarterly gaming content (often 200+ pages per issue, though of course it varies considerably), at little or no cost to you beyond contributing to the fun. :)

No, it means there's 200+ pages of gaming content I will never get to see.

I don't write, I don't have time to write. I unfortunately have more things on my plate for the next 16-20 years that will necessitate me not have time consuming hobbies like recreational writing. I'll be lucky to even be able to game in 3 years when I'm a Company Commander.

I really don't see the point in not making the product available for others to read. It just amounts to a clutch of beta readers that pass around their writings but never publish their fanfic.

TB

No, it means there's 200+ pages of gaming content I will never get to see.

I don't write, I don't have time to write. I unfortunately have more things on my plate for the next 16-20 years that will necessitate me not have time consuming hobbies like recreational writing. I'll be lucky to even be able to game in 3 years when I'm a Company Commander.

I really don't see the point in not making the product available for others to read. It just amounts to a clutch of beta readers that pass around their writings but never publish their fanfic.

TB

It is available for others to read, they simply need to contribute to get it. Instead of paying with cash, they pay with their contributions. Your situation of not having time to write is analgous to someone not having cash to buy the product if it was sold. For example, should Hero Games have allowed people to send them chickens if they couldn't afford to buy Digital Hero?

Also, I think one of the goals of an APAzine is to force writers to write -- and through the process of writing and getting feedback, become better writers. Some writers need a kick in the butt to get writing. And if they could get the content from the other contributors by simply laying out cash, many would take that route because it is easier than actually producing anything themselves.

Four pages every six months? How big are these pages? (Okay, never mind...RTFM)

I'm always halfway churning out stuff with coolness potential, but rarely getting it all the way done. This might be enough encouragement to get me to finish something and polish it up a little, but at the same time, I'd feel better about it if I had a good stack of ready material to fall back on if I get busy with RL, or get a writer's block, or just get lazy and don't want to get dropped from the roster.

Four pages every six months? How big are these pages? (Okay, never mind...RTFM)

I'm always halfway churning out stuff with coolness potential, but rarely getting it all the way done. This might be enough encouragement to get me to finish something and polish it up a little, but at the same time, I'd feel better about it if I had a good stack of ready material to fall back on if I get busy with RL, or get a writer's block, or just get lazy and don't want to get dropped from the roster.

Don't worry about that. I'm in, and I have about the same amount of ready material that you do.

I'm always halfway churning out stuff with coolness potential' date=' but rarely getting it all the way done. This might be enough encouragement to get me to finish something and polish it up a little, but at the same time, I'd feel better about it if I had a good stack of ready material to fall back on if I get busy with RL, or get a writer's block, or just get lazy and don't want to get dropped from the roster.[/quote']

Same here. Over half of what I use in any supers campaign is my own original material, I just never get it written down in a way usable by others. And ALL of what I use for fantasy or future/sf settings is original. I would definitely like to share.

Actually' date=' Go Daddy, which is where haymaker.org is registered... although on a second check, it appears it's not hosted directly on Go Daddy's servers. Maybe I'm being blocked from the server it's actually hosted on. Sucks to be me then. I'll check it at home.[/quote']

Yep, it is registered at Go Daddy but hosted on my servers. Are you still having problems getting in? I redirect to a port other than 80, that could that be the issue depending on your firewall.