B-movie inspiration

tkdguy

I'm sorely tempted to create a fantasy campaign based on several B-grade movies. Why? Because while these movies may not have been great, they can still provide good ideas for a campaign. The setting would be a fantasy version of the earth. I chose these movies because they can be used together without too many continuity problems. I'm including the IMDB links to those films.

You already know about Hawk the Slayer and Dragonslayer, so I'll skip the synopses of these films. These films allow for dragons, dwarves, elves, giants, and wizards.

Here are a couple of lesser-known films shown on the Sci Fi Channel. I'll include the plot summaries, since the IMDB links don't give much detail.

Dragon Dynasty: European merchants visit China and are pursued on their way home by a sorcerer who controls a pair of dragons. Swordplay and kung fu fighting abound. A tribe of unwashed barbarians can substitute for orcs.

Dragon Storm: Rival kings team up to fight alien dragons. The dragons came from the stars, hatched from meteors (okay, it's not logical, but this is fantasy after all). The rival kings are more like NPCs. The real heroes include a woodsman/archer, a spoiled princess, and a merchant from the east who is a skilled martial artist.

I thought about including Dragonheart, but the dragon's depiction conflicts with that of the other movies. Still, talking dragons aren't unheard of, so I may include it. Likewise, the elves depicted in Legend are different from the standard rpg elf, so I dropped that too. Again, I may use a few elements, like the unicorns, the goblins, and the demon.

Suggestions and comments are always welcome.

Re: B-movie inspiration

I'm mostly working on a campaign world, so most of the work would be keeping the timeline consistent. I may include a few characters, if I remember more of the details. If I can catch Dragon Storm and Dragon Dynasty, I'd be able to write up the main characters.

Offhand, Dragon Dynasty is set in the area between China and a kingdom in Italy(?). Someone in IMDB wondered if the hero, Marco, was actually Marco Polo, but it looks like it's an earlier period than Marco Polo's lifetime. It was definitely set after the fall of the Roman Empire. Marco and his brother are warriors and are accompanied by a young martial artistThe villain is a warrior/wizard, also trained in martial arts.

Dragon Storm is a bit harder to place. I guess it's set in Anglo-Saxon England because IIRC, one king (played by John Rhys-Davies) ruled Bernicia. My memory is sketchy, however. The main hero would be a ranger. Trivia: This movie was directed by Stephen Furst (Vir Cotto of Babylon 5).

Dragonslayer and Hawk the Slayer were most likely set in England. Dragonslayer appears to be set in Anglo-Saxon England as well, while Hawk the Slayer could have been set after the Norman Conquest. It was a period of turmoil, so there may have been a civil war going on, either the war between Stephen and Maud, or as late as the War of the Roses. Since Gort wore plate armor, the latter would be more likely.

Hawk the Slayer...mmm, goodness.

Dragonslayer still has the best ever portrayal of a dragon. It is the only movie where I was actually eager to finally see and afraid of the dragon.

Both are excellent selcetions, just avoid chanting "Believe it or not." in a dark whispery voice and you should be ok. LOL

I had a very favorable impression of a B-movie fantasy called Sword of the Valiant, based on the legend of Gawain and the Green Knight (the latter played by Sean Connery, having some fun and getting paid). I distinctly remember how Gawain set out in Arthur's ceremonial armor, as opposed to anything approaching functional protection, and becoming annoyed when his helm crumpled from being stepped on....

One thing that defines the B-Movie is unpretentiousness. That's why John Boorman's Excalibur isn't a B-Movie.

I was just looking at the IMDB link of Sword of the Valiant. I'm not sure if I want to include the Arthurian legends as part of the campaign's history, but it's always a valid option.

I cross-posted this idea on the Dragonsfoot forums. People suggested Circle of Iron and Blood of Heroes. I don't think those would fit a "historical" campaign, but they, along with the Conan and Beastmaster films would be great in a post-apocalyptic or "Age of Barbarians" campaign. I'm undecided about including Ator films because of his crazy invention skills, along with this disturbing dialogue:

Ator: I love you.

Sunya: And I love you.

Ator: Why can't we marry?

Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.

Ator: I'll talk with our father.

It turns out Ator was adopted and is not Sunya's blood brother after all. Still, they grew up together as siblings.

My fear and my anticipation are evenly balanced........;)

Given that it's going to be WETA designing and animating him, I'm not too worried. I'm expecting lots of spiky, burny goodness.

As long as they don't let Fran have too free a hand with the script, all should be well.

cheers, Mark

Given that it's going to be WETA designing and animating him, I'm not too worried. I'm expecting lots of spiky, burny goodness.

As long as they don't let Fran have too free a hand with the script, all should be well.

cheers, Mark

Yes, WETA is a major plus..I just worry about the shape of Follywoods next "cool improvement".

I can just see someone "creative" saying "Dragons are so overdone, lets do something cool like.....". :idjit:

Clash of the Titans comes to mind. As does Beastmaster and Krull. There's a lot out there, really. Sci Fi Channels' miniseries called 'Merlin' and another called 'The Odyssey' (I think that is what it was called) also come to mind. And of course, old Sinbad movies.

Clash of the Titans comes to mind. As does Beastmaster and Krull. There's a lot out there' date=' really. Sci Fi Channels' miniseries called 'Merlin' and another called 'The Odyssey' (I think that is what it was called) also come to mind. And of course, old Sinbad movies.[/quote']

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is a beautifully pulpy B-movie. I knew some Dr. Who fans who believed the villain (played by future Doctor Tom Baker) was morally in the right and better than the hero.

The next Sinbad film would feature a former Doctor (Patrick Troughton).

I wonder if The Sword and the Sorcerer will fit in one of these campaigns.

Dude, that's not a B movie. That's a C movie. Possibly even a D movie.

"In a far-off kingdom there was good king who was plagued with a terribly fake beard ....."

cheers, Mark