Superhero Universes, A to Z

BobGreenwade

Re: Superhero Universes, A to Z

R for Radio Comics and Red Circle Comics, other "company names" the MLJ Heroes have been published under.

C for Champions Universe. As opposed to the Hero Universe, there's the world where Flare, Marksman, Giant, Gargoyle, etc. all inhabited in the ealy editions of Champions and later they had their own comics.

Then again, considering that Marvel and DC have done numerous cross over stories, one could argue that they are just different parts of the same multiverse now

The only problem is that their parallel universe structure and higher-order abstract and cosmic entities aren't really all that compatible.

Would Alan Moore's America's Best Comics titles have their own separate universe or be considered part of the big DC Hypertime tangle? It technically continued as a DC imprint for a while after Wildstorm was purchased until Moore had the Apocalypse occur .

How about:

W - Willingham-verse for Elementals

N - Justice Machine (Originally published by Noble Comics)

P - Hero Alliance (Originally published by Pied Piper Comics)

The first two definitely work. P's taken, though.

How about the V&V[Living Legends ] universe=V&V' date='LL'], P=The Palladium Universe, and KHH=the King Hell Heroica universe[Home of BratPack and The Maximortal] for universes in your list?

I have Palladium; never heard of KHH, so I'll have to look it up. I'll need a good letter for the V&V/LL universe, though, since V and L are both already taken.

How about the Gestalt and Algernon Files worlds?

Good call, that! I figured out the S for Gestalt (I may move it to G if someone can suggest a different letter for GRG/San Angelo). I need a good letter for Algernon Files, though.

The Wildcards universe did actually come out of a game' date=' George R. R. Martin's own [i']Superworld[/i] campaign. The game had its own universe—of a sort—little was published for it.

Come to think of it' date=' the published [i']Superworld[/i] game books had their own little universe, too.

These are two more good calls I'll need good letter suggestions for.

R for Radio Comics and Red Circle Comics, other "company names" the MLJ Heroes have been published under.

C for Champions Universe. As opposed to the Hero Universe, there's the world where Flare, Marksman, Giant, Gargoyle, etc. all inhabited in the ealy editions of Champions and later they had their own comics.

I took the R; good suggestion. However, I'm going to just call the "Champions Universe" as you cite a part of the grand Hero Multiverse (which, for these purposes, would also include the 3rd/4th Ed CU and C:TNM).

Wasn't there a short run comic entittled Souther Knights (original tittle was "Southern Crusaders, but they had to change it because someone else had a copyrite.)

As I recall, it was set in Atlanta; the leader was an energy projector (fly and fire electric bolts), the brick was a slight young woman, they had a martial artist/weapon's mistress who was a champion fencer, and found that she could project a "mystic" sword that acted as a HKA with increased stun multiplier, but against living creatures it did no actual body. The last member was a dragon (the last male dragon, it seemed.) He could take human form (and spent most of his time in it) but was a very competent fighter/martial artist as a human, but for real power he turned into his dragon form.

Does anyone else remember them?

How many of these universes are you doing, Bob? There must be dozens out there.

CES

I'm going to just keep going until we run out of good ideas, or it stops being fun.

If I run out of letters before I run out of good ideas (which may have happened now), I'll just go with, say, A1 and A2, etc.

Wasn't there a short run comic entittled Souther Knights (original tittle was "Southern Crusaders, but they had to change it because someone else had a copyrite.)

As I recall, it was set in Atlanta; the leader was an energy projector (fly and fire electric bolts), the brick was a slight young woman, they had a martial artist/weapon's mistress who was a champion fencer, and found that she could project a "mystic" sword that acted as a HKA with increased stun multiplier, but against living creatures it did no actual body. The last member was a dragon (the last male dragon, it seemed.) He could take human form (and spent most of his time in it) but was a very competent fighter/martial artist as a human, but for real power he turned into his dragon form.

I don't know anything myself about an actual title change for the comic, but with the (seemingly) eternal mess that comic copyrights and trademarks are, such a thing would not surprise me.

In the story they originally chose to call themselves the Crusaders, but had to pick a new name when an in-story comic company claimed ownership of the Crusaders name. The Southern Knights name is chosen during an impromptu speech by Kristin after the team defeats the first actual supervillain to appear, Dread.

I've a few issues of this one, the Southern Knights. The team was made up of:

Electrode: David Shenk, a comic book fan who came up with his a process that granted him superpowers.

Connie Ronin: An Olympic-class fencer who can create a telekinetic sword that makes those struck with it feel like they've been hit with a real blade, but doing no actual damage.

Dragon: "Mark Dragon." An actual 1,200-year-old dragon that learned a way for dragons to assume human form, but much too late to save any others of his kind.

Kristin: Kristin Austin. A petite blonde who uses no code name, uses gym-shorts & a t-shirt for a costume, and who is strong enough to throw an angry adult dragon across a city street (at least). She also learns that she's bullet-proof the hard way. (When the rest of the team is in need of rescue once in East Berlin, she wins the day with a serious PRE attack:

After ripping a heavy metal table to shreds, "If anything happens to my friends...I'll kill you!" pointing a leg of the table a guard. "And you!" pointing at another guard. "I'll kill all of you!"

Aramis Merrow: A sorcerer released by Connie & Kristin as they're exploring the mansion that the team has recently acquired for use as a base. His parents—to protect him from a mob—mystically sealed him within a hidden room in the year 1725. (He gets left behind on one mission because of the difficulties in getting a passport with a date of birth sometime in the early 1700s.)

Villains (other than 'regular' criminals) to appear include:

Dread: A scrawny little guy whose only apparent power is to bring one's worst fears to the fore.

Unknown #1: A guy using a suit of power armor designed by David Shenk.

Serpent: Female criminal mastermind. (There are a few hints dropped about her that would seem to imply that Mark isn't the last dragon.) The organization is known as Viper. (Gee, how tough would this one be to use in a Champions game? :D)

Morrigan: Goddess escaped from the "retirement home for worshiped deities" who uses a runesword to slay an unknown dragon, adding its life energy to her own (so she's working back up to full power).

Other heroes include:

Synergy: A team (?) of four identical female secret agents. (I don't have much info here. I've only one issue that Synergy appears in, and the only abilities displayed are martial arts.)

There are probably a lot more along the lines of the above, but I've only the graphic novel and a small scattering of issues.

There are also lots & lots of short-run stories from various companies that could be considered stand-alone universes.

If I dig through my comics, I can probably turn up a number of them, such as: Group Larue.

I have a 3-issue series from Innovation, published in 1989. (I don't know just now if it ever went beyond that or not.) This one is about a group of role players who are actually granted the abilities of their characters.

There are also lots & lots of short-run stories from various companies that could be considered stand-alone universes.
Yeah, most things that are just short-run, single-title universes I'm planning to omit. They'd probably be in the "database" (as it were) but won't be so significant.

I'm holding a strong preference for something with at least three "shared" titles, though with some obvious exceptions for single-title universes with high popularity.

I'm also strongly considering whether to include the Heroes and Six Million Dollar Man universes on the list, and what letters to assign them.

My familiarity comes chiefly from the short lived "Impact" line DC put out temporarily (and rights reverted)

That was a good collection of comics. I almost have a complete set. I wish it did better. The line was a chance to see a superhero universe arise from the start instead of having decades of history behind it. !mpact, we shall remember you.

There has to be an entry for the 1970s Atlas. Tiger-Man, Morlock, The Cougar, the Grim Ghost.... If "A" is already taken, may I suggest "L" for "Lame?"

To be fair, Destructor and Devil Hunter were ..okay; but I hope never to come across a concept as profoundly lame as Phoenix: the Protector.

Don't forget the Continuity Comics, the Neil Adams-run company featuring such heroes as:

* Armor

* Bucky O'Hare

* Crazyman

* Cyberrad

* Hybrids

* Megalith

* Ms. Mystic

* Samuree

* Shaman

* Silver Streak

* Toyboy

* Valeria, She-Bat

Back in the 80's the only place that seemed to have these issues were the 4 7-11's in my town. Even the comic book story didn't stock these.

There has to be an entry for the 1970s Atlas. Tiger-Man, Morlock, The Cougar, the Grim Ghost.... If "A" is already taken, may I suggest "L" for "Lame?"

To be fair, Destructor and Devil Hunter were ..okay; but I hope never to come across a concept as profoundly lame as Phoenix: the Protector.

The Grim Ghost was awesome with the Ernie Colon art. I agree the rest suffered, even the Steve Ditko Tiger Man.

CES

Yes but they didn't have much of a universe. On the other hand the Secret World is growing pretty big.

What about "Gurps" ? They did at least a couple of "superhero" books, as well as a version of "Wildcards". There are at least 4 books, plus two "Wildcards" books. "Chaosium" also did a supers game called "Superworld" a number of years ago, which had its own characters and setting if I remember correctly.

MY housemate has just reminded me of another game universe; an Australian produced game called "Super Squadron" !

Unless there were supplements for that one that I never saw (which is entirely possible), Super Squadron (Adventure Simulations, 1983) didn't contain very many details about the world it was set in.

It does contain a section covering the Super Squadron version of other realities, though.

There was also Supergame (2nd ed., DAG Design, 1982). But that one contains even less information about its campaign world.