Astonishing, if true...

Sean Waters

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Astonishing, if true...

That *will* be astonishing if true. At least, if DOJ got a bit of money just for the name, it'll be more in the kitty for them. (Color Champions, anyone?)

If Cryptic is using DOJ properties in video game, holy cats! That would be fantastic news for DOJ.

The original City of Heroes build was a lot more like Hero but they dropped it late in production and went with classes and a lot simpler build. It's hard to balance characters in the wild, wide-open Hero system without close GM input. You also can't build a new character and drop him into the campaign with extra points to make up for experience the others in the group have gotten so far.

The original City of Heroes build was a lot more like Hero but they dropped it late in production and went with classes and a lot simpler build. It's hard to balance characters in the wild' date=' wide-open Hero system without close GM input. You also can't build a new character and drop him into the campaign with extra points to make up for experience the others in the group have gotten so far.[/quote']

Heck, we don't even know if the game will use any kind of variation of the Hero System whatsoever -- it might just be that Cryptic is licensing the Champions Universe and basically prlugging it into whatever system they were developing for the cancelled Marvel Universe Online. But we'll probably get some answers to things like that on Monday.

PS3 MMO CHAMPIONS?!

Dies.

However, it doesn't start with an "H."

There has been nothing said yet that the Champions Online game will be for PS3. All that has been said is that it is for PCs and consoles (without specifying which ones). The PS3 mention was that NCSoft (not Cryptic) who now own and maintain CoH/CoV is supposedly working on a PS3 MMO game.

Given that the Marvel Universe Online MMO was being developed for PCs and XBOX 360 and this appears to be appear a continuation of that project under a new name (and with different IP), the 360 is almost certainly one of the consoles for which this will be available. Whether any other consoles will be supported is something we have to wait until at least Monday to find out.

Heck' date=' we don't even know if the game will use any kind of variation of the Hero System whatsoever -- it might just be that Cryptic is licensing the Champions Universe and basically prlugging it into whatever system they were developing for the cancelled Marvel Universe Online. But we'll probably get some answers to things like that on Monday.[/quote']

That would be my guess too. Cryptic is licensing Champions so they don't get in trouble with Marvel's lawyers. Millennium City will like look a lot like Westchester County, New York. ;) That and apparently Jack Emette (sp?) is a fan of the Hero System.

PS3 MMO CHAMPIONS?!

Dies.

However, it doesn't start with an "H."

Of course, we don't know the actual name of the project will have when released. They could have licensed any number of parts of the system. The game could be set in Hudson City. Harbinger of Justice could be the primary NPC character.

Of course' date=' we don't know the actual name of the project will have when released. They could have licensed any number of parts of the system. The game could be set in [b']H[/b]udson City. Harbinger of Justice could be the primary NPC character.

Make Harbinger the main character and make it an FPS - that could be fun. :)

Yes, well, however they do it, I'll be there :)

Now, I've been thinking, they can't make it a CoH clone - they need something different - so the Champions/Hero character generation system could work quite well: XP you can spend on all sort sof stuff, but perhaps a level based AP cap? The power choices in CoH are somewhat restricted - this could eb far more freeform.

CoH currently does not have customiseable sfx, and that could be a big selling point; look and feel is important.

FPS has been mentioned and one of the things my 13 yo son doesn't liek about CoH is that the combat is far, far too simplistic: the only skill involved is knowing the order to click the powers in, and that is really just a test of knowledge - speed is not important.

To eb different I'd want to see some fps elements - being able to really affect the combat not just with powers, but by where you are standing, how you are moving, all that jazz. I wouldn't want turn based combat, but far more of a fps feel to the combat so your own reactions really make a difference.

I think that whatever they do, they need to concentrate on making th eexperince a very different one to Coh in both game play and character creation.

Speaking of which, CoH character look generation is amazingly good - a humge number of options - but there is still room for improvement, or, better still, a different tack entirely.

I'm looking forward to the announcement and especially to the timetable. teh Marvel game has been mooted for some time so that may well mean some development has already been done: hopefully not so much that The Hero System (as opposed to just the Hero Name) doesn't get a look in.

Now' date=' I've been thinking, they can't make it a CoH clone - they need something different - so the Champions/Hero character generation system could work quite well: XP you can spend on all sort sof stuff, but perhaps a level based AP cap? The power choices in CoH are somewhat restricted - this could eb far more freeform.[/quote']

I would hope so, but they still need some system of checks and balances in place to reduce the chance of people horribly gimping themselves while also preventing the creation of tankmages.

CoH currently does not have customiseable sfx, and that could be a big selling point; look and feel is important.

It's one of the most requested features and quite possibly in the works. But there's a massive amount of time involved in redoing the graphics for every power in the game, so it's not as high of a priority.

That said, if Cryptic is moving in that direction, NCSoft will probably prioritize it. One of CoH's biggest selling points in the MMO world is the degree to which people can customize their toons' look.

FPS has been mentioned and one of the things my 13 yo son doesn't liek about CoH is that the combat is far, far too simplistic: the only skill involved is knowing the order to click the powers in, and that is really just a test of knowledge - speed is not important.

The FPS model would definitely bring in a different crop of players. Sadly, this is a bad model to follow if you want high subscriber numbers for your MMO. You need the game to remain simple enough that a wide range of people can play it. The social dynamics also change significantly...

Yeah, that's one of the things I dislike about CoH Super Strength and Gravity Manipulation.

But, Jack Emmert wanted that in CoH way back when. He was advised not to do it because of the things people would do with said objects to harass and grief other players, such as piling up cars to block mission doors or writing profanity in the streets with fallen lamp posts.

Which is not to say they won't do it. The stuff just has to be easily destructible and/or despawn rather quickly after it's been manipulated by a player...

I'm glad for the people at DOJ that they will finally be able to do this. But at the same time, I cannot see myself spending the money to buy the set-up and then the monthly fee to play. It's just too much. If on the other hand, they make a solo version that I can just play on my own computer when I have the time- IE in the winter when I can't be outside doing stuff- I'll seriously consider it.

It is awesome that it appears to finally be happening.

Yeah, that's one of the things I dislike about CoH Super Strength and Gravity Manipulation.

But, Jack Emmert wanted that in CoH way back when. He was advised not to do it because of the things people would do with said objects to harass and grief other players, such as piling up cars to block mission doors or writing profanity in the streets with fallen lamp posts.

Which is not to say they won't do it. The stuff just has to be easily destructible and/or despawn rather quickly after it's been manipulated by a player...

Here's an idea (good or bad, I dunno). If someone does "do bad things" like above, a call goes out (i.e., a mission becomes available) for some heroes to clean up the mess.

I'm thinking no for about half a dozen reasons, but would need more detail on what you mean...

What would trigger these clean up missions? Who activates them: player, system or in game GM's?

Are you rewarded for participating in them? Are you rewarded for initiating them? How about for being the root cause?

Coding a system that recognizes all the myriad ways in which a play can abuse interactive environments is tricky at best, but more likely impossible.

Generally, you don't want to let players flag other players actions as "bad" because the flagging system can then be abused.

If you use a GM to flag a bad situation, you need to have adequate staff online at all times. At that point, it's probably easier to just have the GM clean up the problem than it is to have them put out a call for help form the player base.

But lets assume you surpass the above listed issues.

How do you get players to participate in this clean up mission?

If they are expected to do it out of the kindness of their hearts, well that probably won't fly for long. There's no reward, so the novelty of it wares of quick. And if players have the ability to fix it themselves, then really ther's little in the way of an issue in the first place. 30 cars stacked in front of an important NPC? BAM!... fixed

Of course, if you do reward them in some way... xp, loot, whatever... then you are creating a scenario where the negative actions one group is allowing another group to prosper. So you are actually encouraging people to do bad things. How do you prevent people from abusing this? Of course, if the rewards not worth abusing, then it's probably not worth doing in the first place.

Harbinger of Justice: Hero of Hudson City? :angel:

That would actually be pretty cool. However since Cryptic started with a Marvel game I'm sure Champions Online will be much more Silver/Bronze/Dimond Age.

Yes, well, however they do it, I'll be there :)

Now, I've been thinking, they can't make it a CoH clone - they need something different - ... CoH currently does not have customiseable sfx, and that could be a big selling point; look and feel is important.

Good call. I'd love to see some customizable powers in CoH also. I think this would be a major selling point. Powers designed to work this way from the start would make the job of a customizable SFX much easier too.

the only skill involved is knowing the order to click the powers in, and that is really just a test of knowledge - speed is not important....To eb different I'd want to see some fps elements -

This would be hard as heck I think. I'd guess that the server requirements for FPS go up like 10x or more. There's no way you could host 1000 people on one server in an FPS, which was (around) the current record on Freedom during the last CoH "Double XP" event.

I think that whatever they do, they need to concentrate on making th eexperince a very different one to Coh in both game play and character creation.

I agree. Some sort of differentiation will be needed, otherwise it will be hard for Cryptic to compete against an established game like CoH.

They'd need to loot the "Geo-Mod" functions from Red Faction so PCs and NPCs can trash and use the environment. After all' date=' what good is being a brick if you can't tear up the street and bash people with any convenient object.[/quote']

Good idea, I'd love to see some form of player destructible environments.

Here's an idea (good or bad' date=' I dunno). If someone does "do bad things" like above, a call goes out (i.e., a mission becomes available) for some heroes to clean up the mess.[/quote']

That would work. And you don't need anything more than a Help channel. Just ask, folks will show up.