More Abusive characters

dsatow

Re: More Abusive characters

Here is one that caught us by surprise. We had a new player who wanted to play a 10 yr. old boy who could transform into a giant 4 armed monster. I though, "ok this should be easy to create." I started with Extra Limbs, Extra Limbs directed me to Ambidexterity, Ambidexterity directed me to Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-weapon Fighting directed me to WF: Off-Hand and Rapid Attack. No biggie right? Here is what you get.

5 pts. Extra Limbs (able to perform normally impossible maneuvers such as holding someone then hitting them)

0 pts. Ambidexterity (no penalties with off-hands, free with two-weapon fighting)

10 pts. Two-Weapon Fighting (only -2 DCV while Sweeping, no penalties with off-hand, no penalty for first Sweep attack)

5 pts. Rapid Attack (can perform Sweeps as a Half-Phase action, such as after a Half-Move)

1 pt. WF: Off-hand (+1 DCV)

Because we fight tons of minions and the player was new to the system, it wasn't obvious at first what we had built. A few months into the game (during which time the new but smart player capped his END), this is what we ended up with...

A character that could take a half-move (Rapid Attack) then perform multiple manuevers such as two Strikes (Sweep) or Grabbing and Striking a target at the same time (Sweep plus Extra Limbs) or Grabbing and Sqeezing the same foe twice (making escapes nearly impossible without the right powers) or performing a a double Haymaker on a Stunned foe (you get the idea), all for 21 pts. and a total penalty of -1 DCV (just make sure you have enough END). Nice huh?

Nice, but not abusive, at least not to me....but I agree thats a lot for 21 pts....

Here is one that caught us by surprise. We had a new player who wanted to play a 10 yr. old boy who could transform into a giant 4 armed monster.

Sounds like one of Ben10's forms.

I thought, "ok this should be easy to create." I started with Extra Limbs, Extra Limbs directed me to Ambidexterity, Ambidexterity directed me to Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-weapon Fighting directed me to WF: Off-Hand and Rapid Attack. No biggie right? Here is what you get.

5 pts. Extra Limbs (able to perform normally impossible maneuvers such as holding someone then hitting them)

0 pts. Ambidexterity (no penalties with off-hands, free with two-weapon fighting)

10 pts. Two-Weapon Fighting (only -2 DCV while Sweeping, no penalties with off-hand, no penalty for first Sweep attack)

5 pts. Rapid Attack (can perform Sweeps as a Half-Phase action, such as after a Half-Move)

Because we fight tons of minions and the player was new to the system, it wasn't obvious at first what we had built. A few months into the game (during which time the new but smart player capped his END), this is what we ended up with...

A character that could take a half-move (Rapid Attack) then perform multiple manuevers such as two Strikes (Sweep) or Grabbing and Striking a target at the same time (Sweep plus Extra Limbs) or Grabbing and Sqeezing the same foe twice (making escapes nearly impossible without the right powers) or performing a a double Haymaker on a Stunned foe (you get the idea), all for 21 pts. and a total penalty of -1 DCV (just make sure you have enough END). Nice huh?

I could be wrong but I am under the assumption that you always go with the worst DCV modifier. So in the case of the "double" haymaker, your DCV should be halved with the additional -1 DCV on top. Not sure if you meant that or not. Also, normally WF:Off hand is used for heroic level games, I would have had him buy a 5 pt DCV level or a 3 pt DCV only in HTH level.

Question: Why is ambidexterity 0 pt.?

I could be wrong but I am under the assumption that you always go with the worst DCV modifier. So in the case of the "double" haymaker, your DCV should be halved with the additional -1 DCV on top. Not sure if you meant that or not. Also, normally WF:Off hand is used for heroic level games, I would have had him buy a 5 pt DCV level or a 3 pt DCV only in HTH level.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression you took the worse of the two modifiers and didn't "add" them together. So it would be 1/2 DCV, not 1/2 DCV -1. I don't have the book and I don't remember, exactly.

The character was based on Four Arms I believe but he was much creepier. The character's name was Orphan. He was from a nightmarish dimension (Exiles style campaign) where monsters killed everyone on Earth but him. He was almost scarier as a little boy than a monster.

TWF "allows the character to ignore the -3 penalty for using his off hand to attack", this is functionally the same as Ambidexterity. I included it to emphasize that the character had no OCV penalties while making a single sweep attack with his extra limbs

From 5ER 397...

With the GM’s permission, a character can

Sweep with more than one Combat Maneuver

— for example, Martial Disarming one opponent

while punching another. In this case, Maneuver

bonuses to OCV are not cumulative (each applies

only to the attack it is used with), and if both

maneuvers provide DCV bonuses (including a

+0 “bonus”), only the lowest bonus applies. However,

all OCV and DCV penalties are cumulative

(they apply to all Attack Rolls). DCV penalties

from maneuvers should be subtracted from the

character’s DCV before his DCV is halved for using

Sweep. Maneuvers or Skills that halve the character’s

DCV aren’t cumulative with the halving eff ect

from Sweep (the character’s DCV is only reduced

by half).

When Sweeping different maneuvers, bonuses are not cumulative but penalities are. Please note that TWF gives you a -2 DCV while Sweeping, not 1/2 DCV. If the above character used two strike maneuvers, for example, his net penalties would be -1 DCV. As above, a Sweep Haymaker is not possible, that statement was an error on my part. As far as disallowing the WF, as GM you could disallow the whole build if you wanted. The rules, however, don't require this. Our game has a strong Martial Arts element to it so we opted to allow it as the character had a distinct fighting style based on his four arms.

• 2 years later...

a "friend" asked me once if i wanted to help him make a magic villian he

wuz gonna play in a campaign, specifically he wanted some suggestions

for spells as a necromancer

I made a spell that did transfer body (transfer to transfer) with aoe megascale

(planet scale) and continuos, or something like that.

and a trigger as if he kills anyone with that spell he would auto summon a zombie

as extra flavor. Dunno if it was legal but he killed everyone on the planet on their first gamerun, and used the zombiearmy to start conquring the second gameworld they

were gonna play in biggrin.gif

and a trigger as if he kills anyone with that spell he would auto summon a zombie

as extra flavor. Dunno if it was legal but he killed everyone on the planet on their first gamerun, and used the zombiearmy to start conquring the second gameworld they

What zombie army?

I count about a zombie squad.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks Lucius if he's never heard of "an army of one?" In this case, probably it's an army of 30.

In a game where I know the GM won't approve a certain power, I'll present an blatant abusive character on purpose.

The GM gags, screams "NO! NO! NO!"

Then I look disappointed and present my real character who is quite normal except for the one abusive power. Sighing with relief, the GM approves my character.

So the GM gets a heart attack, and I get what I wanted. Behold the power of cheese.

What zombie army?

I count about a zombie squad.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks Lucius if he's never heard of "an army of one?" In this case, probably it's an army of 30.

dunno didnt make the zombie part, only got an explenation on what it would do.

if one cant have a planet of zombies it only get half as fun...no.gif

:rofl:

Here is one that caught us by surprise. We had a new player who wanted to play a 10 yr. old boy who could transform into a giant 4 armed monster. I though, "ok this should be easy to create." I started with Extra Limbs, Extra Limbs directed me to Ambidexterity, Ambidexterity directed me to Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-weapon Fighting directed me to WF: Off-Hand and Rapid Attack. No biggie right? Here is what you get.

Heck, my character PHENOM (a Martian Manhunter homage) can do that now! :thumbup: Even worse, he can make his hands into AoE 2m... Thats a seriously swept grab on multiple hexes!!! He's an anti-mook!!! :rofl:

He's not abusive, he's... complex!

Appropriate subject for some thread necromancy

7) The T999a - Robot (takes no stun) with regeneration to it's body. It keeps going and going.

:sneaky: I must admit, I have used something in a similar vein as NPC villains. Of course, those NPC's had extra time and such that kept them from "instantly" regenerating. More of a T800/cyborg whose biologic parts regrew than a T999....

-Carl-

I don't remember that being in the rules.

I do. Presumably it's a reference to the "Blind Teleport" damage you take for appearing in a solid object - except that by deliberately teleporting into another character, both would take damage. That alone is probably not allowed by many, and claiming a "move through" (which I assume means adding STR to it) is REALLY stretching it.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says, but isn't Stretching it another Power?

Well, let's see...

There was a guy who put his powers on his "OAF" Skin.

Then the one who bought his strength as "OAF Hair" and had regeneration-hair only so his hair would grow back in seconds. (Samson was the character name.)

To be honest, I had a lot of people who claimed powers with Obvious Accessable Foci that for some reason couldn't be taken away. Like the man who could teleport his gun back to his hand as a zero phase action, no matter where in the multiverse it was.

Then there was the power armor guy who had a ranged killing attack, autofire 10 shots, explosive, with enough dice (3 or 4d6) to kill a normal... I let him have it, he used it exactly once, then abandoned the character after he was arrested for killing a couple dozen innocent bystanders and causing a couple million in property damage at a mall.

7) The T999a - Robot (takes no stun) with regeneration to it's body. It keeps going and going.
Actually, I've found that you pretty much need Regeneration for an Automaton character. Because, barring really excessive defenses, you will be taking BODY - and sitting back at base recovering for months after each fight is not generally desirable. Of course, the regeneration doesn't have to be Terminator-fast, just enough that you're not dragging everyone down.

As for abusive characters - Summoners can be abusive by accident! In fact, I actually had to retire a character, because what seemed like a reasonable level of summoned creatures turned out to be a veritable army that stomped the opposition flat.