Duplication Powers and Tactics

TheQuestionMan

Greeting HERO Gurus, TheQuestionMan some questions about Duplication Powers and Tactics. I have been Playing Nemesis/Riot a Brick, Duplicator, and Detective.

Doh! Thanks Bloodstone. Right I forgot the questions:

01. What recommendations do you suggest for Tactics for a Duplicator?

02. What complimentary Powers do you suggest for a Duplicator?

03. What do you do as a Player/GM when one of your Duplicates dies? (Take into account Special Effects of Power. In my case Temporal Duplication).

04. What would you want to know about Duplicator Characters?

05. Would you allow Duplicators in your Campaign? (If NO, then Why Not?).

06. What is you favourite Comic Book Duplicator's shtick?

07. <<>> ;)

08. <<>> ;)

09. <<>> :)

10. <<>> ;)

Duplication Resources

Pyre Archer's [Campaign] The new, NEW Champions of Vancouver!

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59399

Duplication - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comic_book_superpowers#Duplication

Category: Duplication - Marvel Comics Database

http://en.marveldatabase.com/Category:Duplication

Bio-Fission - DC Comics Database

http://en.dcdatabaseproject.com/Bio-Fission

Fictional_characters_who_can_duplicate_themselves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fictional_characters_who_can_duplicate_themselves

Jamie Madrox - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Madrox

Triplicate Girl - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triplicate_Girl

Flashback - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashback_%28comics%29

Multiplex - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplex_%28comics%29

Collective Man - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_Man

Silent Majority - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Majority_%28comics%29

DP7's Antibodies - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.P._7

<<>>

QM

Duplication Powers/Tactics:

Powers/Tactics: Nemesis/Riot is a brawler/wrestler, using Brick Tricks along with Teamwork to take opponents more powerful than himself.

Fast Ball Specials - Move Throughs are the best, but Multiple Move Throughs/Bys are lethal.

Agent Tactics - Coordinated Attacks, Multiple Attacker Bonus, and Wait Maneuvers. Acting in different Phases allows you to counter opponents Speed and Movement.

Teamwork Brick Tricks - Multiple Grabbing, Throwing, and Move Throughs. These really help you even the odds against really powerful opponents. Not to mention stripping Foci. Grabbing a couple Agents/Thugs and swinging them together makes for nasty business, but it works wonders.

It is always nice to have backup and even better when YOU know it is going to do what you want THEM to do. The horrible jokes and quips available to Duplicators is enough to want to play one your self.

Nemesis/Riot is my first Duplicator and I like to think he will go down in our campaign as a true Champion.

I have not yet GM'ed a Duplicator, but I suspect WE have given our GM a few moments pause here and there. (Not to mention a few headaches form the Puns, Quips, and Jokes.) If you need a HERO give US a call and WE will get back to you soon.

Cheers

QM

My last character was a three formed werewolf named Cerberus. My answers are based on my experiences while playing him.

Coordinating Attacks (not to mention Multiple Attacker Bonus) is a powerful tactic. As you stated, Teamwork is a must have skill.

Multiple same maneuver attacks are great, like your multi-Move Through suggestion, but don't stop there. Mix it up! Grab - Haymakers and having one Duplicate Block for an another attacking Duplicate are good combos too. Also, as you pointed out, staggering your phases can give you the feeling of playing a super-high SPD character.

Mind Link is very useful and can make Duplicates excellent communicators for split group scenarios.

03. What do you do as a Player/GM when one of your Duplicates dies? (Take into account Special Effects of Power. In my case Temporal Duplication).

Duplication is very powerful and can bring out the worst in some GMs. I have seen GMs that never killed a PC before kill a Duplicate and say "well, it's not like you don't have others". For this reason I usually take some sort of Resurrection upon Recombing for my Duplication.

In the case of your specific Time oriented Duplication, I would definately recommend some sort of Resurrection upon Recombination because its not likely you will ever run out of timelines to draw Duplicates from.

House rules on limiting APs or DCs for Duplicates can lighten the burden on a GM.

Yes. :thumbup:

Controlling your mini-team's tactics can be alot of fun if you are willing to put the work in.

Re: Duplication Powers and Tactics

(1) You've covered most of the tactics I've used. Fr'instance, one duplicate grabs or throws, the others then pile on the attacks on Mr. Half-DCV. Or staggering actions so a number of Duplicates are acting somewhat like a single speedster.

(2) Complimentary Powers:

I had a character named Shuffle. He could create 3-4 duplicates that stuck around as long as he wanted, but he could also create many more on a very short-term (less than a second) basis. So he had some powers that used "duplication" as a sfx. For instance:

Teleport, must cross intervening space -- though Duplication itself keeps a base form that the other forms merge back into, I had him near-instantaneously (1) create a duplicate, (2) merge his original form into the duplicate, and (3) repeat steps 1 and 2 until he's crossed a given distance. I did this as Teleport rather than, say, Running because he could stick his hand through the bars of a cell, create the duplicate on the other side, then merge into that duplicate.

Autofire HtH attack -- creates many short-term (like half-phase) duplicates, each punching once then merging back in. Add Indirect, since he could do this in a ring around the target.

For the Temporal Dislocation duplicator, you could justify Precognition. Actually, as a GM I'd want a reasonable in-game mechanism for why your character *doesn't* automatically know what's going to happen (since that could spoil the fun for all), like a swiss-cheesed memory ala Quantum Leap.

(3) Haven't had to deal with a Duplicate death yet, and don't recall what the rules might say on it.

(4) I'd want to know if they all share the same personality, or are different (and if so, in what ways). Using your Temporal Dislocation duplicator as an example, I'd wonder how the different ones get along, whether the oldest one treats the younger ones in a condescending fashion, etc.

(5) I would allow a duplicator, assuming he's not going to overshadow everybody else. If the character is designed to be a 1-character team (regularly supplanting the other PCs), I'd be less likely to accept him.

(6) Don't really have a favorite comic book duplicator, at least one I remember off the top of my head.

1 and 2) Stagger your actions when Coordinating isn't necessary or ideal. Then use abilites that impose penalties on your opponents. Grab, Legsweep, Entangle, Flash, Darkness and many other powers impose significant penalties that can easily take advantage of when you are in control of an entire squad. Regen is also in high demand...

3) Cry manly tears. Then, when you are done being a sissy about it realize how liberating this all is. You know how you get taken down and can live with a certain degree of confidence that you are not going to die until that day!

4) Depends on if they are girls ;)

5) Depends on the player and how the powers work. But it can be a nightmare to play with. A 3 SPD Duplicator with just 4 Dupes has the potential to act every Segment.

6) Most of the stuff PAD has done with Jamie Madrox in the last few years has been really cool, though not something I would readily want to model in a Champs game.

As for complimentary powers

I had a duplicator, not that powerfull even, made 5 of himself total, all mind linked together

Now, he was a martial artist (The 20 point generic, plus a couple of extra moves: Martial Disarm, Martial Grab, Legsweep, a couple extra DC, and a couple weapon elements, 40 points in MA total)

Light body armor (5/5, Radio, flash protection, LS: rebreather)

He also had a 25 point Utility Belt MP. 30 point pool, OIF, with

Brass Knuckles 4d6 0 end

Flashbang Grenades 12 charges, sight sound flash, explosion

Rubber Bullet Pistol 6d6 EB, 12 Charges, 4 clips, OAF, Red Pen

Gas grenades 3 Cont charges lasting a min, NND, Sticky, explosive

Grappler 15" Swinging, 0 end, no combat swinging

All of this is from memory, but he was fairly effective...

Lots of using the flashbangs for instance, then attacking

Greeting HERO Gurus, TheQuestionMan some questions about Duplication Powers and Tactics. I have been Playing Nemesis/Riot a Brick, Duplicator, and Detective.

Doh! Thanks Bloodstone. Right I forgot the questions:

QM

01. Coordinated attacks via Teamwork

02. Mind link (I'm too lazy to look up the power, but I am assuming that Mind Link isn't an optional part of Duplication)

03. Depends on the SFX. For a temporal Duplicator, it depends on the SFX of time travel. If alternate timelines are available, then the timeline of origin for that duplicate is now without that individual, from the point of their departure forward. If no alternate timelines are available, then the GM needs to work out the details of when that particular Duplicate came from and if that affects how many Duplicates can be created in the future. Note that this also decides when the character dies, period...

04. Nothing comes to mind...

05. Probably. I'd like to play one, so it would be the height of hypocrisy to not allow someone else to play one.

06. Off-screen Duplicates - more-or-less permanent duplicates that are off-screen. Good SFX for Wealth, skills, even Clairsentience.

This thread reminds me - I had an idea for a character called the Golden Gangsta, who was a moderately dangerous normal. He could, however, duplicate up to 16 times and do all the usual mayhem associated with a gang that size. But his unexpected power would be to absorb his duplicates back and become superhuman for a short period of time (have the bumped stats fade over time). And to make it even more of an accounting headache, have the duplicates able to do the same - so, say, you end with 4 dupes who have re-absorbed 3 dupes apiece and you have a small gang, all with maybe a 25-30 STR, streetfighting martial arts, etc. Probably not legal and most likely a points hog, but sounds like fun.

Secret identities are a lot easier to keep... I mean Duplo Man can be heading for the emergency' date=' even as his civilian identity comes out of the store room with some paper.[/quote']

Repped, Kenn, great idea! He can be his own support staff -- one duplicate stays behind in secret ID, maybe does research for the other duplicates in hero ID in the field or talks to contacts he only has in secret ID.

A reporter with mind link could be typing up the story while his duplicates are still fighting. Never gets scooped (at least, on stories involving himself).

Also gives the GM a plot hook -- someone could kidnap or attack Mr. I'm-Still-In-Secret-ID while all the other duplicates are away dealing with something else.

• 5 months later...

Player Note: Character Development becomes interesting when your Superhero can fill out the required forms and documents for the various Law Enforcement Agencies. Also it speeds up Report Writing.

For Training purposes you can learn multiple skills at once.

Cheers

QM

If you want your duplicates to become expandable here is a power straight from the Ultimate Metamorph:

RECOMBINATION RESURRECTION

Effect: Healing BODY 8d6 Resurrection, Trigger (upon

recombination), Duplicates Only

Target/Area Affected: One or more Duplicates

Duration: Instant

Range: No Range

END Cost: 20

Description: When the character recombines with

his Duplicates, any that died while in existence are

automatically brought back to life. In effect this

makes his Duplicates expendable cannon fodder;

the only way he can permanently lose one is for

its physical form to be disintegrated or otherwise

entirely destroyed.

Game Information: Healing BODY 8d6 Resurrection

(can stop Resurrection by totally or

significantly destroying the Duplicate’s body),

Trigger (when Duplicate recombines with

character, Trigger activates automatically, Trigger

automatically immediately resets; +1) (200

Active Points); Only Works On Duplicates (-1).

Total cost: 100 points.

It is a bit expensive though so you may have to lower the healing dice a bit.

• 3 years later...

Let's try some basics:

Just because it is described as Duplciation, does not means you need hte hero power duplicaiton.

Duplication is for extra Character that are totally under player controll, that are non-disposeable (it maters if they die) and that are very similar to the base character (i.e. same Skills).

For Disposeable Duplicates, either give them Regeneration or your true form a Resurrection Ability (as Core has done above).

Or build them as Summons. They follow the normal rules of summon (limited services), but have to be anyway like the character and are totally disposeable (if one dies, it's jsut a summon).

Also a lot of "Duplication Tricks" can be other powers with the Special Effect of Duplication.

If you want your duplicates to become expandable here is a power straight from the Ultimate Metamorph:

RECOMBINATION RESURRECTION

Effect: Healing BODY 8d6 Resurrection, Trigger (upon

recombination), Duplicates Only

Target/Area Affected: One or more Duplicates

Duration: Instant

Range: No Range

END Cost: 20

Description: When the character recombines with

his Duplicates, any that died while in existence are

automatically brought back to life. In effect this

makes his Duplicates expendable cannon fodder;

the only way he can permanently lose one is for

its physical form to be disintegrated or otherwise

entirely destroyed.

Game Information: Healing BODY 8d6 Resurrection

(can stop Resurrection by totally or

significantly destroying the Duplicate’s body),

Trigger (when Duplicate recombines with

character, Trigger activates automatically, Trigger

automatically immediately resets; +1) (200

Active Points); Only Works On Duplicates (-1).

Total cost: 100 points.

It is a bit expensive though so you may have to lower the healing dice a bit.

As a House Rule I said that all Duplicates recover as part of the Power. I think it closer to how the power is usually portrayed.