Attack of the Non-Teutonic masterminds!!

Hermit

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

My Spanish is all but non-existent, but I think that would be Rey del Oro. Sorry if I've loused up there. Maybe someone can confirm/correct it. The literal translation (I think) is King of Gold, but I think that's how they would translate "Golden King".

Rey means "King" del means "of" and Oro means "Gold". So, your villian calls himself the King Of Gold? Sounds good.

Non-Teutonic Masterminds... non-Teutonic or Asian Masterminds...

D-Man mulls this improbaly and highly unatural propostition over at some length.

Then D-Man exclaims: What are you smoking?!

You will go through three stages:

1) when you don't realize you are using a stereotypical cliche

2) when you do realize and try to come up with something "unique"

3) when you realize the stereotypical cliche is a totally cool schtick and you embrace it.

I recommend going straight from 1 to 3. Become one with the Cliche! The real test of creativity isn't always creating something new. Sometimes its about making something old seem new.

If they aren't a Von or a Fu they're a pretender and a chump. Where else can you apply purple prose like "yellow menace incarnate!" and "the monocole'd prinz of doom!"

Originally posted by D-Man

Non-Teutonic Masterminds... non-Teutonic or Asian Masterminds...

D-Man mulls this improbaly and highly unatural propostition over at some length.

Then D-Man exclaims: What are you smoking?!

You will go through three stages:

1) when you don't realize you are using a stereotypical cliche

2) when you do realize and try to come up with something "unique"

3) when you realize the stereotypical cliche is a totally cool schtick and you embrace it.

I recommend going straight from 1 to 3. Become one with the Cliche! The real test of creativity isn't always creating something new. Sometimes its about making something old seem new.

If they aren't a Von or a Fu they're a pretender and a chump. Where else can you apply purple prose like "yellow menace incarnate!" and "the monocole'd prinz of doom!"

But what about Russian masterminds? We could have some of those, right? I mean, not every European is Teutonic - anyone says otherwise and I think we'll get complaints.;)

Originally posted by Black Rose

But what about Russian masterminds? We could have some of those, right? I mean, not every European is Teutonic - anyone says otherwise and I think we'll get complaints.;)

For that matter, not every Asian is Chinese. See how well they react to you in Seoul, Tokyo, or Bangkok if you say otherwise.

Originally posted by D-Man

Then, clearly, our ideal situation is to make the Evil Lord VonFu! Born of German Chinese Ancestry, he now plots the overthrow of the world by use of long lost nazi super tech, but he insists his killer robots and secret bases follow the oriental philosphies of correct energy in their shape and flow. His Shoa-Lin trianed cyborg stormtroopers are among the most feared on the planet and his Panzer 2000 tanks can, of course, morph into mechanical dinosaur shapes!

Originally posted by OddHat

Well there are always Napoleon, Alexander the Great, or Julius Ceasar...

:)

The Teutons were actually Italian [Catholic] Knights who conquered what would become Germany (1851) in the middle ages (1300's-1400's).

Caesar... Teutonic Mastermind of the preceding generations.

Napolean... from an Italian island only recently under French control.

Alexander the Great... coopted by the Romans, who were... see Caeser

All tertiary Tuetons.

Originally posted by Hermit

Then, clearly, our ideal situation is to make the Evil Lord VonFu! Born of German Chinese Ancestry, he now plots the overthrow of the world by use of long lost nazi super tech, but he insists his killer robots and secret bases follow the oriental philosphies of correct energy in their shape and flow. His Shoa-Lin trianed cyborg stormtroopers are among the most feared on the planet and his Panzer 2000 tanks can, of course, morph into mechanical dinosaur shapes!

You see, now you're getting into the correct groove...

• 7 years later...

Re: Attack of the Non-Teutonic masterminds!!

For that matter' date=' not every Asian is Chinese. See how well they react to you in Seoul, Tokyo, or Bangkok if you say otherwise.[/quote']

We covered that a bit already, with Shiwan Khan, Tamerlane, and the Thai mastermind. Genghis Khan outmatches them.

All I can think of is Boris Badenov' date=' not exactly a mastermind.[/quote']

Rasputin!

Stalin is actually a nickname meaning steel- what if he were a strange visitor from a destroyed planet...

General Winter, credited with defeating those who invade Russia (main exception being Mongols, who ruled there for ten generations- Mongolia is colder than Siberia, due to higher elevation).

Baba Yaga was already mentioned.

Also see the mysterious Baron Roman Ungern von Sternberg. The Baron, IRL, was a mystic who was fascinated by the beliefs and religions of the Far East such as Buddhism and Lamaism, and who believed himself to be a reincarnation of Kangchendzönga, the Mongolian god of war. Ungern-Sternberg's philosophy was an exceptionally muddled mixture of Russian nationalism with Chinese and Mongol beliefs. However he also proved to be an exceptional military commander and his forces grew rapidly.

If you are inspired by certain silly science fiction novels - A Pacific Islander discovers there are other people in the world besides his people. His response' date=' "They will have to go." Take it from there.[/quote']

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinelese_people

Make it North Sentinel Island in the Indian Ocean.

And drop a maguffin on the island to give the whole local population a radiation accident.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Accident

Some of you may be familiar with the classic series of Superman animated short films from the 1940s, created by Fleischer Studios. In one of them the antagonist is a Native American demanding that the island of Manhatten be returned to his people, its "rightful owners." He had created a sizeable laboratory complex underwater off New York harbor, the control center for an elaborate earthquake-inducing system with which to force the island's current inhabitants to evacuate.

Although this villain has clearly Amerindian features and skin tone, and slightly longish hair, he's otherwise remarkably un-cliche for an American film from that era. He wears a suit and tie, speaks educated English, and is obviously wealthy and well-versed in science. At one point Clark Kent even briefly acknowledges that his claim of ownership over Manhatten might have some validity.

The Oligarch: The Oligarch lives at the Center of the Earth in a massive obsidian stalagtite/stalagmite that runs the length of the Hollow world. He controls the laws of magic and how they work, and his goal is nothing less than to remove Technology from the world and replace it with magic. Meet this villain soon in the supplement Hero System Boards fans demanded, Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Doctor Kukulkan: This armored supervillain would seem to be fairly middle grade, except that he has killed more members of the Super Powered International Research and Investigation Team than all other villains in the world combined. His Feathered Serpent theme combined with a brutal, savage intellect make him one of the globe's deadliest foes.