Steve Reviews INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL

Steve Long

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Steve Reviews INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL

Was it better than Temple of Doom?

I would say yes ... I didn't mind ToD, but it's my least favorite of the bunch :)

Was it better than Cats?

Man, I hope so!

I'm going to provide two answers, with the caveat that in general I like ToD; while it's weaker than Raiders or Last Crusade, it's not bad. Just being weaker than a great movie and a really good movie does not make a movie bad.

1. I don't think I can fairly answer this question without the perspective of time. Ask me again in, say, a year after I've seen KotCS at least once more.

2. The Club Obi-Wan sequence of ToD was, IMO, better than the entirety of KotCS.

The club scene in ToD was a great piece. The best in that film and it beat out many from Raiders.

I'm taking the wife on our first date since September. So it will be good no matter what.

2. The Club Obi-Wan sequence of ToD was, IMO, better than the entirety of KotCS.

Great bit. Even though no Nazis getting shot or beat up. :D

Much like the great opening bits for Bulletproof Monk (hey, Nazis!) and Hellboy (hey, more Nazis!).

And the first part of Mummy Returns from the excavation to the house fight to the museum fight and the bus escape. I frequently watch through there, then turn it off. Second part of the movie nowhere near as good.

I'm off to see it in the morning, definitely not wearing my Akubra Federation hat, Peter Botwright jacket and MkVII gas-mask bag (I wouldn't want the cinema staff to think I was obsessive or anything :D) and all I'm looking for is an enjoyable B-movie style adventure. The one great thing about the Star Wars prequels is that they have provided a wonderfully low benchmark for new films: Whatever else, I can be confident of walking out of the cinema thinking that it was better than those three.

I'm off to see it in the morning' date=' definitely not wearing my Akubra Federation hat, Peter Botwright jacket and MkVII gas-mask bag (I wouldn't want the cinema staff to think I was [i']obsessive[/i] or anything :D) and all I'm looking for is an enjoyable B-movie style adventure. The one great thing about the Star Wars prequels is that they have provided a wonderfully low benchmark for new films: Whatever else, I can be confident of walking out of the cinema thinking that it was better than those three.

LOL I wasn't all that surprised to see the Indy wannabes at the opening, but I was surprised the theatre let in the fake guns.

I enjoyed the movie, even though I wasn't hopeful after the opening scene. And for what it's worth, I liked it better than Temple of Doom.

The club scene in ToD was a great piece. The best in that film and it beat out many from Raiders.

I'm taking the wife on our first date since September. So it will be good no matter what.

OMG...too funny. I am taking my wife on a date to see it too and we have not had a date in a long time...two young kids... ;)

This movie should have been better. Much' date=' much better.[/quote']

I must agree, and I regret that. I think there are two things that bothered me in KotCS, and I will wrap them in spoiler tags for everybody's benefit.

1. The other three Indy movies used the 1930s as a source for genre tropes and background color. KotCS uses the 1950s as a source for stereotypes with which it slaps one across the face, sometimes in a very over-the-top fashion.

2. The story is about a 50/50 mix of an Indy movie with an episode of "The X-Files," and it turns out that the two don't mix particularly well.

I must agree, and I regret that. I think there are two things that bothered me in KotCS, and I will wrap them in spoiler tags for everybody's benefit.

1. The other three Indy movies used the 1930s as a source for genre tropes and background color. KotCS uses the 1950s as a source for stereotypes with which it slaps one across the face, sometimes in a very over-the-top fashion.

2. The story is about a 50/50 mix of an Indy movie with an episode of "The X-Files," and it turns out that the two don't mix particularly well.

why is that?

Back from the early showing (unfortunately, this being a Bank Holiday weekend, it was not as kid-free as I'd hoped) and I must say I very much enjoyed the film. Yes, it could have been better; it could also have been far worse, and although that's no recommendation in itself I think it caught the tone of a solid adventure romp pretty well. Some humour, plenty of inventive and well-executed stunts, nods to the previous instalments and some of the most appropriate use of CGI I've seen in a recent film, generally using it to enhance other effects instead of replacing them.

It also had a non-screamy female character and no Short Round, two major points in its favour :D

I could point to a number of slightly niggling things here and there - I'll probably spot more on the next viewing - but that can be done with any of the Indy films... they're not perfect, but they are fine entertainment.

And for the slightly more obsessive Indy fan: Did you notice that he wore the shoulder bag over his jacket instead of under it?

If Raiders and Last Crusade were 10 and Temple of Doom 9 then Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I'd call a 8.9 to 9.2 depending on how much you liked Temple of Doom. It's really that close for me. I think I came across harsher than I intended before. It most definitely NOT a bad movie and well worth it to see.

I enjoyed myself quite a bit. It wasn't perfect, it could have been better (almost anything can) but it also could have been much worse.

Greta movie. The use of commies and alien refernces is perfectly fine. This was an older indy, and to keep it set with 1930's era references wouldn't have made any sense.

I think expectatiosn of many are being raised way, way too high. Solid movie all around. This isn't high drama, this is Indiana Jones. I you think about it too much, you just aren't getting the point of the movie.

That isn't hard to do. ToD is the Highlander two of the franchise.

I put KotCS up just under Raiders and Crusade and way ahead of ToD.

There is a different feel to it that many people don't like, but I saw it as reflecting the movies of the era that Crystal Skull was set in.

If Raiders and Last Crusade were 10 and Temple of Doom 9 then Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I'd call a 8.9 to 9.2 depending on how much you liked Temple of Doom. It's really that close for me. I think I came across harsher than I intended before. It most definitely NOT a bad movie and well worth it to see.

I enjoyed myself quite a bit. It wasn't perfect, it could have been better (almost anything can) but it also could have been much worse.

I'd put raiders and Last Crusade at 10, Crystal Skull at 9 and Temple at 5 or so (I really didn't like Temple of Doom).

I enjoyed it. Yes, it could have been better. (What? A whole adventure in the Amazon and no piranah?!?) I think it served its purpose very well: a salute and coda to the series. Self-referential enough (and cross-referential: I'm sure others noticed Ford's line 'I've got a bad feeling about this...'; and does anyone think that having 'General Ross' involved with the bomb test sequence is just a coincidence?) ) to be amusing without being too heavy-handed about it. Karen Allen was a lot of fun to watch: not much for her character to do, really, but I always like watching an actor really enjoying a part. And I missed Solly: it would have been nice to at least have a tip of the hat to him, like they did with Brodie and Henry Senior. If anything, the SFX were a bit heavy - apparent influence from Mummy and National Treasure (which were, of course, inspired by Indy in the first place) in a couple shots at least. I think part of the impact is lost because there have been those other movies with the same flavor, successful in their own right.

This movie should have been better. Much' date=' much better.[/quote'] I think that the film was always going to garner reactions such as this. Because of the long gap since the last film and the inflated expectations of fans it was NEVER going to live up to its hype for some people. A challenge for you Steve. How would YOU have made it better ?

I enjoyed it. Yes' date=' it could have been better. [i'](What? A whole adventure in the Amazon and no piranah?!?)[/i] I think it served its purpose very well: a salute and coda to the series. Self-referential enough (and cross-referential: I'm sure others noticed Ford's line 'I've got a bad feeling about this...'; and does anyone think that having 'General Ross' involved with the bomb test sequence is just a coincidence?) ) to be amusing without being too heavy-handed about it. Karen Allen was a lot of fun to watch: not much for her character to do, really, but I always like watching an actor really enjoying a part. And I missed Solly: it would have been nice to at least have a tip of the hat to him, like they did with Brodie and Henry Senior. If anything, the SFX were a bit heavy - apparent influence from Mummy and National Treasure (which were, of course, inspired by Indy in the first place) in a couple shots at least. I think part of the impact is lost because there have been those other movies with the same flavor, successful in their own right.
i think the gentleman you refer to is named SALLAH not solly

A challenge for you Steve. How would YOU have made it better ?

Well, for a full answer to that, you need to be a Hollywood studio or director offering me a nice-sized consulting fee. ;) But I can toss out a few tiny points.

1. Don't give me damn space aliens for my archaeology hero. The concept of Maya head-binding being inspired by Area 51 aliens is awesome... for an episode of The X-Files or a Delta Green RPG scenario. Not for Indiana Jones.

2. Don't not use the signature theme music, recognized around the world, anywhere in your movie until the credits are rolling.

3. Give me some "Wow" and "oooh" moments. The first three Indy movies have plenty of 'em. KoCS didn't have a single one.

4. Stop relying on your damn CGI. It does not, per se, make a movie better, nor does it compensate for poor writing.

5. Create villains and adversaries who are interesting and intriguing, not two-dimensional caricatures. It's nice that you hired Cate Blanchett, but having her play a part does not, in and of itself, make that part good.

Well, for a full answer to that, you need to be a Hollywood studio or director offering me a nice-sized consulting fee. ;) But I can toss out a few tiny points.

1. Don't give me damn space aliens for my archaeology hero. The concept of Maya head-binding being inspired by Area 51 aliens is awesome... for an episode of The X-Files or a Delta Green RPG scenario. Not for Indiana Jones.

2. Don't not use the signature theme music, recognized around the world, anywhere in your movie until the credits are rolling.

3. Give me some "Wow" and "oooh" moments. The first three Indy movies have plenty of 'em. KoCS didn't have a single one.

4. Stop relying on your damn CGI. It does not, per se, make a movie better, nor does it compensate for poor writing.

5. Create villains and adversaries who are interesting and intriguing, not two-dimensional caricatures. It's nice that you hired Cate Blanchett, but having her play a part does not, in and of itself, make that part good.

Damn fine summary of the problems with this film. I give it a 7.5/10. Here's where I stand: Raiders is one the most perfect action movies ever made, IMO. Last Crusade is also way up there. This movie is just average. I put it on a level with the first Brendan Frasier Mummy movie.