Steve Reviews INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL

Steve Long

Re: Steve Reviews INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL

In terms of numbers, on a 10-point scale I'd give Raiders a 10, Last Crusade a 9, and Temple Of Doom probably an 8.0 - 8.5 (hard to say without more benchmarks). Not sure where I'd put KotCS, since I don't like to rank things without the perspective of time and a couple of watchings, but probably 6.5 to 7.5, somewhere in there.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be one of the few people that would put Raiders below Last Crusade so Last Crusade 10, Raiders 9, Temple 8 (Club scene 11) only because the Raiders ending was so so completely non-hero driven.

"So Indy how'd ya beat the bad guys?"

"Closed my eyes and hoped everything'd be ok."

My take on some of what ruined the feel - in the first 3 movies, Indy is seen at the very beginning in the middle of stuff. In KotCS, we have to wade 10 minutes into the movie before we see Indy.

Putting pieces of all of Spielberg's other films into KotCS was NOT appreciated (the car scene at the beginning vs AG, the ET influence, etc. ) - Indy is Indy, Indy is not the other stuff.

I think they made the right choice about not making Indy try to be 40 again, which meant pulpifying the 50's. I think they could have transitioned that to us in a better way than they did.

I loved it. But I'm a sucker for a movie I can go to and just treat it like a rollcoaster ride. (I mean really, he survived a nuke test in a fridge.... I kicked "realism" out the door in that scene and had fun).

There's one thing I would have changed.... See, Lucas needs to be slapped and locked in a closet whenever he mentions aliens. They are stupid - get over it you git.

The first 3 Indy movies all had religious/Deity based plots. And then the big finale with the really cool SFX involved a bit of Faith on Idny's part (Respect For God, Belief in Shiva, Knowledge Of God) it would have been nice to see some South American Faith added to his collection.

But no. We get stupid George Lucas Aliens. I'm beginning to dislike the man.

And Temple Of Doom becomes much better when you realize that Willie is really just comic relief and not even remotely a serious "love interest" for Indy. I always thought she was a mobile pratfall personally.

And I was happy to see that Shia could have a look on his face other than stunned-stupid like he did all through Transformers. (edit: Marlon Brando, however, he is not.)

As for the CGI ... it's not like all the other Indy movies weren't big on SFX (face melting, blue screens on rope bridges) --- you know for a fact there'd be a ton of CGI in those movies too if they had access to it back then. They were tasteful about it I felt.

It's funny, but everybody raves about the Last Crusade and it is my least favorite movie out of the Indiana Jones series. I would officially put Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls as my second favorite now that I have seen it. It narrowly beat out Temple of Doom. Mind you, the difference between my "favorite" and "least favorite" is a hair's breadth.

Let's see, didn't mind aliens. Thought the crystal skull was too cool for school. Have yet to see any meaningful dialog in an Indiana Jones movie, so the lack of it here didn't mean a thing.

For all the praise I'd heap, I disliked the killer ants CGI. Hello Mummy. Disliked the slapstick comedy. Shia LaBouf swinging like Tarzan was immediately annoying and though the Indy movies have had some physical comedy, the low-brow stuff was a disappointment.

Raiders: 10

Kingdom: 9.9

Temple: 9.8

Crusade:9.5

All great movies and all a fun time.

i think the gentleman you refer to is named SALLAH not solly

Quite correct ( I just looked it up). I had never read the name, just assumed on hearing it that it was short for Solomon or Suleiman or some such, a common enough name for the Middle East (where we first met him).

Anyway, if I were to pick a 'least favorite moment' in the film, it would be the final sequence where the valley disappears - way too much exactly like the final sequence from Mummy 2, with the whole valley swirling like a toilet flush.

I do agree that Cate was completely wasted. She was little more than a second-rate Bond villain (complete with 'theeck Roosian acksent'). Pity. Frankly, John Hurt was also wasted; he's capable of so much more, and the character had more potential.

But it was what it was. A wild ride for a couple hours, and a coda and salute to the series. At least it didn't have ewoks................................

Frankly' date=' John Hurt was also wasted; he's capable of so much more, and the character had more potential.[/quote']

Very true, although in the hands of a lesser actor I think that Ox would have been utterly laughable, whereas Hurt made him believably unhinged.

Still, it's better than the third Pirates of the Caribbean film, where almost every decent actor was either buried under latex or swiftly killed off :mad:

Well, for a full answer to that, you need to be a Hollywood studio or director offering me a nice-sized consulting fee. ;) But I can toss out a few tiny points.

1. Don't give me damn space aliens for my archaeology hero. The concept of Maya head-binding being inspired by Area 51 aliens is awesome... for an episode of The X-Files or a Delta Green RPG scenario. Not for Indiana Jones.

2. Don't not use the signature theme music, recognized around the world, anywhere in your movie until the credits are rolling.

3. Give me some "Wow" and "oooh" moments. The first three Indy movies have plenty of 'em. KoCS didn't have a single one.

4. Stop relying on your damn CGI. It does not, per se, make a movie better, nor does it compensate for poor writing.

5. Create villains and adversaries who are interesting and intriguing, not two-dimensional caricatures. It's nice that you hired Cate Blanchett, but having her play a part does not, in and of itself, make that part good.

Steve, I didn't want to get into this because it just comes down to personal preferences, but I feel compelled to say that I disagre with every single one of your points.

1. I see no problem at all with using the "ancient astronaut" idea in the movie. It's a valid cryptoarchaelogical "theory" to explore, and certainly fitting the '50's theme of the movie.

2. You've entirely missed me on this one. So I assume them using the theme in the first movie when Indy jumps on the sub was unacceptable to you?

3. There were plenty of "wow" moments for me. The whole car chase scene in the jungle was certainly worthy, IMO.

4. C'mon, Steve! Would you have been happier if they had used puppets and cardboard cutouts? The movie had plenty in it besides CGI and if the technology's there to make the scenes better, I have no problem with them using it.

5. Yeah, 'cause like Mola Ram was such an intricately developed character in ToD. :rolleyes: We got enough of the villain's personality to explain why she was there and did the things she did. Anything more is padding. Even you have to admit that's certainly in genre for pulp.

What it sounds like to me, Steve, is that you went into that movie looking for things to complain about. And for that I feel sorry for you, because you missed out on the fun. :(

One thing I kept thinking was "This is kinda stupid... wait, it is any more 'stupid' then stunts they'd pull off in the Pulps? I guess not." Especially if you factor ERB into the equation.

1. I see no problem at all with using the "ancient astronaut" idea in the movie. It's a valid cryptoarchaelogical "theory" to explore, and certainly fitting the '50's theme of the movie.

Thank You! There have been so many theories on South American cultures and the possibility of alien influence. Heck, I almost expected a Yautja skull to be in there somewhere (as parts of the set reminded me of some scenes in AvP). To be honest, I would actually peg the alien bit on Speilburg rather than Lucas, as these aliens could be linked to the Close Encounters species :)

As for the '50s theme, I think Nestor hit it on the nail there :D The 50s took science fiction and ran to a higher level with it IMHO. Many great sci-fi classics came from the 50s and this movie seemed to be a bit of an homage to that :) I give Indy :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thank You! There have been so many theories on South American cultures and the possibility of alien influence. Heck, I almost expected a Yautja skull to be in there somewhere (as parts of the set reminded me of some scenes in AvP). To be honest, I would actually peg the alien bit on Speilburg rather than Lucas, as these aliens could be linked to the Close Encounters species :)

As for the '50s theme, I think Nestor hit it on the nail there :D The 50s took science fiction and ran to a higher level with it IMHO. Many great sci-fi classics came from the 50s and this movie seemed to be a bit of an homage to that :) I give Indy :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

That was my opinion. It's 1957, so you get the A-bomb, Communists, fly saucers, and space men. Heck, one of the rejected ideas for Indy 4 was "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars"!

Guest steamteck

I'd put raiders and Last Crusade at 10' date=' Crystal Skull at 9 and Temple at 5 or so (I really didn't like Temple of Doom).[/quote']

You Rated Temple of Doom way too high IMO. so you must like it more than me.

IIRC from interviews... the alien plot was actually ALL Lucas, and part of the reason it took so long for Movie 4 was that Spielberg and Ford rejected several scripts going back as far as 1998 involving aliens.

I mean, I can see the "spacemen" aspect of a good 1950s movie. But all the other Indy movies involved religious aspects, so I felt it was a diversion that needn't be done. Were it another Tomb Raider movie (or other similar knock off I'd be like 'aliens, cool.')

At least it didn't have ewoks................................

What' date=' you missed them? :D[/quote']

I missed the ewoks.

So I reloaded and aimed more carefully!

Well, for a full answer to that, you need to be a Hollywood studio or director offering me a nice-sized consulting fee. ;) But I can toss out a few tiny points.

1. Don't give me damn space aliens for my archaeology hero. The concept of Maya head-binding being inspired by Area 51 aliens is awesome... for an episode of The X-Files or a Delta Green RPG scenario. Not for Indiana Jones.

2. Don't not use the signature theme music, recognized around the world, anywhere in your movie until the credits are rolling.

3. Give me some "Wow" and "oooh" moments. The first three Indy movies have plenty of 'em. KoCS didn't have a single one.

4. Stop relying on your damn CGI. It does not, per se, make a movie better, nor does it compensate for poor writing.

5. Create villains and adversaries who are interesting and intriguing, not two-dimensional caricatures. It's nice that you hired Cate Blanchett, but having her play a part does not, in and of itself, make that part good.

Well I can certainly agree with you on point 1. While I was intriuiged by the idea of using the crystal skulls as a "maguffin" I was dissapointed that they didn't use a more humanoid skull (most of the extant crystal skulls look far more human than the one shown in the film).

I liked it. Funny, but the whole nuclear test town thing at the beginning was something I remembered from another movie. The Hills Have Eyes. I wonder if I watched the movie again would I notice a missing fridge?

I thought the movie had a very definite 50's feel to it with the Mcarthyism mentaliaty and the space aliens. The ending was wonderfully understated, although you could see that Indiana was finally settling down. Oh, and Marion Ravenwood was always my favorite Indy woman.

I finally saw this yesterday. I was fine with the use of aliens, as that's also a stock pulp trope.

I think Blanchett's character might have worked better if they'd played up the obsessive need to uncover mysteries over the 2D commie villain aspects of her character -- especially as her need to understand secrets was what killed her in the end.

I loved seeing Marion again, although I wonder why her kid thought her name was Mary. I mean, who doesn't know his mother's real name? I could have stood a little less googly eyes from her as well - wasn't her independence what made her so cool in the first movie?

I was very glad when someone pointed out that gold isn't magnetic, because that had been bothering me for a while. Once it was an explicit science-doesn't-work-that-way, I didn't mind so much.

All in all, it was entertaining, but didn't inspire me to want to see it multiple times.

Did not like the movie AT ALL!

Nope, nothing to do with them Commie antagonists - hell, I am German and certainly have no problems with Nazi villains and I am far left and can take a punch in a pulp setting, especially if it fits the genre and is sufficiently cartoonish.

But in my oppinion Lucas did it again: After three great movies he put out a real stinker and (for me) tarnished the beloved memory of a great pulp character.

There was no rhyme or reason, no real plot, antagonists I couldn't care less for who did not even have half-way believable motivations (yeah, let's go after some crystal skulls if we can steal top-secret infos about the nuclear project), protagonists who throw solutions to riddles around that make no sense at all (the riddles, the solution, the way to the solution - deciphering dead language in an instant with maps and background ready and knowing the way to lost and forgotten places ... oh, Batman's forgotten his anti-shark-spray!), his "son" getting a letter from his kidnapped mum from out of nowhere and just "finding" him wthout a photo, description, anything, a double-agent with almost no motivation ("Hey, I need money and betray you ... but I am a double agent ... who is working for the reds again ... now I die .." WTF?) - and Mrs Ravenwood who turned from a nice and colorful character into a matron who is only there to link this movie to the old classics.

Is George Lucas a degenerated gambler owning money to the Mob?

Does Steven Spielberg have a heroin, opium, crack and crank problem?

Is Harrison Ford's daughter deadly ill with some sickness that can only be cured by special surgery in an orbit lab?

All these reasons would make it perfectly clear why they had to put out such a money-maker. Otherwise it is just: Greed, no style and no taste.

Hope they refrain from giving birth to another abdomination like this.

0,5 points - music was okay.

My lovely bunny wife managed to score a couple of free tickets to Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, and we went to see it last week.

Capsule Review: Raiders is my favorite, followed closely by Crusade. Apparently, the producers thought Temple was lonely, way back there in a distant, distant last place, so they made this movie to keep it company.

More detailed review under the spoiler button:

There's a problem with high expectations. Sometimes things simply can't live up to them. I tried to go into this movie with low expectations, but somehow I still ended up somewhat disappointed.

Now just to be clear, I didn't hate this movie. It had a lot of fun moments. The chase scene in the Area 51 Warehouse. The madcap motorcycle ride through the quiet college town. The car chase through the jungle. Those were all thrilling moments. But that's all they were -- moments, quickly digested and soon forgotten.

Shia LeBouf, who played Mutt (get it? Indy was named after a dog, and so was his son? Har har) was pretty good. I liked the fact that Indy was a lot less devil-may-care than in his younger days; it showed a certain believable maturation of the character. The reappearance of Marion Ravenswood was a breath of fresh air. The rest of the characters? Meh. John Hurt phoned it in. Who the hell is Mac, and why should I care? Generic Russian badgirl. Generic Russian officer. Kung-fu skull-head monkey-guys guarding an old graveyard... WTF?

And they really waved the whole "THIS IS THE 50s" flag a little too vigorously. I mean, greasers on motorcycles is one thing, but did they really have to add the above-ground nuclear testing, the rocket sled, the Red Scare, the alien autopsy, the "I Like Ike," and all the other bits? Those things added little to the movie, and really kept pulling me out of the film every time they did another.

Overall review: Too much Temple of Doom, not nearly enough Raiders of the Lost Ark. I'm glad I didn't pay to see it, and I can only give it two fedoras out of a possible five. Bunneh sez: You're going to see it regardless, so see it at the dollar theater. :thumbdown