Most interesting character ideas you've seen from others?

Supreme Serpent

Re: Most interesting character ideas you've seen from others?

I currently have an armored medic type in my campaign, Crashcart. He has a healing touch that is linked to a medium-powered telepathy (touching the body's systems via the brain, enabling him to heal what's ailing the victim or amping their physical abilities a bit). I wasn't going to let anyone get too silly with killing attacks in this campaign, but his presence lets it become a little more prevalentm though I plan to not let it get out of hand like our previous campaign - if you didn't buy lots of armor, have a force field or damage resistance, you were going to end up an ugly smear.

Crashcart (and other characters in the campaign) on my deviant art page:

http://octoberthorn.deviantart.com/

In the dawn of time I'd met a 'very creative' person that I only managed to game with a couple of times (never in Hero, pitty), but through mutual friends I'd learned of a couple of heroes he'd run in previous games. I'll do my best to recall a couple.

The Lobstrosity: 7' tall 'humanoid' brick that, you guessed it, looked like a giant Lobster. He had a few unusual disad's, like a deathly fear of lemon-butter, and taking a lot of damage from Boiling Water. And, briefly, he had 'followers' (we're talking 3rd ed or so) in the form of 3 tap-dancing Penguins.

Captain Stupendous: Pretty standard 'Superman' clone, to a point. He could fly, but only 6" above the ground and in a standing (ie: Heroic pose) position. Spoke like Dudly Do-right. Had armor, but Sfx was 'Bullet-proof chest', so there was an activation roll (ie: did attack his his chest/torso). Oh, yes, can't forget his Prehensile Tounge.

And supposedly there were more, I just never got a chance to hear of those 'war stories'. I don't think this guy so much 'thought outside the box' as much as he just didn't realise there was a box.

The Lobstrosity: 7' tall 'humanoid' brick that' date=' you guessed it, looked like a giant Lobster. He had a few unusual disad's, like a deathly fear of lemon-butter, and taking a lot of damage from Boiling Water. [/quote']

lemon-butter? I must be missing something. the only lemon butter I know is a sweet homemade sandwich spread

there's this older dude that shows up at local cons who plays some oddball characters.

One of them is an alien with tri-lateral symmetry known as Grappler. He/it shoots energy beams at people. 0_o

Another character has a secret ID that is a street performer. He wears a loincloth, body oil and bangs rocks together. I can't remember what his hero ID is or what his powerset is.

Farseeker was a character in Steamteck's fantasy/high tech game way back when. He was an indian (native american-type) shaman. He could see and interact with spirits. Essentially he had a VPP to do all sorts of things--if he could persuade the spirits to do it for him. This often involves bribes or threats.

Farseeker saw EVERYTHING in terms of spirits. Which led to some interesting ways of looking at the world. Since "lightning spirits" are what held electronic locks shut, then obviously when another player character went to work to pick the lock with her tool kit, she was torturing the spirits with her tools until they let her open the door....

In my time I've played with many a great gamer (and as many duds). There have been some really cool concepts proposed for a number a Champions game... But one in particular always comes to mind…

Now, let me preface this by saying that the player who created this character wasn't a creative guy. In fact, he was what I would call "table filler"; someone you need to include so your game has the required number of players/characters. But he was also an old friend, so he was well treated.

One day, this guy announced that he wanted to run a game. Run a game????? Everyone thought it impossible. This fella could hardly grasp some of the more simple plot threads. Running a game was just beyond his scope... Or so we thought.

Sure enough we let our old friend give it a try. Surprise of surprises, we had a BLAST!!! He did a great job.

Since that time one character from the game has stuck with me for over 15 years...

CHUGALUG: An enormously fat Bouncer at a local bar.

His attacks weren't strength based and his defense was just above normal... Regardless, he was very dangerous. If ever you stirred up too much trouble in his bar... He'd SIT ON YOU!

Even some of the most powerful beings were helpless under the hex-wide, spongy girth of Chugalug. And once an aggressor was "detained" and no longer a threat to his property or patrons he would casually expound on the distasteful nature of violence while swilling pint after pint of cool unfiltered wheat beer.

I thoroughly enjoyed Chugalug so much that he has consistently appeared in all of my superheroic campaigns hence. Currently he is the chief Bouncer for the Shooting Gallery: a gritty bar in the 7th district of Epic City.

Never underestimate the unique imagination of anyone! Given a chance they might surprise you. :)

Two stand out from the short-lived M&M campaign I ran.

Atominx was "born" when her mother was burned away by the bomb dropped on Nagasaki, and raised by Americans ("traded" to them as part of Japan's surrender). Stopped physically aging at 16, and at times it seemed her mentality was stuck there, too. Didn't do blasts of radiation, but could make a damage shield, which she combined with some basic martial arts; she could also go intangible.

Minimum Force was a carnie who, on a bet from some of his fellow carnies, took the container that held the comb in the barbershop they were in and drank the blue fluid the combs soak in to disinfect them/kill any bugs (they told him it was alcohol). Amazingly, rather than make him horrendously ill, it activated his dormant mutant genes, unlocking his power to shrink and to harness the excess energy from his shrinking for kinetic blasts, flight, and force field.

lemon-butter? I must be missing something. the only lemon butter I know is a sweet homemade sandwich spread

Heh, I've never been a fan of shellfish (being from the mid-west may be a factor) and I could simply remember it wrong. Substitute your favorite Lobster 'dipping sauce' and you have the right idea.

He's going to be very popular with the ladies....

Yes, well, there was a quote that was his standard responce to length-based questions, but I'm pretty sure it's too close to the border of 'PC land'.:angel:

Poltergeist

Amongst other things the character at one time or another was comprised of stuffed toys, bee swarms, paperclips and office clutter and once when i hadnt thought ahead, several dozen hand grenades. The guy had a great grasp of the rules and wasnt a powergamer so things worked nicely, handgrenade manikin excepted.

That, in my opinion, is a really clever application of a power.

Tell me something went boom in a big way?

One of my old buddies played a Mentalist that got all of his powers from a "secret experiment." In order for him to keep up his power set, he had to inject some sort of serum directly into his brain. When he did, there was a chance that he would suffer from intense hallucinations and when that happened, he projected Mental Hallucinations to everybody around him.

Only played alongside that character once, so I never got to really see the long term complications that might have caused. Still, it was an interesting concept.

Had another friend in a fantasy game play a goblin jester. It was almost like watching a dumb version of the Joker running around.

Two come to mind:

The first is Tinfoil man, a pretty regular super who could produce a massive Entangle. BUT, it came with Activation roll and Side Effect (IIRC), so he could get accidently Entangled by himself.

And if that happened, he could never, EVER get out.

He also had a nemesis with a similar theme, based on plastic wrap.

The other one was cooler. I can't remember their names, but I think it was something like "Sidekick" and "Invincible Man."

The trick was that Invincible Man was really a combination TK and Force Wall projected by Sidekick. The PCs never took him down, because the Force Wall was massive (in terms of protection), and of course never took any STUN.

The other one was cooler. I can't remember their names, but I think it was something like "Sidekick" and "Invincible Man."

The trick was that Invincible Man was really a combination TK and Force Wall projected by Sidekick. The PCs never took him down, because the Force Wall was massive (in terms of protection), and of course never took any STUN.

Cool! "Don't bother with the kid, he's just the sidekick!"

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Major Tom

I meant to post this the Sunday before this recent one, but things got sort of

busy. Anyway, here it is:

I was at the local FLGS, and I was sitting next to a guy who runs a Godlike

campaign, and he was explaining it and the game to a new player. During this

discussion, the GM described a character that one of his players had come up

with: a guy who not only had regeneration powers (a la Wolverine), but he

also had the ability to transmit injuries suffered by himself to other people he

happened to be looking at that time. The character (who was also an assassin)

had an interesting method of killing his victims: he would look at his intended

victim, put a gun to his own head, and pull the trigger.

Yeah, you heard right -- he killed people by shooting himself in the head (:eek:)!

Naturally, yours truly pointed out the seriously major flaw in this guy's M.O.:

all it would take to settle this guy's hash would be for his intended victim to

have good timing and a handy mirror to turn the tables on the shooter.

Major Tom :bmk:

"Fill your hand, you biscuit-eater..."

Mongo-Jerry and Rumple-Teaser

A female martial artist with claws and a male brick, both cat people, that would trade places (both would multiform into each other's character). It was a neat concept.

"Was it Mongo-Jerry, or Rumple-Teaser? Or could you have sworn that it might have been both?"

also had the ability to transmit injuries suffered by himself to other people he

Yeah, you heard right -- he killed people by shooting himself in the head (:eek:)!

Major Tom :bmk:

"Fill your hand, you biscuit-eater..."

On just project an image of whoever you think he's trying to kill, when he does the "shoot himself in the head trick" he finds he's not looking at anyone and so has to take the damage himself!

Or (knowing quite a bit about the Godlike universe) if he tried that stunt against another Talent, said Talent could engage in a Contest of Wills and, if successful, would negate Sparky's ability and cause him to take the damage. :eg:

Mongo-Jerry and Rumple-Teaser

A female martial artist with claws and a male brick, both cat people, that would trade places (both would multiform into each other's character). It was a neat concept.

"Was it Mongo-Jerry, or Rumple-Teaser? Or could you have sworn that it might have been both?"

Ooh, i like that idea.

Some of the posts here remided me of of some great players I have played with in past games.

Hippie - A hopless drug addict who also happened to be one of the world's most powerful mentalists. To drown out his No Conscious Control Telepathy, he used drugs. Unfortunately his hallucinations could be seen by everyone (AE Mental Illusions).

Tao - Two Duplicates (Yin and Yang) of one character shared by two different players. Yin and Yang could combine to form one more powerful being (Multiform Locked Out by Duplication).

Geist - A soldier who could Summon the spirits of fallen warriors (from any time period or culture) for various effects.

The best characters I ever encountered from players was when running "Over the Edge" (a brilliant game much undervalued) and I always gave players the following edict.

"In Al'Amarja being powerful is bad, because it attracts attention. You can be odd, but the closer you get to 'normal with messed up secrets or oddities' the better."

One group came up with:

Retired professional bowler on the island seeking a cure for his arthritis.

Overwrought fashion designer who'd run out of ideas and was seeking inspiriation.

A secretly hermaphroditic photocopier salesperson.

An ex-mercenary agent for collectors seeking a series of objects for a mystery client. The list of objects was great, like Hitler's back scratcher.