Weird villain idea. I need some input on.

Badger

For some reason an idea for a villain popped into my head today.

A mortician by trade. Whose power is the ability to shapeshift. But, only to take on the form of someone deceased who he has come into contact with.

Now building the character I can probably do (though I dont usually use shapeshift all that much). But, what I really need is a name for it and I really dont have much of an idea of a usage. I really dont even have a personality or motivation either for that matter. But, that should come once I can settle on a name and use.

So, what names can I use? ANd what uses can I have for him?

ANyhow, to note. Some of my brainstorms on possible uses. One, a possible spy/master of disguise that can be used by a greater villain. Or some type of burglar. Though, the burglary, has its issues. Using identification of the dead. Eventually somebody is gonna go "Hey isnt that person dead?" Or, heck, what if they pass a relative of the deceased on the street? :eek:

Anyhow, I figure all of you might get my brainstorming going.

Re: Weird villain idea. I need some input on.

First name that comes to my mind is "Death Mask".

Possible uses for him could include "haunting" someone by pretending to be a deceased friend or relative, to drive them insane (a variant on the hired assassin) or coerce them into revealing secrets or give up their possessions or positions, in order to "lay the ghost to rest."

For some reason an idea for a villain popped into my head today.

A mortician by trade. Whose power is the ability to shapeshift. But, only to take on the form of someone deceased who he has come into contact with.

Now building the character I can probably do (though I dont usually use shapeshift all that much). But, what I really need is a name for it and I really dont have much of an idea of a usage. I really dont even have a personality or motivation either for that matter. But, that should come once I can settle on a name and use.

So, what names can I use? ANd what uses can I have for him?

ANyhow, to note. Some of my brainstorms on possible uses. One, a possible spy/master of disguise that can be used by a greater villain. Or some type of burglar. Though, the burglary, has its issues. Using identification of the dead. Eventually somebody is gonna go "Hey isnt that person dead?" Or, heck, what if they pass a relative of the deceased on the street? :eek:

Anyhow, I figure all of you might get my brainstorming going.

If he can shapeshift to anyone who he touched who was dead then he can simply go around the country (or the world) touching dead people. The chances that someone dead in Chicago will be recognised by someone in New Orleans is low. Even if he were recognised they'd simply assume they made a mistake. Must just be someone who looks like him.

dead ringer

ding... ding... ding... we have a winner!!!

Possible uses for him could include "haunting" someone by pretending to be a deceased friend or relative' date=' to drive them insane (a variant on the hired assassin) or coerce them into revealing secrets or give up their possessions or positions, in order to "lay the ghost to rest."[/quote']

my first thoughts as well... especially for those wealthy families that have skeletons in their closets...

I have a question, the answer to which might inform a lot about what the villain does with his powers. Did he become a mortician because he had these powers or did the powers or his knowledge of them come after he decided to become a mortician?

This power seems to scream out for the celluar mimicry part of Shape Shift.

He is also much more of a investigative story type villain than a combat villain.

Uses for his powers:

The Con - the "haunting" option mentioned above, but also medium type scams, which would need a partner, perhaps a telepath. (There is an episode of the old Wonder Woman TV series with a psychic boy that comes to mind.)

Getting away with other crimes - With the celluar mimicry option, this character is a forensic nightmare. Most of the forms won't have police records, so it might take the police a long time to realize that their suspect is a dead person.

In either of the situation, please, make the character smart enough to use more than just people from his mortuary. Have him make a point of when picking up bodies from hospitals and morgues that he touches other bodies as well.

Another option for using his powers is kidnap a person, kill the person and use their identity. Company uses biometric security. Kidnap a worker that has a tendancy to work late by themselves. Kill them. Store the body in a way that could cloud the time of death. Get through the security easily. Steal what you need/want. Dump the body in a way that looks like the victim fell afoul of co-conspirators, after they stole whatever. Could work with assassinations as well.

Some VIPS have doubles to act as stand-ins or distractions, so they can avoid attention and/or possible assassination attempts. This guy could be brought in as a post-mortem double, to replace some prominent official after his/her death (whether by accident, assassination or 'disposal' by manipulative underlings), in order to stem panic or to provide a 'puppet' in place of the original. (IIRC, there have been some movies - both comedies and dramas - based on this idea...)

This guy could also make some money with a psychic-medium scam, where he appears as the recently dead friends & relatives of rich people, and arranges for money to be distributed according to his preferences.

For that matter, if he's clever and fast enough, he could wend his way into emergency rooms and critical-care facilities, and replace people just as they die, in order to make odd 'deathbed' requests regarding finances and such. Then he just puts the dead body back in place, and goes his merry way.

I have a question, the answer to which might inform a lot about what the villain does with his powers. Did he become a mortician because he had these powers or did the powers or his knowledge of them come after he decided to become a mortician?

This power seems to scream out for the celluar mimicry part of Shape Shift.

He is also much more of a investigative story type villain than a combat villain.

In either of the situation, please, make the character smart enough to use more than just people from his mortuary. Have him make a point of when picking up bodies from hospitals and morgues that he touches other bodies as well.

Hadnt thought fully. But I was thinking already mortician who discovered he had the powers later on.

And, oh yes, I definitely wouldnt limit him to his own mortuary. That would make too easy. Heck, I'd might even give him the ability to do with long dead people (though probably not use it with famous people, too obvious :doi:)

Some VIPS have doubles to act as stand-ins or distractions, so they can avoid attention and/or possible assassination attempts. This guy could be brought in as a post-mortem double, to replace some prominent official after his/her death (whether by accident, assassination or 'disposal' by manipulative underlings), in order to stem panic or to provide a 'puppet' in place of the original. (IIRC, there have been some movies - both comedies and dramas - based on this idea...)

Ooh, like Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist, acting as the priest in Lior(?)

To make him more limited, can only change into the last person touched, and if he changes back to normal he has to go back and touch them again.

A related power could be "Telepathy usable only on Dead People". He'd make a standard telepathy effect roll to read their memories, etc. Learn their bank account numbers, PIN, where they buried their dubloons and stuff like that there. Modified by time since death to make it harder.